Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • DT Swiss EX471 rims – any user reviews?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Any body running the DT Swiss EX471 rims?
    Just wondering if they are good to run tubeless, if they are easy to get tyres on and if they stay true etc.

benpinnick

Yes and no. No not EX471, yes EX1501 wheels – same rims. Very good. Very, very good. Easy to tubeless too.

Check out any review of EX1501s to get a feel. If you want to do the same build, 28h 240s with comp spokes using the supplied with the rims Squorx pro locks will basically build the same wheel as a 1501.

sillyoldman

Yes – got 29er versions on 240s with DT Comps as it happens! Really nice to build – very round out of the box, so no battling to get the wheel in shape before ramping up the tension. Noticeably stiffer than the rims they replaced, and went up tubeless easily. DT do their own tubeless tape now in various widths, but it wasn’t available at the time, so just used Gorilla Tape.

wrecker
    Free Member

Yep, great rims. Replaced a Ryde trace enduro I ruined (in 3 weeks….).
    No trouble with the Dt as yet, easy to tubeless.
    I’ll get one on the front wheel in time too. Really happy with it.

wiggles
    Free Member

Had a pair in DT 350s seemed great easy tubeless and stayed true with 17st of very unsmooth rider.

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks, will take a look at the EX1501 wheel set reviews too. 🙂
    I fancy something different to the Hope/Flow norm.

honourablegeorge

They seem solid

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoCSzVmhhQ[/video]

zelak999
    Free Member

Haha! Yep tyres optional! (If you’re Gwin)

cubemeup
    Free Member

i have them on 350 hubs, great wheel feels firm and light and im 17st plus

zelak999
    Free Member

Tempted with the EX1501 wheelset after seeing good reviews of the DT hubs.
    benpinnick do the EX1501s use the 240 straight pull hubs?

hatter

According to the Pinkbike review the EX1501’s use a hub based on the 240 (the internals, bearings axles etc are the same)But use a custom 2 piece hub shell which is apparently lighter and they have the 36-tooth drive ring as standard as opposed to he 240’s which come with the 18 tooth.

So basically the same with a few tweaks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes – got 29er versions on 240s with DT Comps as it happens!

How stiff are they? Could you compare them to any other wheels in that regard?

The wheelset weight is quoted at 1670g – which seems a little light TBH.

zelak999
    Free Member

How easy are tyres (HR2s) to get on and off?

sillyoldman

Chapaking – they’re very noticeably stiffer than the Mavic EN821s and Bonty Dusters I’ve got on my other bikes.

Zelak999 – currently got a Maxis Short/Beaver combo on and they go on and off without drama. Go tubeless easily with two wraps of Gorilla tape. DT now do their own tape in 2mm width increments – I’ll use that next time I build some.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers, sounds like they’re worth putting on the wish list along with Crossmax XLs then.

sillyoldman

I’d put them ahead of Mavic completes as you can buy far better hubs than Mavic’s own.

benpinnick

@zelak99 as posted the hub is different _but_ similar enough, if you swap a 240 ratchet to the 36T light one then theres <10g between a 240 hubbed wheel and a EX1501. So not really worth worrying about!

wrecker
    Free Member

So basically the same with a few tweaks.

Making them better hubs?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss EX471 rims – any user reviews?’ is closed to new replies.