• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • drunken questions – 'them' vs 'us'
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

How do people (The Athertons as an example – I’ve just been watching their youtube vids) ride so quickly?

This is partly rhetorical but also a proper question? How do their wheels stick going around corners with the g’s wanting to pop them over the top of the berms? How can they ride over rocks so sharp / steep / off-camber without being tossed over the bars? How can they postiton their bikes so perfectly in the air to nail a sketchy landing more delicately than I can get out of be in the mornings?

I think I understand XC / road cyclists; a lot of it is down to spending more time on the bike or in the gym (or taking drugs) and have dedication most of us only dream of. But when it comes to the speed of reactions and the skill to blast down a hill at the speed of a pro, I just don’t get it.

Is the fact that I can’t imagine being able to do it, the explanation as to why some (few) are pros and the rest of us pootle around singletrack having fun at our relative walking-pace?

brant
    Free Member

10,000 hours innit.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s all CGI.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrecker
    Free Member

Am I the only one wondering why the OP is drunk at 1645hrs on a work day?

tomhoward

Poets day innit…

Edric64
    Free Member

It is POETS day though .I expect he started drinking early

loum
    Free Member

It’s POETS day

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I live in The Philippines!

2350 here and I pulled the short straw. Home to relieve* the baby sitter whilst my wife’s at the pub.

*no laughing can’t think of a better word

bigyinn
    Free Member

FNNNAAARRR!

tomhoward

Home to relieve* the baby sitter whilst my wife’s at the pub

So long as the baby sitter isn’t ‘relieving’ you… 😉

johnikgriff
    Free Member

We (all mortals) are just shit on a bike, some just less shit that other (im more shit) thus think we’re quick until you ride with someone not shit……

I’ve seen Dan close up on a local trail and ridden the Apls with a girl who rides World Cup (top 20 ish at the time). It’s almost like they are riding a different trail than me. It’s hard to explain, but their line choices and position into corners just puts them in better positions, pump the trail everwhere, pre jump stuff etc etc all for higher carried speed, everywhere. It’s ace to watch but difficult from behind as they just **** off so quick.

ojom
    Free Member

Because they work and train harder than you can imagine.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Oh and this ^^^^^

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Commitment, practice, a large amount of brutality to the bike*, a willingness to get properly hurt.

…and good genes, plus an early start in most cases…

*having been riding with and watching some semi-pro DHers recently, they really do force their bike to do what they want it to – it’s part of how they corner so fast and generate so much grip – me, I take a much more softly softly approach, and gently guide it, amost suggest where I want it to go. Means I can ride anything and everything pretty smoothly, but ultimately limits how fast I am.

…and more, and more and more practice…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Big balls.

soobalias
    Free Member

strong desire to succeed

cloudnine
    Free Member

Gravity has a stronger pull on certain people… Making them much faster down hill

martymac

i remember watching an interview with joey dunlop at the iom tt, and they asked him how he was able to ride so quickly, and his reply was that it only seems quick to us, it didnt seem quick to him because he was used to going at those sort of speeds.
    mega practice, mega fitness innit.
    obviously im not saying that just anyone could do it that quick.

bearnecessities

Am I the only one wondering why the OP is drunk at 1645hrs on a work day?

I live in The Philippines!

Bedminster would also be acceptable.

MSP

I have always thought a big difference between “them” and “us” is their acceptance of the bike being out of shape and moving around under them, getting kicked about etc but just expecting it to come back on line, so they are getting ready for the next turn or flick or jump, while us mere mortals are kecking our pants tensing up, grabbing a handfull of brake and doing the completely wrong thing.

(and it probably helps to have your suspension set up by fox’s top race mechanic, rather than your mate Trevor who’s watched some vids on pinkbike)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘drunken questions – 'them' vs 'us'’ is closed to new replies.