Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dry lube longevity
  • ferrals
    Free Member

How long does dry lube (muc-of ceramic) work in the wet? I understand its thinner so washes off quicker. Got a race on sun with forecast torrential rain, wondering whether to switch back to wet lube or just keep on with the dry stuff?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I get about 150miles from 1 application of dry lube, or about 50 from UBS in the dry. In the wet it’ll wash off in no time at all. Roadie wet condition lubes seem to be a bit more tenacious than MTB, but thy probably don’t cope with grit very well.

The only lube I’ve found lasts any time at all in the wet is putoline wax (in the tin). Expensive and a faff to apply, but if it washes off you’ve already made it 10x further than any wet lube would have done.

M6TTF
    Free Member

given up on dry lube. not found one that lasts more than a few hours on a ride. currently using morgan blue race oil. applied minimally, it seems to keep things fairly clean, and then i clean it after each ride. some would say a whole load of faff, but I like a clean chain 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

Muc off dry C3 will only withstand Cannock Chase wet riding conditions for 15-20 minutes……so if I know it’s going to rain I will just apply some Muc off C3 wet…… 😆

Northwind

Like TINAS, i stopped pissing about and now I use putoline wax, the mankier the conditions the better it is tbh.

mimmiethecat
    Free Member

Whats Putoline like in dry/dusty conditions? Have bought some but waiting to boil all my chains at once so yet to try it. Do you rinse the chain and cassette after riding to clear the mud in the winter?

Hoping to get more than one ride between applications so any tips appreciated.

Northwind

It’s fine in the dry though tbh the benefit is much smaller, I think normal lubes can match it in dusty weather. So it’s a bit harder to justify all the hassle of it. It lasts a long time in summer, otoh, and comes into its own on the manky days, so I still generally use it.

I do tend to hose it down after a dirty ride. One downside of the putoline is that it’s not a great rust inhibitor, so you need to be a wee bit careful about drying (or give it a “top coat” with another lube as protection only- I do this on my commuter)

mimmiethecat
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind, i had wondered if a rusty cassette may be a problem and thought a bit of something else maybe required.

Running X01 11 speed and the Hope thick thin wearing out that is the problem, the cassettes amazing if you alternate chains and don’t let them wear badly so hoping proper chain lubrication will help with the chain rings

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I usually only use it on my SS, I really should try it on my summer bike.

As for washing, my SS went about 3 months in my car over the winter, being ridden 3x a week (2 hours each time). The grit wore through the saddle cover, but the chain didn’t need lube or adjusting once!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

using White Lightning clean ride dry lube, did a long weekend mini road trip in north Wales (Llandegla, Coed-y-brenin, Nant-y-arian), basically dry but had a day of showers, drivetrain still quiet and smooth at the end of it.

Bedds
    Free Member

I use squirt dry lube and that seems to be pretty good at lasting in grotty conditions, the drive train stays quiet and it appears to catch the muck and fall off keeping the chain cleaner

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dry lube longevity’ is closed to new replies.