Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DT Swiss "Thru bolt" QRs query
  • tangent
    Free Member

Am a little confused by these bits of kit…do they retrofit into regular 9mm QR friendly hubs? Anybody tried them?

thefallguy
    Free Member

I use the RWS skewers with my hope pro 2's. They come in different flavours-There is a version that fits a standard QR, but the one I have that looks like a bolt through needs a 9mm conversion kit from hope (two new caps) as the dropouts rest on the body of the skewer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What benefit can the version that fits a std QR offer?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thefallguy
    Free Member

I think you can just torque em a bit tighter than a standard qr

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

the RWS from DT is a 10mm axle, QR. You need DT swiss 10mm hub adaptor cones, its like a 20mm bolt thru on forks but for the rear in 10mm. Much stiffer but still quick to get the wheel off being QR. the skewer is around £40 and the hub cones are around £30-40 so not a cheap upgrade. cannot comment about using one with Hope hubs as I run DT

phatstanley
    Free Member
    scruff
    Free Member

DT 10mm rear on Hope is a bit stiffer but not an awful lot. Its expensive for what it does but it is a very good system, no more hassle than a QR. I know some levers have broke but not had a problem with mine.

foxyrider
    Free Member

oops – didn' read the OP

I have the RWS 9 and 10mm QR's to stop my rear end squeaking mostly. My Fr one is fine but I did my rear one up too tight and sheared off the little teeth inside. I fixed it by putting a bolt throught the handle and axle but I dont have the facility of repositioning after tighteneing 🙂 I haven't tried the SS QR ones but I doubt that you can get them quite as tight in the dropouts as it has a std cam handle.

thefallguy
    Free Member

on my hope wheels I run hopes 10mm bolt up axle, just need 1 allen key much cheaper, stronger and stiffer than the rws 10mm option IMHO

foxyrider
    Free Member

thefallguy has a point – I do have a double wheelset and prefer the QR as i can change punctures quicker and swap over heavy and lightweight wheelsets quickly – however if that doesn't apply you could go for a thru-bolt 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Halo Hex Keys may be worth a look

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh but they are 5mm not qwerty?

tangent
    Free Member

Ah cheers ya'll…very informative indeed.

I was wondering about the Halo allen key 'skewers' things too, presuambly they just eliminate the possibility of them loosening like QR can sometimes do , rather than offering a improvement on front wheel / fork stiffness – which it sound like the 9mm Swiss DT system does (a bit).

The crucial bit of info was that Hope do a 9mm conversion kit brilliant.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss "Thru bolt" QRs query’ is closed to new replies.