Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dry eye sufferers, what do you do…
  • tomhoward

…to, you know, see?

Went to the opticians t’other day, as my vision is a bit bluurred now and then, fully expecting to come out with a pair of bottle bottoms, but no, I have near perfect vision, it’s just the lenses are cloudy as my eyes were really dry so she gave me some drops and sent me on my way.

They do work, kind of, but I have to put them in pretty regularly, more so in the cold (eg at the start of every decent at Gisburn on Sat). Short of having the end of Toy Story 3 or Educating Yorkshire on loop in my mind, is there anything else I can do?

40mpg

Swimming goggles filled with saline solution?

McHamish
    Free Member

Due you know anyone who suffers from an excess amount of saliva?

Probably help each other out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cry?

I’ve got blepharitis/ dry eyes, It’s a bloody nightmare. I have to bathe my eyes in warm water every morning, then I use an eye bath to wash any remaining crap out, then I use Optive Plus eye drops during the day. Luckily (?) I get 2 bottles of drops on 1 prescription, theyr’e normally about £10 each. I’ve tried Optrex for dry eyes etc but eye find Optive Plus is better than anything else. (see what eye did there) If I don’t do all that my right eye just feels like It’s got a film over it.

tomhoward

Ah, see, I’ve been using cold water (to try and ‘wake’ me up), will give warm a whirl tomorrow. tried crying, couldn’t, I’m dead inside.

Will look out for the Optive plus stuff too, as I get free prescriptions

*awaits flaming*

Flamers are free to swap free prescriptions for type 1 Diabetes (which is probably in some way responsible for the dry eyes, but i’m not at retinopathy stage yet) any time they like.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I seem remember someone telling me that tap water is the wrong PH for your eyes. Hence eye washes being saline. I use tired eye drops when I’m ti4ed through long shifts at work.

lungman

Try and find out the reason behind the dry eyes. Hopefully the optician should do this. Once the reason is known be it evaporative,allergic,mucous or lipid deficient then a better treatment plan can be arranged. Do you have itchy lids,how do your eyes feel first thing in the am? did you suffer from acne as a child? I might be able to help a little but much better to have a look.

tomhoward

Do you have itchy lids? occasionally

How do your eyes feel first thing in the am? You know when you are really tired, almost too tired to sleep (i know…) like that, it gets better, but not much thought the day

Did you suffer from acne as a child? nope

Going back to the opticians in early feb for another look, good to know what i should be asking, ta!

lungman

For blepharitis there are a few good treatments i’ve had a lot of success with blephaclean for this. Please avoid baby shampoo or bicarbonate of soda as both these destabilise the tear film solving one problem but making another worse

lungman

If your lid margins are pink and itchy could be mild blepharitis. Try artifical tears last thing at night and first thing in the am also regularly during the day to preempt the dryness rather than react to it. Hope this helps

tomhoward

Will give it a whirl, thanks!

um, lid margins?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I didn’t even know I had blepharitis till the optician told me. 🙄

Lid margins are just that, the edges of your eyelids where the lashes sprout from. My optician explained it as ‘eczema of the eyelids’ Yuck!

rangeroy
    Free Member

I suffer from cronic blepharitis but i find using a hot tea bag compress over your eyelids works pretty well to clear the tear ducts in the mornings.

bones
    Free Member

Usually cadge a box of baush & lomb mini dropper things off my brother, who gets them on prescription. Work a treat.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Blepharitis here too. Affects my sensitivity to bright sunlight too. I find the wipes work (blephaclean whatnot) as the infection are at where your eye lashes grow.

dudeofdoom

+1 for chronic blephartis….

was in a right mess for abou 3-4 months until a consultant diagnosed it and bunged me the steroids.
    optitions and eye hospital didn’t pick up on it..

it’s evil some days are better than others but it’s pretty yuk…..

I use hot beanbag when it’s crap and wipes everyday with the option of getting steroids if it flares up badly.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dry eye sufferers, what do you do…’ is closed to new replies.