• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Dropping cartridge bearings into a carbon head tube. Smidge of grease?
  • Poopscoop

Putting the carbon Jeffsy back together but can’t remember if I put the cartridge bearings in dry or with a bit of (carbon friendly) grease?

The Jeffsy has no alloy insert. The bearings sit directly on the carbon.

Cheers guys, I’m being a little retentive I know but I like things “just so”. Lol😁

orangespyderman

Same bike here and I always put a bit of grease. I haven’t died yet, but certainly will at some point. I think the concern is more around the clearcoat and solvents in grease affecting that rather than the carbon itself. There’s no clearcoat where the bearings go so I’ve always just put some on, on the basis that the fibres themselves are anyway soaked in cured epoxy. Do let me know if yours collapses if you do the same, though 😀

andybrad

Pack it with grease

RicB

Smear of grease. I use Park Polylube as YT apparently said it’s safe with carbon. And I had a spare tube lying round.

The Jeffsy headset bearings are a bit rubbish ime, with really poor sealing- I was happy to find the standard lower Hope headset bearing fits perfectly (using the standard race, not the Hope race).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Dropping cartridge bearings into a carbon head tube. Smidge of grease?’ is closed to new replies.