• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Rona.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Drumlanrig closures
  • sillyoldman

Got a memorial ride planned for a good friend, Andy Cathcart, who we lost in 2009.

He loved Drumlanrig, so it seems a fitting venue, but I gather that some trails are closed due to the recent felling work.
    Tried to get in touch with Rik, but the shop is only open at w/ends at present, so not had a chance to speak to him.

Any locals or recent visitors in a position to give an idea of trail accessibility?

Cheers,
    Dave.

bigalid

Was up there over the weekend, but not on the bikes unfortunately.

There was signs up saying one of the easier green trails was closed completely (Trail No3 I think), and the red and black trails have diversions making them slightly shorter than usual.

As I said I wasn’t on the bike, so cant vouch for what the diversions are like, but the people coming back to the car park didn’t look massively disappointed.

Northwind

Rik posted this a couple of weeks back on the 7 stanes users:

“Going to be reopening Mini Me and the Mains Return very soon, with a few tweaks for flow and regrading a lot more trail to blue and red to give more singletrack.

I’m hoping to be out on a digger rebuilding some of stuff to the river over the next few weeks but that isnae likely to be open any time soon ”

Says there’s still enough trail open to get a good ride but might mean doing a couple of laps. And no charge for the parking currently.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sillyoldman

Thanks guys – sounds like it would still be appropriate.

iainc

Dave, I rode it a few weeks back, back half of red/black closed but still more than enough for a great blast, did 2 laps.

Rona

Hi Dave – Hope all is well with you and yours. I’m really glad to hear about your planned ride for Andy. His family will be too. It means a lot to all of us to know he’s still remembered. Hope you have a good one. All the best, Rona.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lovely gesture OP, have a cracking day.

sillyoldman

Thanks Iain – sounds like there’s enough fun to be had.

Rona – hope all’s well with you too – not caught up with you in too long a time…. we’ll be at Drumlanrig this Sunday June 13th at 10am if you’d like to join us. Almost seems a shame that the forecast is so good – Andy loved that place when wet – plenty of sniper roots to keep you focussed!

vmgscot

On Saturday the entire first Black was closed.
    Also, a big chunk of the first red half is closed as is all the red from the back road down to the river.

New sections are open and the old final black climb section (eventually dropping into carpark) is rebuilt as red and extended a bit.

2 laps required.

vmgscot

UPDATE – Estate updated that they hope to have first Black loop open Thursday

sillyoldman

Thanks very much for the info @vmgscot

Rona

Dave – thanks so much for the invite. I’d love to join you but, sadly, will have to decline … I’m not back on my bike yet (although the day is coming closer – fingers crossed later this summer), have zero fitness, and have no working bike (pulled them out of the garage the other weekend to inspect the damage due to neglect … yikes … much seizure). I might have come down on Sunday to see you off and go for a walk … were it not for the fact that my car is currently enjoying an extended stay at the garage due to some sort of hissy fit with the clutch! No matter … I’m definitely in if you do it again another year. Enjoy the ride. 😃

Your post reminded me of a day when you, Andy and I rode at Drumlanrig – great ride, finished late afternoon on a Sunday IIRC. I left you and Andy packing up while I went off to the ladies to get changed. While I was in there I heard the outer door bang closed, and I quickly got dressed and went to the door only to find it locked! No windows to climb out. No mobile phone (well, I didn’t really think I’d need it in there, I suppose). Crap! I stood at the door and shouted over and over and, eventually, about 20 minutes or so later, an estate worker opened the door and said: I didn’t think anyone was in here. (I’m not sure what I said – I hope I was polite!) I came back to the car, somewhat flustered by my close escape from spending the night in a toilet … and Andy had no idea I was even missing … probably too busy enthusiastically reliving the entire ride. Happy days!

Sniper roots. 😂 Too true!

sillyoldman

Hi Rona, no worries – next year for sure.

I remember the loo-imprisonment day too! Not sure if that was the same day we all travelled together in Andy’s car, but regardless whenever I hear a Radio 4 song, it reminds me of us all heading out to ride together.

Hope to see you soon.
    x

Rona

👍🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Drumlanrig closures’ is closed to new replies.