Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Drumlanrig – Amazing Singletrack!
  • Andy_K

Went to Drunlanrig castle yesterday, I must say the singletrack there is bloomin’ brilliant! Quite rooty, but it was dry so not probs there, and flows really naturally, not looking manmade at all.
    With the sun out, it was positively idillic in places, swooping through the trees. You hardly ever notice if you are heading uphill or down overall, just concentrating on the brilliant trail!

Overall, a hidden gem! go there!

(sorry i didn’t take any pics 🙁 )

Edit: Talked to Rik Allsop too, great bloke and evidently a great trail builder.)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

someone was telling me yesterday that it wsa very good in an ‘old skool’ xc kinda way. it’s on the list for a summer visit

Andy_K

Yep, its very natural and not your usual 7 stanes berms and jumps style.

forge197
    Free Member

Mean’t to get there last week, luckily I am moving to the area so will add that to my trail to do list 🙂

Del

i really enjoyed riding there last year, though i thought the grading was a bit misleading. some of the red was harder than any of the black stuff i rode. don’t ask which bits though, cos the first day i had a pint of ale rattling around inside, and the second a can of cheap 5hit larger 🙂
    as you say, very natural and well worth a look if you’re up there.

craig1975
    Free Member

I had a good trek there last week, I did the red trail but thought it was a bit short, I found the rooty section a bit tricky but I enjoyed the challenge. I can imagine it will be a bit treturus in the wet if you haven’t had much experience with wet roots. I’m going to give the black trail a shot next time I head down to see the folks.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Raced there last year, some brilliant riding! IIRC the chap with the bike shop there, designed most of the trails himself.

Castle isn’t too shabby either.. 😀

Trekster

forge197
    where you moving to? I`m local, Dumfries anyway

mrmichaelwright
    get yourself OS78 and have a proper ride.

mema
    Free Member

I haven’t been at drumlanrig for ages but it is great. The last time I was there I had a ride around the car park on Rik’s Ti bike and within a week I had bought a shiny new Ti frame!

a11y

I’m there this Friday 🙂

Root-tastic fun, even in the wet if a bit trickier in places.

forge197
    Free Member

trekster – can you drop me a mail mtb DOT local1 AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk

hora
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

Is there civilised camping near Drumlanrig (was thinking for camping newbies)…two birds…one stone and all that 😀

forge197
    Free Member

trekster – Castle Douglas so well placed for a number of Stanes trails, also looking forward to hunting out some more natural trails too.

Where should I be looking on OS78 I have a copy here 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Forge – when do you move? I should be in Dumfries for most of June.

Castle Douglas is a great place to move to. Good luck with that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Was there last week, very impressed with the trails.

Agree that some red was harder than the second black section, but generally very flowing with nice technical features built in.

Took me a few goes (and a bent brake lever) to get the descent over the tree roots right.

Had fun on the skills loop too – especially the narrow little see-saw.

forge197
    Free Member

Next Week 🙂 Just in time for the midges!!

If you are riding any of the Stanes or Drumlanrig during that time drop me a mail mtb DOT local1 AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk be weekends and the odd night/evening ride I should think.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Forge

Hi – will do. I’ll bookmark this thread so I have your email. Nearer the time I will be doing a thread just to see who is around the Stanes in mid/late June so you wont miss out.

I will not be working those weeks and plan to do quite a bit of riding while I am up there.

Si

2tyred

Planning on a ride there this saturday afternoon, if I’ve anything left in my legs after the teardrop challenge road ride.

Never been before, so looking forward to it!

forge197
    Free Member

Thanks Si

simonralli2
    Free Member

No probs – Trekster has promised a ride or two as although I am a kind of sort of local, I’ve not explored the non Stanes areas.

Andy – sorry for the hijack.

Trekster

Here you go forge, local club
    http://www.stewartry-wheelers.org/

Also in CD is the Breakpad B&B run by Clair & San from the Kirry shop.

OS78 the main biking area is Durisdeer nr Thornhill or out of Drumlanrigg. Some tracks on the ground not on the map.

From Dalbeattie there is a coastal path running from Portling. This makes for a big day out when added to the Stanes route.

Quite a few cheeky trails in both Mabie and Dalbeattie.

Regular rides starting on Weds nights @ Ae and Mabie on Thurs nights. Not sure when the Stewartry guys have theirs.

YGM btw

ChrisL

The second black section has a (comparatively) steep and protracted climb on it, that’s the only reason I can think for why it’s black graded – there aren’t any steep climbs on the red that go on for as long.

climbingcragrat
    Free Member

If you are looking for a campsite near Drumlanrig we stayed at the following last Summer:

http://www.visitsouthernscotland.co.uk/glenmidge-smithy-i2736.html

Quite small but quiet and no kids allowed!

Enjoy

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Drumlanrig – Amazing Singletrack!’ is closed to new replies.