Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • DT 240 or Pro Evo 2
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi as above, about to pull the trigger on some new wheels , either hope or DTs on Ryde Trace Trail rims.

Any thoughts? I want these to last a long time, be light and relatively strong although it’s not like I’m smashing Red Bull Rampage. I’m 80kg

mrblobby
    Free Member

Unless you’re on a budget then I can’t see any reason not to go for the DT240. Lovely hubs.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

DT240 no contest there!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

In a nutshell, the DTs are better at absolutely everything. But they cost a load more. The Hopes are less good at everything but still perfectly good. They both do exactly the same job. Hope’s only other advantage is that you can easily get different colours.

There’s only 2 drawbacks to the DTs- first is price, obvz. Spare axles etc are expensive too, though widely available. Second is the centre bearing on the rear hub, which needs a special tool to change (not too expensive) and can be pretty hard work. But otoh it needs done very rarely as the shielding is so good. (most of mine have never needed it despite years of all-conditions scottish use).

Oh and some people like the noise Hope make.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes I had heard about the servicing thing, a special tool being needed. I’m in Sweden so yes probably similar conditions to Scotland. Idea is i fit and forget I.e service as little as possible.

I can imagine the noise from hope hubs clears people out the way quicker

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden a 240s, but I wonder if the 18 poe is an issue. I know you can upgrade to 36, although the ratchet is apparently weaker (and it costs to upgrade of course). I notice the drop from 72 (CK) to 36 (WI) between two of my bikes. Not a huge deal, but 18 does sound rather low.

amedias
    Free Member

As above really, unless budget is an issue or you absolutely must have funky colours then go for the DT240s every time, they are more robust, and more reliable, the pickup on the freehub is very slightly slower than the hopes but if it really bothers you there is an upgrade ratchet available to improve this, but its barely worth worrying about and a decent trade-off for the extra reliability.

I notice the difference in pickup between my 240s and CK as well, but only for the first few mins, then you just carry on as normal really, All MTB hubs seem slow compared to trials freewheels with 100+ POE but for normal XC and trail riding on a geared bike it’s not much of a problem.

In an ideal world 240s would come with a 72+ ratchet, and in pretty colours 🙂

goodgrief
    Free Member

In my experience with pro2 hubs they are not a fit and forget option, they need lots of attention when you ride in bad conditions. I switched to a dt350 and couldn’t be happier with it. I thought I would notice the slower engagement but if anything it feels like it has a more positive pick-up. I have the 36t ring sat on the coffee table but haven’t felt the need to fit it.

rudedog
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    In a nutshell, the DTs are better at absolutely everything. But they cost a load more. The Hopes are less good at everything but still perfectly good. They both do exactly the same job. Hope’s only other advantage is that you can easily get different colours.

What are DT like for warranty? Last year my 4 year old hope pro 2 cracked. I spoke to Hope who asked me to send it back, I received a new hub a couple of days later. This year when I changed my cassette I noticed the freehub was pretty mangled – I spoke to Hope about it who said that it looked like the lock ring handn’t been tightened properly but they replaced the freehub anyway.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve bee quoted 400 quid for Hope pro evo 2 on Ryde trace trail (27.5) and 463 quid for Dt 240s on same rims. is that extra money worth it then?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Everything I’ve heard about the 240s suggests the extra is definitely worth it (notwithstanding my haven’t-ridden-one concerns about lack of engagement points). That seems a really good price, where is it from?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cool glad to hear it is a good price, i have been looking at wheels evetry evening for the past month…!

Germany. Action Bikes. I am using the awesome power of the Swedish Kroner however.

amedias
    Free Member

yes, for a £60 difference totally worth it, 240s are normally a lot more expensive compared to hope, at least in the UK.

No comment on DT warranty as I’ve never had to use it, which can only be a good thing!

nedrapier

I have the 36t ring sat on the coffee table but haven’t felt the need to fit it.

Ha! Same here. bought them with the wheels, thinking I’d fit them soon as. So far I haven’t. Might do it when the bearings need replacing.

Northwind

For an extra £60 I’d take their hands off.

Re the 36T ring thing, I’ve got them in 2 of mine and normal 18T in the other. I can tell the difference but in use it doesn’t make any difference to me, it’s the sort of thing I notice when I first change bikes then forget about by the first corner. But it’s entire grams lighter 😉 YMMV of course, some people do find it important

rudedog – Member

What are DT like for warranty?

No idea tbh, you don’t hear much about it. Which is probably good… There’s a reason Hope have so many good warranty stories 😉

Gee76
    Free Member

Aye for £60 extra it sounds worth it. If your on a budget the 350 is a great choice as in some instances its not much heavier but a lot cheaper.

I believe there is a new 54 poe ratchet. Made for Bonty’s wheel sets with DT hubs and available via trek dealers. Might even be a better price than the 36t which went ballistic last year.

The 36t version saves 10g and from what I can tell seems to be figured into the DT swiss hub weights.

Hope are a good choice too but I’ve had the odd bearing go, not a real biggy mind considering their job. Hope even fixed me up when I realised one had seized about 20mins before my start at Mayhem one year.

adsh
    Free Member

Well I am not a fan of dt240s. The front has to be oversize to take more than qr. They require tools and these are very expensive.

The shielding was not good for me. 300 racing miles and all 4 bearings shot on the rear. Admit that 2 races were very wet but I am still left with a bill that would buy a new hub.

American Classic for me, lighter, cheaper and no special tools. Pro2 are great if not WW.

I could have been unlucky with my DTs

njee20
    Free Member

I’d definitely suggest you were, longevity is generally vastly superior to AMCs.

For £60 extra you’d be daft not to get 240s. The standard star ratchets are absolutely fine, I struggle to tell the difference between the ones I’ve got with the upgraded ones frankly. Non issue.

adsh
    Free Member

Hmm spose I have the tools now…..

Northwind

DT240S only requires one special tool, and only for that central bearing in the rear hub, and you can buy it online for £20 (mine didn’t have any DT packaging, mind, so it’s possible it’s a knockoff…) Everything else is the same as Hope, standard pressfit bearings approach like in most cartridge bearing wheels.

Oh, I think the standard DT front hub does QR and 15mm now? Older ones only did QR (though there is an aftermarket adaptor for 15mm available- which I haven’t used so can’t say if it works!). The oversize model now is for 20mm and is just slightly heavier.

I’ve not used American Classic though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Trigger pulled. bang… new DT 240 Wheelset on the way. Yum yum

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

DTs here too, on all my bikes for the last 5 years.
    Never needed the warranty,never even needed to change a bearing, despite frequent stream crossing/bog trotting total immersions.
    However, I had a set op Hope tis for over 10 years with only one change of bearings.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘DT 240 or Pro Evo 2’ is closed to new replies.