Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dry stone dyke building – anyone had a bash at it?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Churchill enjoyed bricklaying as a hobby.

I did this wee repair for my sister in France, it’s just as rewarding as wood stacking.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

No dyke lovers around?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I once happened upon a dyke with a gaping hole. I stuck my finger in it until it started leaking… Sommat like that anyway.

IHN

No dyke lovers around?

I’ll be honest, they’re not the kind of pictures of dyke loving that I prefer

nickf
    Free Member

Just like wood pile building (which is very similar) you have to find a home for each piece – once you’ve picked it up, you can never put it back down again!

gusamc
    Free Member

helped my dad as a nipper, go back and check in 10 years was his advice

his mates mainly did fences (forestry) it was faster

presumably you’ve seen a Caithness slab fence, was always impressed with that

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

When we lived down south I did a two day course on dry stone walling and used the knowledge to build a couple of new walls at our house. I found it very theraputic and very satisfying plus it saved us a shed load of money. The walls are still there 10 years on so not too bad a job

mcmoonter
    Free Member

presumably you’ve seen a Caithness slab fence, was always impressed with that

I wish I had a picture of the roof on the croft I restored in Orkney. I used Caithness slates for that, thousands of them in diminishing courses. The wall head course slates were 36 inches long. A beautiful material to work with. The galvanized nails I used should be good for a couple of hundred years. Many of the recycled slates I used still had their original hand made wooden pegs in them.

Kuco

Helped to build a couple of dry stone headwalls a few years ago, really enjoyed it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dry stone dyke building – anyone had a bash at it?’ is closed to new replies.