Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Drybags – help for newbie bikepacker!
  • boltonjon

Hello STWs

I’m currently setting up for an overnighter and want a handlebar mounted drybag – ideally just like this one – 13 litre if possible

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16469&category_id=324

However – its sold out – can anyone point me in the direction of a similar item?

Thanks

mountainman

Got a similar size one in sports direct other week,was £5.99.

b1galus
    Free Member

Cotswold online

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    butcher

Alpkit also have the standard dry bags. Though they’re quite flimsy, depending on what you’re putting in it.

scotroutes

I don’t think anyone else does drybags with the equivalent of the Side Attach Points.

boltonjon

Heading to Cotsworlds tomorrow night – cheers guys

d45yth
    Free Member

The closest you’ll get to the Alpkit ones are made by Outdoor Research, the attachment points aren’t in as good a position though.
    I’d suggest a roll of duct tape and getting creative with fashioning some lashing points with that!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

ASDA are selling packs of 3 different sized ones for £4 at the minute..
    No side attachment points, but easy enough to Bungie to yer bars..

downshep

Lomo dive shop in Glasgow have a decent range at modest prices. Do web sales too. here

boltonjon

Found a solution

Ortleib drybags

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Any link to the ASDA bags? I didn’t think they’d have their outdoor stuff out yet.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ortleib are the choice of drybag for most self respecting front line soldiers (used as Bergen liners as the issue ones are shit). Also easily repairable with a puncture repair kit if you do manage to puncture one.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Odd, ASDA don’t have them on their online shop, but it’s a pack of 3 for £4..

Apologies for crappy photos.. 😳

Martin.B
    Free Member

Weather Resistant …. In my book that’s NOT waterproof

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Well, at £4 it could be worth a punt?
    I’ve got loads of Alpkit and Ortleib ones, but thought they maybe ok?

unsponsored
    Free Member

I use an exped cloudburst – http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/?p=4149

My thoughts on it.

wrecker
    Free Member

Exped are good, but not waterproof. Water resistant, and used as a double measure inside the ortleibs.

meehaja
    Free Member

With the Alpkit ones being often out of stock, I took to making my own in various guises. The Fabric was about £3 a square metre IIRC, and I make fixngs from bits I salvage from else where (just cut all the straps and bits off an old tent I found). Not beautiful, but effective an cheap etc.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Wrecker, my exped is mainly used in my kayak. Always water kicking around in the bottom of the boat and my kit (in the bag) always dry.

samuri
    Free Member

Any link to the ASDA bags? I didn’t think they’d have their outdoor stuff out yet.

They come free with shopping.

I’m not being flippant, I’ve been cycle commuting for a long, long time and carrier bags are your best bet for keeping stuff inside your bag dry. They weigh nothing at all, you can carry plenty of spares, they’re free, you’re helping the environment by reusing the bags and you don’t care if they get damaged.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Agreed, but they do have ‘elf and safety holes you need to be aware of.

boltonjon

I’m hoping to hand the drybag of the handlebars, so i’m not sure how effective the Asda shopping bag will be

Surely, if i hang it on its pre-designed handles, then the rain will just fall directly onto what i’m trying to keep dry

I’m not being negative – but i still need a bit more convincing….. 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Use two bags, one inside the other but with the open ends at opposite ends. Use three if you want to. Then use a bungee cord wrapped around the bag and your bars to hold it firmly in place. Learn to improvise. one day such skills will stand you in good stead.

AlexSimon

I know Alpkit know more than me about retail, but it still amazes me how regularly popular products go out of stock.

Oh it’s spring! that’ll be bivi bags, Airlok Xtras, Gourdon and maybe some sleeping mats and bags out of stock then. Seemingly every year.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’v also used plastic bread bags as drybags.

d45yth
    Free Member

I know Alpkit know more than me about retail, but it still amazes me how regularly popular products go out of stock.

+1, how much money are they losing out on by folk having to go and buy elsewhere.

AlexSimon

My guess is that their manufacturers require one or two large production runs a year and they have to commit to numbers in advance.

I suffer from it every year though – either as a buyer or when I recommend something to friends, only to find they can’t get any of it!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The dry bag shortage seems to have come a little early this year – it usually happens a month before the WRT 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Drybags – help for newbie bikepacker!’ is closed to new replies.