Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DT Swiss 465D rims – okay for CX?
  • mickolas
    Free Member

building a rear wheel for a cyclocross and looking for a cheap, lightish rim. it’s not going to need to withstand much abuse. I’m building it up 28 spoke and accept that it’s going to be for road and light trail use only (with racing ralphs). I weigh about 70kg so I reckon this rim should be okay.

anyone had one? all comments welcome.

Gee76
    Free Member

Haha just contemplating the same, struggling to find confirmed weights though. I’m about 82kg and will prob only go 28 on the front, plus I’d probably just stick on me 29er trail wheels for anything fun!!.

Was looking at cheap Mavic a119s but thought if the DT’s are as per the advertised wieght it might be worth a punt to save nearly 100g a rim.

Do they do the DT rims in a 26er size do you know?. Winstanleys seem to advertise the 29er version for about £22 and a non-sized (presumably 26er) version at £19.99. Just not sure if the cheaper ones would be 26 or 29″.
    Fatbirds is cheaper again at £18.99 but then they charge postage under £50 so not really cheaper.

mickolas
    Free Member

we’ve been looking in the same places. pretty sure there is a 26 option cause I’ve noticed bikes with them on (not in the real world; internetland) but not seen any for sale separately.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mickolas
    Free Member

just had a look on winstanleys and using their menu system to filter for 26″ mtb rims gives the 465D at £19.99. did you spot on fatbirds it’s only £1 more for a machined braking surface? I’m torn between simpler looks vs versatility for the future. since it’s a fairly budget rim I will prob go for looks of the disc specific.

Gee76
    Free Member

Aye, came to conclusion there’s a 26er version too. Your right tho it is just a budget rim really. I’ll only use with discs so will go fir the cleaner look. Hopefully it’ll weigh as advertised. Only wonder if there’s owt else out there that’s lighter and as cheap… Its only for my commute after all!

mickolas
    Free Member

only cheaper rims I’ve seen would be rigida. I used a set of rigida flyers from parker international. they were identical to the alex r500 they were bought to replace. they were light, cheap, not very stiff, slightly flexy at the pin joint and fairly quick wearing. no issues in use, and I did put about 3500miles on. I am a relative novice with wheelbuilding, so take that into account (they stayedvtrue though)

mickolas
    Free Member

fwiw I think in our price range the 465s outmatch everything on paper for being light and eyeleted. plus they are a bit wider than a road rim. don’t know exactly what you’re after though, in that respect.

Gee76
    Free Member

Yup that hopefully sums it up. Just after a commuter set of disc wheels for occassional use on me 29er for the commute (17miles each way so may well be once a year if this weather keeps up).

surprised at how heavy a lot of cx and road rims are and so the 465s should b a good compromise as well as being more saleable with the growing 29er market.

Just hope the weight is right and that road tyres go on ok.

mickolas
    Free Member

I believe a good rule of thumb is that a rim plays nicely with a tyre that is between 1.5x and 2.5x the rims inner bead width. iirc, the 465 has inner bead width of 16mm so that would give 24mm to 40mm tyre. a 23mm ought to be okay though. personally I liked my 25mm rubino pro3 for being good allround performance (not excelling in any area) with excellent puncture resistance.

mickolas
    Free Member

well my 465Ds arrived today. Seem nice enough. label on the rim claims ERD=604mm, which was something I was struggling to find on the ‘net.

Disappointingly, the weight is claimed as 515g. my cheap salter electronic kitchen scales put them both at 502g. a bit more than the 465g claimed on fatbirds. I’m going to email them to let them know. seems like the 26″ couldwell be 465g.

won’t be building them till next month so can’t say anything further for now.

mickolas
    Free Member

except that I just noticed they are rated to 4bar (60psi)! fine for me but less fine for road tyres…

Gee76
    Free Member

Ah bugger, the extra weight and pressure limit might rule em out then, doh. Spose it must be to good to be true if the 26er and 29ers have the same name!!!. Just had em in me basket too!.

Spose I could risk the pressures and the weights are still lighter than say an opensport and stil cheaper. Hmm I’ll keep digging.

Ta for the info tho, its most useful.. and very timely. Be interested to see how the build goes.

Gee76
    Free Member

Aha here’s the data… good old germans…

http://www.actionsports.de/popup_attributes_description.php?pID=52825

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 465D rims – okay for CX?’ is closed to new replies.