Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DSLR Lenses
  • Spud

I have a 400D and two lenses: the stock 18-55 and a 55-250. What would be a good all-rounder to leave on for the majority of the time?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Sigma 18-200 IS ?

sparkywalts
    Free Member

The 55-250 depending on what you do

That one would be better for sports

Spud

Well, now I’ve not got an MSc to worry about I was hoping to spend more time getting to grips with the camera and DSLR use etc. I went for the DSLR over the others partly due to the advice of the likes of SFB! The only thing I find a faff at the moment is changing lenses.

higgo
    Free Member

I looked into this a while ago and dithered between Sigma 17-70, 18-125 & 18-200. In the end I decided I’d have the quality of the 17-70 and get a separate long lens.

(but then I needed the money for something else and bought the ‘nifty 50’ (Canon 50mm f1.8) instead – great lens)

crazy-legs

I’ve got a 17-85mm f/4 – 5.6 IS on my Canon as the basic do-it-all lens, it’s pretty good quality.
    Got a fixed 50mm f/1.8 and also a Sigma 70-300. I’ve got access to quite a few other lenses (24-105 f/2.8 being the pick of them I reckon) and accessories though via the office and through mates.

The 17-85 does for the majority of stuff though and it’s fairly light.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

24-105 f/2.8 being the pick of them I reckon

you mean f4? the canon one?

Strangelove
    Free Member

I use the 17-85 as a general walkabout lens and it does the job. The image quality isnt perfect (but still good) at wide angles but it is better past 30 mm and the image stabilisation really works.

samuri
    Free Member

I would replace the stock lens myself. I thought mine was fine when I first got it but I compare the level of quality I get from my sigma 18-50 to that and it really is miles ahead. I probably use that sigma most of the time nowm when I do take pictures. My sigma 10-20 is the next used lens and my superb canon 50mm F1.8 prime next. The telephone L 80-200 is least used but that’s because it’s freaking huge and heavy and hard to lug about.

richpips
    Free Member

Depends what you’re prepared to cart about in weight, and how much you’re prepared to spend.

The Canon 17-85mm f/4 – 5.6 IS is a good lens, loads better than the kit lens. ~£200 SH and not too heavy.

The Canon 24-105 f/4L is an excellent lens, better than the above, but with a SH price over £600. It’s heavy too.

dooge
    Free Member

Ive got a 17-40mm F4 ‘L’, 24-70mm F2.8 ‘L’, both of which are amazingly superb bits of kit. Ive also got a Nifty 50mm F1.8, a lens that should be in every Canon owners range. With the crop factor it equates to 80mm, which is perfect for a portrait and general use lens.

In terms of a big zoom range and half decent performance, the 18-200mm Canon EF-S F3.5-5.6 is a great lens. Optical I.S., metal mount, not too weighty either. I think its a better performing lens at the extremes than the Sigma 18-200mm.

Alternatively, you could scrap that and get a third lens, my 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that I have for sale! 😀

Doug

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DSLR Lenses’ is closed to new replies.