• This topic has 82 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Dry Atheletes….
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Not drinking for a month is hardly a challenge is it?

I’m having deja vu. Did we do this topic last New Year?

For some it is a challenge. For others, it’s just an easy way to raise some charity money. There’s probably a whole spectrum of people in between.

Drac

I’m surprised no one has mentioned that already and it’s not been covered.

IanMunro
    Free Member

That’s right ross980. Let’s make it challenging like say running 100 marathons in 100 days.
    Now let’s see how many people sign up.
    Oh.
    I’ll sponsor you a pound for each one, but you’re not getting the money if you don’t complete it 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

how about those people not drinking just put the money they save to charity and then they wouldnt have to ask for sponsorship…

Drac

how about those people not drinking just put the money they save to charity and then they wouldnt have to ask for sponsorship…

Some might be and then also kindly ask for a little more you know for charity.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You know what maybe they are. You can ask when you meet one.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Instead of doing this as a sponsored event, the Dry Athletes should simply donate all the money they (don’t) spend on booze to charity. Everyone’s happy.

[EDIT Jambo beat me to it]

nealglover
    Free Member

Reading a one and a bit page thread is too much of a challenge for some people it would seem, so who knows.

boxelder

Holy fuss in a teacup

It’s Cancer Research, highlighting the dangers of too much booze/cancer, for people who perhaps need it pointed out to them, whilst also earning some money.
    It’s like a sponsored silence for kids in the behavioural unit at school……….

Just say no to them, explaining why and that you already donate to chosen charities via gift aided standing order.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Instead of doing this as a sponsored event, the Dry Athletes should simply donate all the money they (don’t) spend on booze to charity. Everyone’s happy.

Sigh.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not drinking alcohol for a month is hardly a challenge is it? Come on now!

jam-bo

if they capped it off with a sponsored skydive I might reconsider…

ross980
    Free Member

Oops, wrote the post a while ago but forgot to hit the post button.

Ian – why not make it about doing something rather than not doing something. I’m sure they’re are plenty of sedentary people out there who would really benefit from walking a mile every day in January (in one go). Not too difficult takes only 15/20 minutes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

15/20 minutes

45 mins for some people…depending on how sedentary they are.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You can ask when you meet one.

All very admirable, but what this whole thread highlights is that some are uncomfortable in dealing with people asking for sponsorship if they don’t believe in it for whatever valid or mis-judged reasons. One of the great things about putting sponsorship requests on the internet (e.g. Facebook) is that you don’t actually have to say “no” to someone’s face when asked to sponsor them.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m sure they’re are plenty of sedentary people out there who would really benefit from walking a mile every day in January

Any minute now STW will erupt with people who just refuse to get the point, telling you that walking a mile isn’t a challenge and fat people shouldn’t be “getting paid” to exercise.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s Cancer Research, highlighting the dangers of too much booze/cancer

Too much cancer can be pretty nasty

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can’t believe we’re actually encouraging people to join a dryathlon in this country. Is it really that hard to give up alcohol for a few weeks?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ian – why not make it about doing something rather than not doing something. I’m sure they’re are plenty of sedentary people out there who would really benefit from walking a mile every day in January (in one go). Not too difficult takes only 15/20 minutes.

Indeed, and because this is a sports relief year, later on in the year, when you stand more chance of getting people outside, I imagine they’ll be plenty of such events. People will then whine that these things won’t be a challenge either 🙂
    Giving up alcohol is still pretty good though.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m finding it hard to motivate myself to work this morning. If only someone would pay me to do it.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m finding it hard to motivate myself to work this morning. If only someone would pay me to do it.

I’ll donate £2 to cancer research if you pull your finger out and get on with it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

So you’re giving all your pay to charity.
    Cool.

ross980
    Free Member

Indeed, and because this is a sports relief year, later on in the year, when you stand more chance of getting people outside, I imagine they’ll be plenty of such events. People will then whine that these things won’t be a challenge either
    Giving up alcohol is still pretty good though.

You’re probably right.

convert

I did a sponsored tandem charity jump and genuinely felt guilty about it because there was no element of challenge for me. I fully understood some people’s reluctance to sponsor me.

These are the only requests I refuse – simply because so much of the money I donate is going into the expense of the ‘experience’ for the sponsored person. Oh, and chuggers – would never sign up to a direct debit to a charity via a 3rd party street ‘charity’ worker simply because of the commission that is taken before the charity you think you are donating to gets a penny. If they convince you on the street that the charity they are ‘working’ for is good tell them so but inform them that you’ll be signing up directly online. They tend not to like this much!

Dryathlon – where’s the harm? Some people think a bit about how much they consume, the connection between excessive drinking and cancer is reinforced in the public consciousness and a few quid (I suspect a very few quid) is made too. I’d imagine the money raising aspect is relatively secondary – if it raises enough cash to fund the campaign but a bunch of folk have a healthier month then that’s great.

scotroutes

Anyway, isn’t it Fanuary now? Anyone had requests from their lady friends for a bit of sponsorship yet?

convert

Anyway, isn’t it Fanuary now? Anyone had requests from their lady friends for a bit of sponsorship yet?

Without photo evidence I’m not sure I’d be convinced. Second thoughts……

Drac

Ah that reminds me Scotroutes meant to send a tweet yesterday.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I don’t drink, and get stick for it from people who i haven’t known me long. Saying you’re not drinking for charity sounds like a great way to shut up the idiots who don’t understand there is life without booze – and there are many more than you’d think.

jamj1974

FFS. It’s only a mechanism to get people to give. Charities get more money by keeping awareness high through things like this.

It’s really simple – give if you want or don’t give!

soobalias
    Free Member

is Lance allowed to compete in a dryathlon?

alaslas
    Free Member

If people in this country need an incentive to see there’s life without drink – and a whole month might be a life changer for these people – then what’s the harm?

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned Movember yet! Sponsoring a man to electively suspend shaving of his upper lip! What next? He’ll only shave it off when the month’s over… Etc.

I’m doing an unofficial and un sponsored dryathlon this January, just because I want to. Might give a few pints’ worth of quids to a worthy cause when I’m done. And see if I can bear existence without those few pints. I’ll be over compensating in riding and running time, so shouldn’t be too tough, but if I didn’t have these interests I’d be twiddling my thumbs.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned Movember yet! Sponsoring a man to electively suspend shaving of his upper lip! What next? He’ll only shave it off when the month’s over… Etc.

That’s because people don’t get on their high horses over facial hair.

But alcohol that’s a different matter, lots of opportunity to be all superior and talk down to/about people.

If it was about TV we would now be listening to people telling anyone that will listen that they don’t have a TV and don’t miss it at all. (But waste countless hours online, a lot of it more than likely watching TV 😉 )

Drac

“Son, never trust a man who doesn’t drink because he’s probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They’re the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They’re usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they’re a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can’t trust a man who’s afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It’s damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he’s heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.”

? James Crumley

alaslas
    Free Member

I used to read Charles Bukowski’s novels and got sucked into the romance of booze. Though I still occasionally kneel before toilet bowls, I’ve kind of grown out of the belief there’s something decent or redemptive in frequent excesses.

Also, I think the above author’s point is aimed more towards the self-righteous, per se, rather than January abstainers. And did Crumley ever witness the spectacle of any British town centre on a Friday or Saturday night? More people trying to run away or hide from themselves there, I’d warrant.

soobalias
    Free Member

i made an effort this christmas to spend my money locally.

no chance that im going to withdraw my support for the local breweries and pubs for a month. Charity begins at home after all.
    Still for those who give their hard earned to a large faceless multinational…. then sit at home drinking…. maybe a month off will give them some perspective.

Lets follow Fanuary with Pubruary.

Junkyard
    Free Member

WTF is that only trust those who take drugs and do them to the level that they need to puke before a toilet as anyone else has issues

granted its well written and poetic but its bollocks
    How much easier would your job be without drunks Drac – the real job and STW 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

For some people not drinking for a month is o problem at all. For others it is a challenge. For some people doing a 50 mile cycle for charity would be a challenge. For most of us we could do 50 miles this afternoon. Everyone’s different.

I think it’s a good thing. I used to be cynical about these sponsored events as I was of the opinion “Well why not just give money regardless”. However I realised that people are more likely to give if they are actually asked.

That said, being dry in January isn’t for me. I’ll certainly be cutting back quite a bit, but I have a few social events on that I know will be more enjoyable with a few beers. If you are going totally dry though then well done, good luck and enjoy February 1st!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

See my post on page 1 🙂

jam-bo

See my post on page 1

there is a page 1?

PrinceJohn

There is a danger tho – if a dryathlon became a massive, massive thing, there might be no booze companies left to sell booze after a month of empty pubs.

No one thinks of the breweries, I’ll be doing my best to support them this January… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Dry Atheletes….’ is closed to new replies.