• This topic has 82 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Dry Atheletes….
  • PrinceJohn

I’m sorry but I’m getting properly annoyed with people signing up to this to try & get people to sponsor them for not drinking alcohol for January… If you want some money from me, do something worthwhile & something that will stretch you & push your limits. Going without booze & asking for money to do so is just embarrassing…

scotroutes

I’ve never heard of it, but thanks for the warning. 😆

bearnecessities

I’ve not heard of it either; sounds bonkers!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Haze

Dryathlon, I suppose if sponsorship motivates someone to give up alcohol for a month and a charity benefits then it can’t all be bad…

MrSmith
    Free Member

What is the point? I expect most will just binge drink at the end of it anyway. If you want to moderate your drinking just get a grip and do so instead of involving others in your lack of willpower.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

PJ, I agree entirely, what a pile of shite.

wingnuts

I’m happy to offer my services and be a “wet athlete”. I assure you I’ve trained hard over the last few weeks and with the right sponsorship…….

nealglover
    Free Member

FFS stop whining.

it’s just people raising money for Cancer Research !

What does it matter what they do to achieve it ?

You’re making it sound they are trying to make money for themselves 🙄

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes it’s another pants thing for a worthy cause.

Giving up something you don’t need at all? what hardship does not having a drink bring? Many people don’t drink anyway.
    I drink, but I know I didn’t drink from early September until Christmas Eve, super long distance dryathlete.

oldgit
    Free Member

What does it matter what they do to achieve it ?

Because it’s being racist to teetotalist’s

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I expect most will just binge drink at the end of it anyway

You should add that you have no idea if that’s true or not.

nealglover
    Free Member

Because it’s being racist to teetotalist’s

They can do the opposite and get sponsored to spend January out on the piss.

Pieface

Its a sad reflection of our nation that a month is seen as a big challenge and that your sponsors agree too by sponsoring you.

Its great that a charity benefits but it shouldn’t be the deal some make it out to be. I did it last year as a response to requests / statements of intent. Was quite easy and will be doing it again maybe.

nealglover
    Free Member

I expect most will just binge drink at the end of it anyway

So what if they do.

I sponsored a bloke doing the Great North Run for Charity.

I didn’t refuse and say….

“Balls to him, he’ll probably just stop running and have a sit down as soon as he’s finished” 🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

I sponsored a bloke doing the Great North Run for Charity.

I didn’t refuse and say….

“Balls to him, he’ll probably just stop running and have a sit down as soon as he’s finished”

He should be taking the bus … 😆

tomd
    Free Member

It does seem a bit odd to me. Feels very much like sponsoring someone to do something they should be doing anyway (controlling their drinking).

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Address your complaints to Cancer Research, they came up with the idea. I’m doing it, and as a daily drinker, who likes wine and has a glass a day, I will find it a challenge due to habit, albeit a very easy one compared with the things I’ve done for charity before.

I wont be badgering people for sponsorship though, i will donate a bit myself.

fasthaggis

Fundraising needs fun in it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You should add that you have no idea if that’s true or not.

No I don’t, I’ll make my own assumptions thanks.
    Why should I do that when the most of the interwebs spurious statements don’t come with such disclaimers?
    Unless you can show me peer reviewed research that proves otherwise.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No I don’t, I’ll make my own assumptions thanks.

spurious statements

😆

chewkw
    Free Member

Can someone sponsor me to sleep early please as I usually sleep less than 6 hours per night. I can’t seem to sleep earlier than 2am. For every pound sponsored I promise to sleep at 10pm per night …

:mrgreen:

muggomagic

I didn’t realise it was a charity thing. I thought it was just a change for life type thing (but just for a month). It may or may not be difficult depending on your addiction I suppose. Then it’s probably a lot tougher for most than growing a moustache or wearing a red nose.

Edric64
    Free Member

Im doing a version of LEJOG in June and im getting fed up with being asked if its for charity .No its a bloody holiday !do you lie on your fat arse in Magaluf for charity?

mogrim

I’m having a dry January, mainly cos I drank far too much over the xmas period. No charities involved.

Its a sad reflection of our nation that a month is seen as a big challenge and that your sponsors agree too by sponsoring you.

Good luck with that sentiment, you’re only fighting against 1000’s of years of beer drinking…

samuri
    Free Member

If anyone has lots of alcohol but is going dry for January email me and I’ll let you know where to post it.

For charity you understand.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon I might have a beer after reading all that

MrSmith
    Free Member

I might detox for January. Some celeb with a DVD to sell says its brilliant.

premier
    Free Member

I’m thinking of doing a sponsored nostabbingpeopleathon if anyone’s interested in supporting a worthy cause?

Drac

No really it’s not. It’s a bit of a novelty thing to ask people to go dry after Xmas and NYE to raise money for charity. It’s neither a challenge or a reflection on the nation.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m thinking of doing a sponsored nostabbingpeopleathon if anyone’s interested in supporting a worthy cause?

What charity are you raising money for ?

That’s the important bit.

I couldn’t care less what you are actually doing to raise the money.

jam-bo

is not having an alcoholic drink for a whole month really that much of a challenge people have to be sponsored to get through it?

Drac

is not having an alcoholic drink for a whole month really that much of a challenge people have to be sponsored to get through it?

No. Well not for me but maybe it is for other people or others are just doing it to raise money for charity as it’s an easy way to raise money.

nealglover
    Free Member

Are you deliberately not getting the point, or is it accidental ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I might do a gettingthepointathon neal.

Will you sponsor me? 😛

nealglover
    Free Member

I might do a gettingthepointathon neal.
    Will you sponsor me?

Which charity are you raising money for ?

IanMunro
    Free Member

As others have probably mentioned making a challenge “challenging” is self defeating if your aim is to get as many people as possible participating. The challenge in these things is never the headline event, the challenge is getting people to dig into their pockets.

No doubt there’s some people who said it’s not worth sponsoring someone to do this, but the thing is there’s a world of difference between expressing this thought on a forum, and refusing point blank to donate when someone you know actually asks you face to face.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m all for raising money for charity by whatever means and accept that some sponsorship challenges are more worthy than others. I did a sponsored tandem charity jump and genuinely felt guilty about it because there was no element of challenge for me. I fully understood some people’s reluctance to sponsor me.

As for Dry Athletes, I definitely feel uncomfortable about it as a challenge but struggle to put into words why. Does it mock alcoholism?

For some people I’m sure it very much is.

nealglover
    Free Member

Does it mock alcoholism?

No.

DezB
    Free Member

How do they prove they’ve done it? Regular breathalyser tests?

ross980
    Free Member

Its a sad reflection of our nation that a month is seen as a big challenge

^This. Not drinking for a month is hardly a challenge is it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Dry Atheletes….’ is closed to new replies.