Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Dry January
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nor does feeling the need to take a one month break from alcohol.

How’s that then?…

Spin
    Free Member

Nope, pubs and restaurants will be having a hard enough time without everyone going dry for the month ahead

Nope, support your local bar and restaurant.

What a lot of bollocks, my health, my decision and the plight or otherwise of alcohol venders doesn’t even come in to it.

Any other struggling businesses you think we should be supporting? I hear Philip Morris aren’t doing so well these days…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nor does feeling the need to take a one month break from alcohol.

There’s a strange irony in this whole thread.

Unless someone is planning a 28 day Bender-Febuary to offset it, what harm do people actually see in not drinking for 31 days?

Because the weather is a bit bleak?

Because your supporting your local pub? Just spend the money in your LBS, guitar lessons, or anything else local instead.

Because ………..

Why would you tell someone who’s decided not to drink alcohol that they’re doing something wrong?

Spin
    Free Member

Why would you tell someone who’s decided not to drink alcohol that they’re doing something wrong?

Two possibilities, holier than thou attitude and/or your own unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

Edit, although I think some of the comments above were people explaining why they wouldn’t be doing it rather than why others shouldn’t.

Kryton57

I do wonder if those that are commenting they want to ease the burden of “January” with alcohol realise its a depressant?

Each to their own though.

NewRetroTom

What idiot proposed dry January?

Do you not realise that Burns night is in January?!

I shall be drinking a little and often as I do pretty much all year round.

Drac

Do you not realise that Burns night is in January?!

Yes not sure I’ll be eating turnip and listening to shit poetry, unless it involves drowning it out with whisky.  Oh wait!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I am going to give it a shot.
    Trying to lose 5kg over January (though expect that might take til mid February realistically). So cutting out some calories is good and not having a fuzzy head will help me get out and exercising in the mornings more.
    Plus, there may be other benefits like money!

Will see if I like it. Not sure. I did try going vegan for a month. Wasn’t for me, but do eat less meat because of it.

andytherocketeer

Steak for dinner last night, washed down with a beer.

That’s both veganuary and dryanuary sorted in one sitting 🙂 😉  and my only new year resolution fully resolved on 01/01 🙂

piemonster

I’m in for this.

To be fair, just a continuation to a dry December. Which being honest proved to be a brilliant idea.

I’ll spend the money on the bikes/boats/running/pianos or whatever instead.

lunge

I was perhaps a little hard on the previous page and so should add context.
    I don’t do dry Jan. I don’t drink a lot anyway, 2 or 3 pints per week, and see no reason to cut that back for a month.
    Those that I know who do, or have done dry Jan tend to be big drinkers who use it first to get over December and then to ramp up for a massive couple of sessions in Feb. 1 month off the booze makes them feel better about themselves for a month before going back to heavy drinking ways, often with a celebration night on the sauce justified by the previous month off.
    This is the reason I equated it to bad diets, most of us (not all) won’t give up booze completely, and with this in mind, I think you’re much better off cutting down and maintaining that level long term, than stopping completely before jumping back into it hard. Many diets have a similar process, “cut carbs, lose weight” which is fine whilst you’re doing it but it all goes to pot as you’ll never cut carbs forever.

edhornby

as others have pointed out, if dry January is followed by back on it February then the health benefit is limited but I’d be interested to see the intake volumes in October and February for those who do and see if a month off reduces the demand a little bit as a trend.

I’m going to see how many no boozeday Tuesday’s I can do but Wednesday is also available. I’m also going to start running again as I started to enjoy it.

piemonster

I don’t do dry Jan. I don’t drink a lot anyway, 2 or 3 pints per week

That’s about my average as well, still enough to screw over my sleep and dampen my bike/running motivation levels.

Just don’t have the constitution for even relatively low level consumption.

wait4me

2-3 pints of what? Vodka? I’m not trying to sound like Billy Big Spuds, but I fail to believe 2-3 pints of beer a week would have even the slightest effect on anyone unless they had underlying health issues.

Drac

I’m also going to start running again as I started to enjoy it.

Ranuary.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Those that I know who do, or have done dry Jan tend to be big drinkers who use it first to get over December and then to ramp up for a massive couple of sessions in Feb. 1

I can see some people doing that, but I’m not a massive drinker anyway, certainly not enough that I’d actually expect to notice a lack of hangovers or lose weight as a result of giving it up. A month without alcohol wouldn’t be unusual, dry January just puts a name on it. Seeing as I have to drive to MTB, and the roadies don’t really drink during/after rides I could happily get through to the clocks changing.

I had a beer advent calendar of 24 ~330ml bottles, didn’t even manage all of them!

Still think a moderately strict month off is probably a good thing.

I did stop for most of a year about 8 years ago, which was more of a PITA as it wasn’t fashionable to be a non drinker and there really was eff all other than diet coke, sugary pop or fizzy water to drink whilst out. These days you can go to most pubs and restaurants and order alcohol free beer. So I’d flip the argument around that you almost have to opt into drinking alcohol these days as the alcohol free options are ubiquitous (expect perhaps a decent bitter).

2-3 pints of what? Vodka? I’m not trying to sound like Billy Big Spuds, but I fail to believe 2-3 pints of beer a week would have even the slightest effect on anyone unless they had underlying health issues.

Bear in mind that 2 pints is officially a binge, and 4 pints will probably see you under the influence the next morning (based on the 1 unit/hour +1 rule of thumb).

And even “the industry” is realizing this, only the ruddyest nosed ‘gammon’ still spouts the crap about moderate drinking having health benefits (wine contains tannins which are good for your heart or whatever, but so does tea).

Spud

Not for me, would have failed on Day 1 anyway. I shall be cutting it back to once a week, twice max every now and then for the foreseeable regardless as I was pre-Xmas. Just general fitness and feeling better through the working week. Weight is also a factor seeing as I broke my leg nearly 3 weeks ago.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I did this 4 years ago and haven’t looked back, hit a huge reset button on my drinking habits. Apart from stopping smoking it’s the best thing I’ve done. I’m not teetotal, still partake in holidays or occasional nights out but by and large I’ve reduced my intake drastically. I doubt I consume in a year what I’d consume in a week/weekend in my 20’s. Benefits include, more money, more motivation, less post piss blues, definitely a more positive outlook, more brownie points with the wife, more time to do good stuff. Really made me question why I saw alcohol as almost a necessity for a load of stuff.

geomickb
    Free Member

@YoKaiser well said.

I stopped in August and definitely think the benefits of not drinking outweigh the benefits of drinking. I didn’t really stop for a reason, maybe just to challenge myself. I’m not sure if I will ever drink again.

I never really made a conscious decision to become a drinker, it just happened, now I am in a position to decide if I want to be one or not.

If anyone is considering taking a break from booze, I would say go for it.

Mick

piemonster

2-3 pints of what? Vodka? I’m not trying to sound like Billy Big Spuds, but I fail to believe 2-3 pints of beer a week would have even the slightest effect on anyone unless they had underlying health issues

Beer, in the 4-6 % category. Or equivalent total alcohol in wine/whisky

I wouldn’t have thought it’d make much difference either a couple of months ago. But you’re really into the realms of a mental response rather than physical response. That once, at a push twice* a week consumption was just enough to knock my momentum so it never really got going.

*id very rarely drink 3 pints or equivalent in one sitting.

jimster01

I’m not doing Dry January per se, I am intending to go 30 days alcohol free starting on Monday 6th. So far I’ve knocked the wine on the head, that was getting silly and gone back to having a couple of beer’s,still not good but a step in the right direction.

Did 12 weeks before Christmas, had a few drinks over the period and been pissed twice. Today’s hangover after JD and a poor nights sleep signals the start of it again for me

theboatman
    Free Member

So the 1st saw us polishing off the last of the house booze, the 2nd and 3rd have been dry, but heading off on a walk that will end in some food and drinks in a pub in Great Longstone, but no booze in the house for when I return. It’s going better that I had anticipated.

stormtrooper
    Free Member

We’re doing it and so far so good, including going out for a birthday meal. Having said that, I can only drink so much Coke/lemonade – any recommendations for alcohol-free beers?

jimster01

My go-to is soda water and lime, seems exotic but isn’t.
    Alternatively elderflower tonic water..

sadexpunk

im not currently enjoying any AF beer, so looking at other options away from coke.

so far im liking fizzy white AF wines from marks and sparks, and morrisons. also liking ginger beer plus sparkling rhubarb flavoured water (tesco) plus different tonics from time to time. cant find the marks and sparks AF G&T in stock anywhere.

airvent
    Free Member

Barely drink as it is, I only really have something if theres a special occasion such as a birthday outing or work christmas party. I can totally agree with the comments by @piemonster, you would be surprised how much difference 3 or 4 pints in the week can make to your overall wellbeing. And your wallet.

iancity1
    Free Member

Stopped between Oct and December but then got LOADS of alcohol for Christmas that I’m currently working my way through!!
    Hopefully last pint tonight and then alcohol free from here onward…we shall see 🙂

CountZero

I had a couple of pints on Friday night, a couple more on Saturday, a pint in the pub in Avebury after a walk up to and along the Ridgeway this afternoon, then a pint after dinner this evening, followed by a shot glass of Talisker I bought before Christmas.
    I may or may not have a pint or a shot tomorrow evening, the same through the week.
    Pretty much as I’ve done for years, usually two pints each Friday and Saturday, then nothing until the next weekend, and possibly something during the week if I’ve got anything around the house, in fact I found a bottle of Highland Park hidden away that I’d forgotten I even had, it may be two years ago I bought it!
    I’ve never drunk to get drunk, don’t like the feeling, but I do enjoy the flavour, and I’m buggered if I’ll give up doing something I like, in moderation, just because someone on the Internet or in the media sez so.
    I don’t have much in life to really enjoy, I don’t ride anymore because my knee’s messed up, and I’ll probably be walking five or six miles in the rain tomorrow, so I like to have something to look forward to later.
    So there.

ahsat

Not had a drink since the 30th when I realised it was one of things causing my ectopic heart beats. This week I’m running an academic conference for 112 people – I’ve never been to a conference dry, let alone run one, but as the ectopics keep me awake I’ve decided to not drink in the hope of getting to the weekend in one piece! I think given the current affects of drinking, it’ll probably be a dry Jan though it’s been very tempting at times. I’m already feeling the wider benefits and I was only a 1-2 drinks, 2-3 times a week person before.

dazh

Was gonna do dry January this year again, but then Mrs Daz reminded me of what a miserable **** I was last year so that made my mind up. Also NYE and XMAS resulted in loads of booze being left here by guests, so I’m working my way through that. It’s basically not paying for booze January 🙂

piemonster

you would be surprised how much difference 3 or 4 pints in the week can make to your overall wellbeing.

Saying that, I only managed 6 days of 2020 before I was in at the physio 😂

And your wallet.

Physio has seen this off!

To be fair, mostly a preventative step as the fairly significant increase in exercise (about +18hrs mostly running for December which was also dry) has put a significant strain on things. Injury risks aside, I lost 12lbs from November 28th and I didn’t take any prisoners over Xmas, a lot of food was consumed.

I’ll just have to be sensible about what I’m doing as I continue to increase workload. No extra running but more biking/swimming/Pilates.

piemonster

Oops, 10 not 12

mikey3
    Free Member

Anyone going to start riding a bike for January or is bragging that you are going to keep drinking like some teenager all you are capable of 😉

scruff9252

[strong]mikey3[/strong] wrote:

Anyone going to start riding a bike for January or is bragging that you are going to keep drinking like some teenager all you are capable of 😉

Ride a bike? and be one of those bloody cyclists who don’t pay any road tax and break pedestrian’s arms?! I don’t think so!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I hadn’t planned on doing it but it just seems to have happened. Dry so far and not particularly missing it. Mind you I have avoided pubs and the like.

First test is this Saturday 3pm when I’m off to the footie. always meet up with mates for beers beforehand so may just say I can’t make it as being in a pub and drinking soft drinks is the pits.

Caher

Loving dry January – no queues at the bar last Saturday.

binners

I’m heading to the Brewery shortly for a few beers to celebrate it being midweek. Anyone joining me?

piemonster

Sorry can’t make it, I got Tofu to eat!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Dry January’ is closed to new replies.