Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dry rot & oak.
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

The on going saga of sorting out my O/Hs self build has thrown up another nice surprise. Dry rot.

The structural bits are being remedied it’s the flooring I have a query on.

The flooring is a bespoke solid oak laid over plywood. The sub floor is rotten through what I’m 95% sure is dry rot. Lifting the oak floor to get to the sub floor and I find that 6 sections / lengths of the t&g flooring have the fungus on it but it’s not eating into it – i.e. it’s still very solid.

Ultimately, if I have to burn these sections then I will. However, it would be very handy If I could save this, admittedly, small number of the flooring to be re-used.

Does anyone know whether I can treat these sections with a fungicide / chemical and will be able to re-use them? A concrete floor and screed is going back down as the sub-floor.

Thanks.

br
    Free Member

Strip out every piece of wood within a yard of the damage – and burn the lot…

scousebri
    Free Member

If it is dry rot then you could have other problems around the house. Dry rot travels and doesn’t just effect timber. A masonary wash down could be required. Lift all timber and get rid regardless of weather its showing rot or not.Treat the room before laying anyting else that includes screed or concrete.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Any answers to the question asked?

tinybits
    Free Member

I don’t believe there is anything on the market that would allow you to reuse without risk of recontamination.

Fire is good.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Ce la ve.

scousebri
    Free Member

Your question was answered. You chose not to read it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dry rot & oak.’ is closed to new replies.