Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • DT SWISS expanding ' star ' nut adaptor issues – Pace RC200 f8
  • wm4wm4
    Free Member

Hi there,

I bought some DT SWISS XRC forks earlier this year. They have a carbon steerer and are married to a Chris King headset.

The problem i am having is that although i ensure my DT Swiss expanding steerer Adaptor (star nut) thingy si done up to at least 8Nm as specified, as soon as i try and tighten the headset, the top cap bolt pulls the ‘star nut’ out. I imagine this has something to do with the tightness of the top race of the King headset, but i guess there may also be something wrong with the ‘star nut’. I don’t really want to tighten it beyond 10Nm as it is a carbon steerer.

Anyone have any experience? I’m guessing DT may do a warranty replacement. Maybe there are other such expanding nuts on the market? Or, maybe a standard starnut is fine…?

Thanks in advance

wwaswas

Try some carbon assembly paste inside the headtube to help hold it in place.

njee20
    Free Member

There are other expander wedges, although it depends on the ID of your steerer. DO NOT USE A STAR NUT.

A bit of assembly paste and tighten it slightly more, you won’t damage the steerer unless you’re a total oaf!

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Thanks for teh replies guys, but i’ve already been down the carbon assembly paste route…

I’m wondering if there is actually a fault with the expanding nut…

ps. Anyone know what the actual name of this part is?

Thanks

wwaswas

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileCategories.aspx?CategoryID=48

Here’s a few alternatives – you can also get rods that go right through the steerer and have a nut at the bottom. Once the stem is tight you can remove them.

njee20
    Free Member

Won’t work with carbon CSUs, no hole at the bottom. They’re called expander plugs or wedges. If it’s not gripping though, try slightly tighter, all it’s for is preloading the headset, you can take it out when you’ve done that!

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice…

I think funnily enough it was more of a problem with my old pace stem not clamping sufficiently. I think it’s time to finally say goodbye to it and move towards a Thomson X4, unless anyone has any better suggestions?

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘DT SWISS expanding ' star ' nut adaptor issues – Pace RC200 f8’ is closed to new replies.