Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • DT Swiss 350 vs Hope Pro 4
  • gmtfd
    Free Member

I’m thinking about a replacement wheelset for my Spesh Chisel. Nothing special, aluminium rims with reliable, serviceable hubs. Looking around, most people seem to use either Pro 4s or 350s at this level … any thoughts on which is best? Any others I should consider?

Kato

No experience of DT I’m afraid but have Hope Hoops with Pro 4’s on all my bikes. Never had any hub issues apart from the normal alloy free hubs getting mashed by cassettes

tomhoward

Like clicky, colourful hubs? Hope.
    Like quiet(er) hubs and not so bothered about shiny colours? DT Swiss.

I’ve both and functionally, there’s very little difference.

nixie

I also have both (though I do have the ratchet upgrade on the dtswiss. Either are a good choice. Weight is very similar as is performance. If looking at new wheels unless I specifically wanted a coloured hub if go with which ever there was a better deal on (or a 240 if like the CRC deal a few weeks ago there was something killer available).

joebristol

Would agree I’d go with whatever has the best deal on. I went Hope because they were a cheaper option at the time – and that was versus the 18t ratchet ring version of the 350. Although they’re a different hub, I’ve got a pair of 370’s that are 2.5 years old and still goingbok so far with zero maintenance. So I’d have no qualms putting either option on my bikes.

argee

Much prefer DT, have 2 x 240s and 1 x 350s and have to say i barely notice the difference between the two, try and find a cheap set of M1700s, i picked mine up for 120, put a 36t ratchet ring in and they’ve been good so far, main reason for moving from hope and others is cost of maintenance, freehubs, bearings, etc are cheap compared to others as there’s so many of them about.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Don’t get 370’s or 1900’s if you
    Actually want an upgrade.

The 240’s/DT 1500’s, 350’s/1700’s with 36t are all awesome. Between these and the Hope’s I’d just get whatever is going cheapest on the day. Managed to get barely used 240’s for just over £100 on eBay before – my faves!

chakaping
    Free Member

I have gone with Pro 4s because they were available at a good price used.

And there’s not so many of the 36t 350s about, which is the version I’d want.

And, rightly or wrongly, I see Hope hubs as being more adaptable – though perhaps that’s just the front?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Hopes certainly aren’t bulletproof but they are easily serviced, and easy to change in terms of freehubs/endcaps etc. so are a ‘flexible’ option.

ogden
    Free Member

Last set of wheel I built up I used Hope hubs, mainly because they were cheaper at the time. 350’s are lighter than pro4s if that comes into it.

On a side note are Shimano hubs any good?

13thfloormonk

What IS the difference between 350s and 240s?

Re: Shimano, I always believed their hubs built stronger wheels due to better flange spacing etc. but don’t know how much that has changed in recent years.

I still like the cup and cone system they use, genuinely believe it’s smoother, but it really annoys me that they have developed a super easy adjustment on some of their hubs, but have stuck with cone spanners on other hubs (e.g. the new through-axle Ultegras). Always found the cone spanner system a bit trial-and-error…

fudge9202
    Free Member

Same here no experience with DT Swiss have had numerous sets with Hope Pro 4’s, both my current sets are pro 4, had any issue a few years ago with a hairline crack in one which was replaced with no quibble. Great customer service and technical back up.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I’ve had all 3

Got for sale a bargain set of 240s wheels ;} on classifieds

240s and 350 are essentially the same, 240s are about 30grams lighter and the end caps are different on the front, the 240s being easier to pull on and off.. Need a socket to install the 350 caps which is mildly annoying, other than that I can’t physically see any difference other than the decals

They are both lighter than pro4

Hope pro4 are louder and have had them crack around the spoke holes in the hub, my mates also had a lot of problems with the freehub pawls but more than likely down to lack of maintenance… With dt it’s just fit and forget imo and the sealings far superior

I’d have dt all day long if I had the choice, I’d have the 350 over the pro4…

molgrips
    Free Member

Are DT as modifiable as Hope? Like, boost adapters?

gmtfd
    Free Member

Very helpful advice, much appreciated 🙂 In terms of servicing, which is easier? In all the videos I’ve seen with the DT Swiss, they use a bench vice, which I haven’t got.

nixie

Yes you can boost the dts. My front is a 350 with MRP boost kit.

Re the 240vs 350 question above. There are two versions of the front 240. One that will.goto 20mm and one that is a slightly lighter version of the 350 which will only go to 15mm.

argee

As above, used a boostinator kit, works well, gets messy if you have centrelock, stick to buying a 6 bolt if you’re looking at boosting.

Have to say, overall the 350s have impressed me, also good that parts are cheapish.

bigyan
    Free Member

DT 350 uses a star ratchet, you need to unscrew the drive ring from the hub shell to replace the drive side bearing, DT tool is about £60, or there are copies on ebay. Normal removal is tool in a vice and unscrew the wheel, they can be very tight.

Hope is an easier home service I would say.

DT freehub generally works better than Hope when neglected (the basic star ratchets, the upgraded ones are more prone to slipping as the teeth are finer)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They are both lighter than pro4

Actually, no. The 240
    Is lighter than Hope but the 350 is slightly heavier.

tails
    Free Member

What’s actually wrong with 1900’s I often hear people saying they are not worth buying?

joebristol

The hub is a more basic pawl freewheel setup on the 1900’s. So far mine is 2.5 years old and trouble free with no maintenance so far. So for a budget option I’m not seeing the issue at the moment.

I expect the general consensus is the freewheel pickup is slow but maybe I’m not that sensitive as I haven’t really noticed the difference between that wheelset and the Hope Pro4 one I’ve got.

devash
    Free Member

DT 240s are slightly lighter and are made in Switzerland whereas the 350s are outsourced to Taiwan I think (not really an issue tbh because most bike stuff is made in Taiwan including frames).

I picked up a bargain set of DT wheels this year with 240s and the 36t ratchet and they’ve taken a hammering and are still dead true. Great wheels, great company. No personal experience with Hope though.

chakaping
    Free Member

1900s are good low-end OE wheels, but feel a bit dull and sluggish compared to wheels with the top end DT rims.

Fine if they come on a bike but if buying new wheels I’d always save for something nicer

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 350 vs Hope Pro 4’ is closed to new replies.