Dry feet?

Home Forum Bike Forum Dry feet?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dry feet?
  • will64

Waterproof overshoes or sealskin socks? Which are more reliable/less likely to get trashed off road?

Premier Icon Northwind

Long sealskinz socks. I know not everyone likes them but I swear by them, sometimes get a bit of water into the shorter ones (but still, it’s warmer water) but the long ones have been pretty much perfect. Might not be saying that by the end of the winter though!

I had some SealSkinz socks once which were very good but expensive.
    Even better though and a third of the price are army surplus goretex bootliners. Usually about a tenner on Ebay.

Premier Icon takisawa2

Endura MT500 overshoes. My feet would of had a drenching on Cannock Chase today, but remained lovely & dry. Devils own work to get on but great bit of kit.

Dubbin ?
    I use it on my motor bike boots,smells a bit though!

Knee length sealskins…army surplus jobbies…but the socks not boot liners.

Sealskins knee length socks plus I’ve just started wearing Berghaus gaiters from Amazon…..awesome bits of kit totally prevent any water running over tops and help to keep feet warm

Used my shin length seal skins and still had wet feet on Saturday which was frustrating but I was out for 6 hours and my shoes were already soaked through at the start so they were fighting a losing battle! Pair of overshoes on top and they would have stayed dry

Premier Icon cookeaa

I’m in a similar boat to the OP, and I can’t really justify Proper winter cycling boots to ‘er indoors TBH…

I went out for a Sunday road bimble yesterday, 2.5 Hrs, no actual rain but plenty of standing water and No guards on my road bike at present (Yes I know) Normal Thin socks Standard shoes, newly acquired PX Neoprene Overshoes…

My feet were warm enough for ~2 hours but then some cold/dampness started to creep through via the toes, clearly their ability to keep your feet warm diminishes the damper they get through spray. which Got me thinking that any longer rides, especially in the rain, will need a bit more supplimentary effort to keep my feet warm and dry.

My old overshoes did a better job of keeping the water out (Pro H2O) but they lacked any real insulation and Have started to disintegrate after 1.5 Years.

I can see any 3 Hr+ rides over the coming months being a real issue, especially in the rain, if I don’t find a better solution:

-First and foremost Guards will help reduce the source of the problem significantly, on the road bike but I don’t do guards on the MTB.

-I’ll probably try the handwarmer trick (mentioned on another similar thread recently), keeping the shoes warmer for longer should help offset the effects of the cold and damp ingress.

-I was toying with the idea of painting a bit of PVA glue or similar on the front area of the overshoes to try and help repel water a bit better, a bit of rather basic water proofing… bit of a marginal one TBH

-I may well simply try Gaffa taping up all the vents in my shoes maybe even tape a it of extra waterproof material on there to slow down the water ingress, “Breathability” can take a back seat here I think, no real harm in trying this one TBH

-I may give some Goretex boot liners a go, but I wonder if they would suffer similar issues to seal skins…

or some combinations of the above ideas.

All of that lot doesn’t address the primary route water takes to get in if you actually ride in the rain, which is water running down your leg, I know some people have variously used dry suit ankle cuffs or chopped up marigolds to prevent water ingress, gators might also help with this.

Sealskins don’t really seem to work (YMMV) they simply collect water around your foot IME (although I’ve not tried the Knee length ones, I can see how these might be better), OK it tends to stay there and hence it gets warmed by your body, but my real issue is keeping water out and heat in, the need is to minimise water penetrating at all, once your footwear starts to take water on it just acts to conduct heat away from your foot and make any insulation largely useless…

Any arrangement that let me keep my feet warm and dry for 6+ hours would be ideal, But TBH I’m under no illusions about the limitations of overshoes and/or waterproof socks, they just won’t do it without some extra effort…

The Simplest solution might just be to take some extra warmer packs and a spare pair of overshoes, taking 5 mins to stop and change overshoes might make all the difference if I’m chasing a century…

Premier Icon yoshimi

Sealskin socks along with tights* (over the socks) works for me

Prob best to use Lusso Max Repel or Endura with the waterproof shins etc. but most do a good job of stopping water running down into your socks

i find what happens with sealskinz is that your shoe gets wet – your sock gets wet and then what you have is your foot in a nice wet heatsink thats being perminantly chilled by wind as you move – then the sweat that the sealskinz dont let out gets cold and your foot is cold.

Winter boots (I currently use Northwave) with walking gaiters to keep the water off your lower legs and stop it running in the top of the shoe.

I have just been using cheep walking gaiters off of eBay, but I think I’m going to get some neoprene ones as the walking ones are too loose and end up rubbing everywhere or getting caught in the drive train.

Premier Icon molgrips

Nothing beats winter boots imo.

Premier Icon Phil_H

Shimano mt91 boots with yeti gaters over the top.
    Maybe not the best look but kept my feet dry and toasty at the puffer this year.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl

How do you chaps secure gaiters? Use the strap that goes underneath your shoe? On flats, how does that work in practice?

Thanks. 🙂

the strap for gators goes between the heel treads and the front treads – in the gap between the two –

should only be an issue with flats if your pedaling with your heel for some reason.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl

Thanks, will need to give it a go!

Premier Icon smett72

Sealskinz socks, tights over the top and Endura overshoes yesterday. No rain, but plenty of puddles, streams etc. Still had toasty warm dry feet 2 hours later.

I’ve only just started using the Sealskinz socks and I agree with trail_rat. Wet shoes and cold winds do suck any warmth out of your feet.

Premier Icon epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    i find what happens with sealskinz is that your shoe gets wet – your sock gets wet and then what you have is your foot in a nice wet heatsink thats being perminantly chilled by wind as you move – then the sweat that the sealskinz dont let out gets cold and your foot is cold.

Sandals with Sealskinz allows freezing water to drain immediately, unlike in a waterproof shoe where it stays.

The important things with Sealskinz is don’t let water in the top – you’d have the same problem as filling wellie boots with cold water – it stays there.

Also it is important to avoid a tight fit – I think it must stretch the membrane or something like that. I usually wear a lightweight merino sock as well.

The next point is you need to keep your feet dry and not sweating. No point in keeping the water out if you are producing your own supply inside the waterproofing. I use anti-perspirants for this.

I did some experimenting with this by immersing my foot in icy water, and then going for a 2 hour ride.

My feet stayed warm. I’ve used this in the ‘Puffer but sweat eventually makes the foot damp so a change every 4 or 5 hours is necessary.

The biggest disadvantage of sandals is that they generally don’t have the best tread for winter conditions but by shedding the water immediately they get rid of the worst of the problem.

Scotroutes was going to experiment by drilling holes in the soles of some old boots, so maybe he’ll get round to it now the weather for it is here.

Also don’t underestimate the value of effective mudguards for keeping your feet dry.

(I have a particular problem with cold extremities because I’m on blood thinners, so keeping warm and dry is really important for me.)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dry feet?’ is closed to new replies.