Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Droppers !! What's the best of a bad bunch ?
  • sheepshifter
    Free Member

Reverb broke 6 months , Ks lasted 14 months , friends new B1 reverb lasted 6 rides before dropping unaided . Not great in accepting purchases become faulty sooner or later , is there one worth buying or do I carry on with my Thomson layback .

Tracey

Specialized Command post, got them in all our bikes. Only had one that needed repair after 5 years of constant use.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you warranty the posts? 2 years of rs? What went wrong with the ks? Fixable?

mtbfix

If only there were a mag with an extensive dropper post test in this issue! Oh…wait…

Reverb or BrandX were the picks iirc.

wiggles
    Free Member

Fox transfer post.

sharkattack

Reverb. Works beautifully. Always available for much less than RRP. Warranty process is fast and painless when you need it.

I’m on my third! By once, replace forever.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Happy with my Stealth reverb, few bleeding issues on fitting aside.

I’m probably going to get a Shimano when they arrive just because the release suits my hand injury a bit more.

nixie

Magura? Working fine for me so far.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Reverb has proven unreliable and its possible to be caught out with them limping past the two year mark, plus I really really don’t Luke the button.

KS lev has actually proven pretty reliable although after a few years, the sprag bearing has started to mark the stanchion despite religious cleaning and shaft services.

Thomson has proven functionally reliable but has displayed more slop than I would like and has been prone to creaking. Not sure if it was the retailer or the importer, but 8wk turn around is unacceptable to me.

I really want to like the Fox transfer as I hear the doss was pretty reliable. However, saw a chap with a box fresh one in holiday that ended up with more slop in a week than I had on a 3 month old Thomson. I do hope his was just a bad one.

Does seem to be a component that really perplexes manufacturers.

mcnultycop

Thomson dropper? Tiny bit of twist in mine from 6 months in but never worsened.

Lev was back to Bike Discount twice in the first year but has been OK since (which means after typing this on the net it will break this weekend.)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thomson probably has had the least play but given how they brag about the design, it’s more than I expect and enough for me to notice it increase with time.

mildred

Well that’s a shitter – I’ve just bought the Thomson elite covert; seems lovely at the moment, but having said that I’ve never had an issue with the reverbs I’ve had. Beejeezus, I’ve had a maverick & crank Bros so everything after these feels lovely..!

Northwind

My ancient KS i950 is still battling on. It’s had one fairly major repair but even that was barely as expensive as a Reverb service. The drawback of this anecdote is, there’s no way of knowing if it reflects current KSs.

Reverbs are still flaky- the new one has the exact same IFP issue as all previous Reverbs, despite claims of improvements. But otoh they have a kind of killer edge in the 170mm post, that was enough to make me buy one even though I was expecting it to go wrong (it has btw) and even though the lever sucks balls. But when it works it has no peers tbh.

Thomson to the surprise of nobody has recurring, unresolved issues- they did zero UK testing til after the design was finalised, which was helpful when people started having issues because they already knew exactly what was wrong- but not too good as an owner. Aaaand, the Fall Line seems to be seriously picky about adjustment, to the extent of frequently stopping working mid ride until you fanny about with the controls. So that can **** off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thomson to the surprise of nobody has recurring, unresolved issues- they did zero UK testing til after the design was finalised, which was helpful when people started having issues because they already knew exactly what was wrong- but not too good as an owner

Have Shimano? as an aside the new CB one was out with their Pro riders back in Feb and has had a lot of testing out there.

BigDummy
    Free Member

These threads are never a very positive experience! 😀

Somewhat random point: I was looking the other day at hand-held percussion massagers on Amazon. Across all models at price points between $30 – $195, there are about 16% of reviews which give 1 star and claim that the product failed almost immediately. 16%. Most of the other users who reviewed were happy enough. (I tend to assume that bad experiences translate much more readily into negative reviews). It struck me that this was fairly similar to us lot and dropper posts. Something like 85% (???) of any given model works adequately in use for long enough that the owner moves on to something else without getting angry with it. But if you’re one of the people who, through bad luck, above-average use or something else entirely, gets a dud then that really does suck, and the behaviour of the distributor in response to the problem is crucial – if they replace promptly the odds are reasonably good that you’ll not get a second lemon and the situation is saved. But the failure rate on all of these things seems to be pretty (too?) high.

Trekster

KS Lev Integra(internal cable routed)on my RM Altitude, neglected the servicining since Dec ’14!!!! Still working as per new….

Trekster

BigDummy – Member
    These threads are never a very positive experience!

Somewhat random point: I was looking the other day at hand-held percussion massagers on Amazon.

Do they work?

Workmate has just bought/been recommended one for his painful joints.

MrsT has a painful, degenerative arthritis problem, curious to know if these “tools” are worth investing in????

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if they replace promptly the odds are reasonably good that you’ll not get a second lemon and the situation is saved. But the failure rate on all of these things seems to be pretty (too?) high.

I’d say it’s close to the limits of what is possible for mass manufacture, the comparison of forks is always there but the bracing from corwns etc. is there to stop the forces loading in funny directions, think of the direction of load on the post. If the tolerances are good they seem to last, my experience was..
    KSi950 lasted 400m out of the box, fixed and used for about 3 years before I sold it without being touched.
    KS Lev ran for 2 years, needed a clean out, ran for another year before needing a service.
    RS Reverb, 6 months use no issues.

There is a

effect going on here, the noisy ones are generally the instant/early failures, the mid life ones post and say something and the wear out failures (2 years +) just accept it and move on a lot more quietly in general.
    The people who have stuff that just works rarely comment on it as they tend not to open the what this threads.
    (in general I’m out of touch on hub bearings, frame bearings and BB’s as I’ve had great life from all my kit)

BigDummy
    Free Member

Do they work?

I don’t know, didn’t get round to ordering yet. 🙂

RickDraper
    Free Member

My Fox Transfer post has been faultless. Ok it could do with a reduction in rotational play but I can put up with that as long as it’s reliable. The lever has a nice feel and the return speed is easily controlled by the lever. I’ll see how it goes through winter and report back.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m on my third! By once, replace forever

I never understand this by reverb lovers, I’d rather have a post that worked properly all the time everytime

GD here, ugly as sin, 5 years old serviced twice (10 minute job) no faults at all used at least 3 times a week in all weathers

Onzadog
    Free Member

People often comment about the bracing effect of a fork and how it’s not a fair comparison. What we really need is a massive diameter seat tube and drop a lefty leg into it. They seem to work quite well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

This thread completely puts me off getting one if the cost to life expectancy is only 6 months to 2 years!

I used to run USE suspension seat posts which fell apart as soon as they got near mud, even though USE replaced parts the whole experience got a bit tiring so gave up.

Sounds like these are the same….

chilled76
    Free Member

Just to throw some balance to this as inevitably people will respond if they’ve had negative experiences with xyz…

I’ve had a reverb on the last bike for 4 years, never serviced it and it still works fine (it’s in my spares box).

Got a ks lev integra on my bike currently and work faultlessly.

nickjb
    Free Member

This was answered in the first reply. The specialized command post works well and seems reliable. If they did a 27.2 with decent travel I’d have one on every bike.

mattbee

Thomson is lovely when it’s working. Mine has been back under warranty 4 times for the same issue; cartridge starting to sag and not fully extend. For md the turnaround has always been sub 14 days but when a new cartridge fails within 2 weeks & the only fix is to send it back in it gets a little wearing. If you could service/fix it at home it would be amazing but since you can’t, mine which is failing for the 5th time in 2 years now will just go in the bin & be replaced with sometelse.

weeksy

I had a KS950i which i sold to a mate, i bought it USED too… 3 years later it’s barely been touched. Another one the same has required no work at all apart from a cable replacement after 1 winter, that’s also over 3 years old now too and still cracking on well.

I had a reverb for 1 ride before i sold the bike, but it worked fine 🙂

I’ve now got an X-fusion Hilo… which is.. Mmmmm errrrm.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My very first silver collar Reverb was warrantied, but that’s been it.

Fishers made me a 30.9 150mm drop post that was 2 years old before I sold it, needed a service but that’s all.

My Lev Integra is about 12-15 months old now & still fine.

New bike soon so looking at the 170mm Reverb again, but will probably try the Bike Yoke lever instead to make it a bit more user friendly. I am quite tempted to try the new Bike Yoke post, as it’s 160mm and has a couple of good design ideas.

I can put up with the reliability for the benefit – it’s still a lot of stuff going on in a very small area.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 Reverb that’s still chugging along merrily. Had one full service in that time.

Then of course, there’s my GD Turbo, which is a little older than the Reverb and has only been opened and greased because I got curious to see what it looked like inside a couple of years ago (it was clean).

I’ve had others too, cheaper ones. They’re all gone now due to failures and lack of parts to get them working again.

PrinceJohn

I had a ks one and it was great, the only issue i had was it was cable activated and some grit got into the mechanism that held it open, so it kept dropping. Cleaned that out and made a neat inner tube boot for it and it worked perfectly. All I did was on occasion lube it with the posh fox blue lube.

vinnyeh

Crank Brothers have a lot of experience with dropper posts. Their new Highline delivers ” industry leading quality and reliability”.

Might be worth a try.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

These often recurring threads about dropper issues from various manufacturers fill me with caution, a bit like oval shaped seat tubes from a certain company! 😉

Owners often rave about droppers, but why on earth would I want to speed ~£200+ on a bike item that sounds like it is bound to fail within two years? 😆

Mackem

My KS dropzone lasted 4 years with zero maintenance (although I cleaned it religiously). Going to buy another, about 150 euros from Germany.

boriselbrus
    Free Member
    kiwijohn

I’ve had a second hand Fox DOSS for over a year. There’s a little bit of play, but you don’t notice it.
    Can you service them yourself?

andybrad

ks lev here.

tbh bits are cheap. you can service it yourself (inc a new cartridge for 60 od quid) so its hardly worth rebuilding the old one.

so for the cost from new a lev dx or a reverb.

Northwind

rOcKeTdOg – Member

GD here, ugly as sin, 5 years old serviced twice (10 minute job) no faults at all used at least 3 times a week in all weathers

If Gravity Dropper made a post with competitive drop I’d be all over it. Mine was great but 100mm just isn’t as good.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at – Member

Owners often rave about droppers, but why on earth would I want to speed ~£200+ on a bike item that sounds like it is bound to fail within two years?

Because when they work, they’re totally game changing. My rigid has a dropper, because riding without suspension is fun and challenging and different, but riding without a dropper is just shit.

spawnofyorkshire

The drawback of this anecdote is, there’s no way of knowing if it reflects current KSs.

I’m on the updated KS Supernatural 150mm dropper and it’s great, better than my reverb that died
    It’s my second after a lever operated one that’s still going strong on a mates bike
    Another buddy runs the KS Lev and it’s been faultless for him too

Only thing i’m wanting is a southpaw style lever, but that’s a desireable not a necessity

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

It always gets mentioned but everyone ignores it – two people so far have said: COMMAND POST! Very early ones occasionally had issues with the collet breaking but that has (AFAIK) not been a problem on the Backlite and later. Can be stripped and serviced in 15mins, cable actuation so no bleed issues. Fit and forget really.

chestrockwell

Reverb. Works beautifully. Always available for much less than RRP.

Is that still the case? The current model in stealth seems to be about the most expensive out there.

I’ve had a Thomson for years with no issues at all. Much nicer bit of kit than my Reverb or the Specialized one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Droppers !! What's the best of a bad bunch ?’ is closed to new replies.