Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Dry January
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I know giving up booze threads are popular on STW but I didn’t spot a Dry January one. Anyone doing it?

Coyote
    Free Member

Nope.

Murray

Yep, a change is as good as a rest

justmoochingalong

January is depressing enough without making it worse. Have a little drink and think of spring.

mogrim

Yes, I’m in. Could do with losing a couple of kilos and I’m sure my liver will love me for it.

beej

Having my first beer since 5th November right now. So, um, no.

deserter
    Free Member

I’m in but still have a few beers in the house so will finish them off tonight and do an extra day at the end

Already planned it anyway so had a bit of a blow out over the holiday period, like drinking beer but just can’t be bothered anymore

I was appalled with myself when Strava told me I only did 22 bike rides last year and none of them were longer than 90 mins, I no longer identify as a cyclist

FB-ATB

I prefer Dry Gin-uary.
    If your liver could do with a rest, probably better to cut down throughout the year.

wordnumb
    Free Member

January so far has been wet.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m going to do it. I had a few weeks off beer in autumn 2019 and my wallet thanked me for it. I’m a bit skint after Christmas and there’s nothing exciting happening socially so it seems like a good idea.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Yes, I’m in. Might finish a little early as I’ve a dinner on 29th, but will try to be dry till then.

w00dster

Yep I’m doing it.
    Had a fairly rubbish year for riding last year so plan is to get fit and maybe race again this year.
    First ride of the year completed this morning, Llandegla. No hang over and great weather.
    Back to work on Monday, it’s going to get tricky a week on Friday after both me and Mrs W have had a busy week at work and we’re both wanting a glass of wine.

CheesybeanZ

Its been difficult but dry so far .

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Nope, pubs and restaurants will be having a hard enough time without everyone going dry for the month ahead. Planned a few local beers next weekend

chevychase

Gonna hit keto and lose the two stone I put on by indulging faaaar too much over the last year.

Obvs that comes with not drinking as beer is full of carbs, slimline tonic is shite and prosecco is depressing.

Will take the opportunity to do a bit more XC riding and the weight’ll fly off.

I don’t miss alcohol on keto anyway – but not looking forward to legions of fatties calling me an idiot again for *actually doing something* rather than saying “oh I wish I was slimmer” whilst stuffing cake in their over-used maws…

mattbee

Damp January- only drink in pubs and restaurants, not at home.

Drac

Pffft! No.

mboy
    Free Member

Gonna hit keto and lose the two stone I put on by indulging faaaar too much over the last year.

Obvs that comes with not drinking as beer is full of carbs, slimline tonic is shite and prosecco is depressing.

Will take the opportunity to do a bit more XC riding and the weight’ll fly off.

I don’t miss alcohol on keto anyway – but not looking forward to legions of fatties calling me an idiot again for *actually doing something* rather than saying “oh I wish I was slimmer” whilst stuffing cake in their over-used maws…

Sounds similar… Well apart from the Keto bit. I just choose to eat a bit healthier, cut out so many refined carbs, eat more greens etc. Was up @ 14st7 the other day! Shocked me. Hadn’t even over indulged recently, or so I thought. Already under 14st again on the scales this morning, and kicking the booze into touch (not that I drink that much, just the stuff that I like is full of calories!) for the month will help too… Found the first few days a bind last January, the following 3 1/2 weeks were easy, and come February I wasn’t craving a drink at all!

Kryton57

Back on the low carb / no booze when training, racing or recovering after a 4 day Christmas break so it’s not a yes exactly but a yes by default.

Garry_Lager

Going to go dry-ish – wife is not drinking so will join her at home, prob have a few ales out and about. Did 4 weeks dry running up to Christmas no prob.

Really need to go cheese-less but that’s the stuff of fantasy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yep, I’m not a big drinker anyway but definitely over did it last month.

January is depressing enough without making it worse. Have a little drink

Not sure drinking to cope with the weather seems healthy!

Nope, pubs and restaurants will be having a hard enough time without everyone going dry for the month ahead.

Margins are better on soft drinks.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I remained dry for a few hours. So a resounding no from me!

Edit: I’m not planning on having a drink tomorrow, so it’ll be a dry Thursday. One day at a time eh!

theboatman
    Free Member

They’ll be no home boozing in Jan in our house, the girls and I are polishing off the last of the supplies whilst watching the darts. No sure I could survive Jan without the odd pub tea.

cheers_drive

Yes, not to give my liver a rest but just to reset my drinking levels back after January to 3 nights a week rather than every night of December.

binners

You go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, it’s cold, wet and miserable… not a chance.

I’m up for pissed as arseholes January instead thanks. There’s going to be an awful lot of cheese and red wine involved

Who’s in? 😃

Yak

No, just ease back a bit. Well, after the 6th anyway. No fitness/xc work anyway until spring so it’s all fine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, it’s cold, wet and miserable… not a chance.

Used to think that way too, for years, realise now drink just makes it even more depressing. Skint, rough and unhealthy to add to dark and shite weather.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’m up for pissed as arseholes January instead thanks. There’s going to be an awful lot of cheese and red wine involved

Who’s in? 😃

Oh yes please, you can count me in…

Drac

Oooh! I’ve a lot of cheese left.

Poopscoop

Just popped in to say I thought the thread title related to something else.

As of an hour ago I’m off the wagon for the year on that one anyway. Kaaajingggg.👍

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Oooh! I’ve a lot of cheese left.

Cool, I’ll bring the crackers 😉

Duggan

Won’t be bothering here as I wouldn’t say I’ve drank loads over Christmas anyway and I’d look to reduce over the whole year if I was going to bother. Also I have exams mid-January so definitely will be looking to have a pint when they’re finished.

On the other hand, whilst I don’t do new years resolutions I’m trying to eat more fruit and veg and home-cook more which I think will be more beneficial for me than going teetotal for a month.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Scandinavians have a nice methodology when it comes to this sort of thing.

Give up booze (or anything) for 1 day a week, 1 week a month, one month a year, one year a decade etc.

But then this is the continent that gave us the concept of pantsdrunk.

bruk

Starts today. Had friends round for a bit of roast beef so had to offer them some nice red to go with it. Wife decided she would be dry though so I had to finish it last night after they left 😀.

No white wine left from the majestic trip but lots of red left over so will have to wait till February now.

jon1973
    Free Member

Not sure drinking to cope with the weather seems healthy!

Nor does feeling the need to take a one month break from alcohol.

Drac

Starts today.

You’ve failed then.

chestrockwell

Yep, the Mrs and I are having got a bit greedy in the run up to Christmas. Hoping to extend it further too.

lunge

Nope, support your local bar and restaurant. Margins are only better on soft drinks if people actually go out and buy them, in January they generally don’t. There’s 3 or 4 new places in Birmingham that I’ve been waiting for Jan to visit as they were rammed in December.

Plus, isn’t Dry Jan just an extension on fad diets that people talk about? By all means cut down, but for most people not drinking at all isn’t likely to be sustained and will lead to a February blow-out.

Haze

Will be putting the brakes on quite a bit this month, won’t be fully dry as I still have stuff in the house which I’d rather see off first.

In this for the longer term as I’m interested to see how it might benefit training and recovery, allowing myself the odd social drink (not session!) should hopefully make it more sustainable.

mogrim

Plus, isn’t Dry Jan just an extension on fad diets that people talk about?

Dunno, but given it’s got backing from alcoholchange.org.uk I’m assuming it’s not that bad an idea. What with them being experts n all 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Dry January’ is closed to new replies.