Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Drying socks on a radiator, fire hazard?
  • ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Well according to my wife a water filled radiator can set fire to stuff, anyone ever heard of it happening?

jam-bo

you will die. fact.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

For goodness sake

wwaswas

do you tend to go paddling in accelerant with a very low flash point? If not you’ll be fine.

Maybe she just doesn’t like seeing socks on the radiators?

You do wash them first, not just put them on there to evaporate the sweat off, don’t you?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

..and you needed to ask the question?

stumpyjon

No

one-man-and-his-dog
    Free Member

Please tell me you don’t have children?

br
    Free Member

You will probably also get her to believe that Dick Van Dyke invented the DVD.

Plagarised from earlier in the week.

wwaswas

and that gullible is the only word not in the OED.

terrahawk
    Free Member

socks will be fine. Be very careful with gloves though. detonation risk innit.

philconsequence
    Free Member

socks dont, their ignition point is a little higher than the average water filled house radiator. however ALL womens clothes are extremely likely to burst into flames. remind her of this and tell her the internet said so.

EDIT – forgot about goves! good point…. keep them out of the tumbledryer too

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

We’ve got 3 daughters

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

tired of your boring, radiators . . . . ?

simply apply socks to top of radiator and watch as it instantly becomes a cosy warming real fire in seconds!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[hides under desk] Are you **** mad, someone let me know when this insanity is over [/stays hiding under desk]

Stoner
    Free Member

We’ve got 3 daughters

well there’s your problem. All that Oestrogen in the household is slowly turning you into a girly.

I once knew a chap at Cambridge University who was found trying to fry an egg, by holding the pan above the electric cooker ring…to avoid electrocuting himself. He was reading Phsyics by the way 😉

beinbhan

How hot do your radiators get 😯

avdave2

How hot do your radiators get

How hot does the wife get? You clearly weren’t attracted by her incredible mind. 🙂

falkirk-mark

Whats your wifes name, could it be Headofcottonwool ?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Get one of these . . . electric tea light.

When she leaves the room, place it between some socks on radiator, . . . . when she returns, if she doesn’t spot it herself, kindly point out that you think she was right, dashing to the radiator to quickly put out fake flame (weeing on flame strictly optional).

That should keep her in check,!

wwaswas

or get a pair of these;

Edit: blimey that’s a BIG sock, sorry.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Oh shit, got three pairs of socks on the spare room rad right now and two pairs of the daughters joggers on the back room one

glenh
    Free Member

Lol. I hope J doesn’t see this thread 😀

yossarian
    Free Member

Socks are highly flammable.

OP, if you are thinking of buying a dog make sure you buy a black and white one to save money on the license.

project
    Free Member

I believe after being told by a thick woman that puting half a raw onion in each sock stops the sock combusting(catching fire).

project
    Free Member

yossarian – Member

OP, if you are thinking of buying a dog make sure you buy a black and white one to save money on the license.

Posted 7 minutes ago # Report-Post

Black ones are easier to find in the snow, but white ones are easier to find in the dark 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve just heard you can get flame retardant socks. Might be worth the investment.

uplink
    Free Member

These should be OK

Bez

Can you get retard retardant socks?

Torminalis
    Free Member

According to PHYSICAL CONSTANTS FOR INVESTIGATORS the ignition temperature of Cotton is 250°C at normal atmospheric pressure levels. Polyester has a much higher ignition temperature. If you happen to wear more exotic socks then please post letting me know what they are made of so I can complete my investigation, and with it, a risk assessment of your likelihood of survival.

Radiators will burn you long before they hit 80°C so I reckon I can without any fear of legal action advise that NO, your socks will not catch fire if you put them on a radiator. Campfires/BBQ’s/Gas Fires/Night Storage heaters/Bunsen Burners/Hobs/Lighters WILL burn your socks though so be extra careful when drying using any of the aforementioned heat sources.

HTH.

ALSO – Your kettle, whilst it provides heat is also WET on the inside so you can’t dry your socks in the Kettle. The fire risk is however, minimal.

wwaswas

you should post this on the ‘stupider’ thread Torminalis, just to be on the safe side.

kaesae
    Free Member

😯

LeeW

I think you’re getting wrapped up in your username a little too much.

Oggles
    Free Member

UNPLUG your toaster and television as well, to ensure they don’t mysteriously burst into flames. You can never be too careful.

one-man-and-his-dog
    Free Member

My theory has been proved even idiots can have children.

elaineanne
    Free Member

is this a troll, i dried my budgie on the radiator after his shower and the next day he died…
    nah not really, but he did die yestaday…. oh dear..
    i dry all my sockies on the Rad,,, but isnt there something about you cant dry sealskins on the radioator

sturmey
    Free Member

I think his wife said the fluff could catch on fire. People please make sure when cleaning your belly button to dispose of the contents in an appropriate manner. I would recommend submerging said contents in water first.
    Sorry just reread op “can set fire to stuff”

namastebuzz
    Free Member

You can dry Merino Wool socks on the engine casing of a BMW Boxer but drying them on the exhaust manifold doesn’t produce such good results 😳

In some places of the internet this forum is referred to as Tardworld.

I’d always thought that a bit harsh until tonight.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Drying socks on a radiator, fire hazard?’ is closed to new replies.