Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Drummore, near Stranraer, Dumfries & Galloway – anyone know it?
  • Andy

Hi

Does anyone know anything about Drummore, Dumfries & Galloway? Whats good, whats bad, whats interesting?

My 79 year old Mother has decided to move up there from Essex, and apart from it being on Luce bay and the southern most village in Scotland, I know nothing about it.

Oh and any decent local riding other than Kirroughree?

Thanks

scotroutes

Strangely enough, I passed through there on Saturday morning. Not much to see really, it’s a very small village surrounded by a scattering of houses. I guess there must be a little through traffic on account of being right next to the Mull of Galloway lighthouse (most southerly point in Scotland).

Mull of Galloway by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

The Rhinns are mostly cultivated farmland and cattle grazing so not a lot of scope for trails.

Might I ask why she has chosen to go there?

Andy

Thanks Scotroutes (YHM). Mull of Galloway looks worth a visit. She is Scottish, so its a return home after 50 years in Essex, albeit not to Brechin, her hometown.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Andy

Bump for the evening shift? 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I guy I know moved to Drummore a few years ago, bought a cottage overlooking the sea for peanuts, did it up & is now happily retired. He does loads of sea fishing so it’s perfect for him. We used to go to the caravan site on Luce Bay (Sandhead?) when the kids were little. It’s a lovely area & I’ll be back sometime!

If I’m not mistaken the cottages at the lighthouse are holiday rentals.

geoffj

Underrated bit of the world – bit of a ball ache to get to though.

Andy

We used to go to the caravan site on Luce Bay (Sandhead?)

Yup so did we as kids in the 70s. That site is mostly statics now but there is a nice site at new England bay

bit of a ball ache to get to though.

Telling me when I got to Carlisle I thought I was nearly there… 🙄

scotroutes

Carlisle? You’ve not even started 🙂

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/07/pushing-envelope.html

Criffel and sand by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Andy

bloody pensioners 😉

So from Drummore to the Mull – did you go via road or is there a coastal path?

EDIT#1 actually I’m pretty certain of a coastal path as I think my Uncle coordinated work on it

EDIT#2 good blog – btw not planning whereto sleep at the end of a ride is part of cycle touring I think?

scotroutes

I used the road but there’s a path going most of the way along that coastline – normally on the south of the Mull.

I’m a VERY organised sort of person. I don’t like leaving things to chance 😉

somafunk

Sounds like you had a good long run scotroutes, you passed through my town of kirkcudbright and all of my local riding haunts.

scotroutes

Aye – you live in a lovely and quite under-sung part of the world. Most of the 7 Stakes, loads of natural trails and fabulous roads for cycling too. Add in the hillwalking, beaches and sailing and it’s quite surprising you’re not completely over-run by tourists.

somafunk

Shhhh , we’ve got quite enough tourists as it is at the moment – don’t want this place turning into a wilder version of the Lake District wi hoards of folk tramping about my hills, which will never happen to be fair as there is no such thing as paths or recognised routes such as there is south of the border.

Nope….nothing to see here….move along now……….

gordimhor

It’s true I spent most of my childhood summer holidays in Glentrool or Glenluce. Maybe you should ask the mods to close this thread somafunk 😉

jp-t853

It is a lovely area. I have stayed in the lighthouse keepers cottage in very wild weather one February. We tend to have long weekends at the New England Bay caravan club site a couple of times a year. It is a lovely spot on a beach.

It is a bit like Kintyre in that it is overlooked I guess from people who think they might as well spend the time travelling further north.

Drummore is close by, it has a useful shop a cafe and a pub or two but generally pretty quiet. There are some nice areas heading back towards Wigtown etc or north towards Culzean.

Cycling wise it is a great road touring type of area.

Andy

Thanks for all the updates!

I’m a VERY organised sort of person. I don’t like leaving things to chance

One of my “development needs” at work is to try and work in a less structured way sometimes, irony to my friends given what I’m like outside work 😕

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Drummore, near Stranraer, Dumfries & Galloway – anyone know it?’ is closed to new replies.