Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dropper Stuck in Steel Frame – Any tips?
  • woodster

Bought an Orange P7 and didn’t check that the seatpost moved freely and now I have a bike with a Fox Doss seemingly welded into it. Now I thought that since the bike isn’t that old it can’t be that stuck. I was wrong. I have tried a few tricks and succeeded only in snapping one of the bolts, so any experiences in removal would be welcomed.

Cheers.

martinhutch

What have you tried?

Are you looking to keep the seatpost, or is its destruction fair game?

woodster

Coke, penetrating oil, boiling water, engine oil and using a large bar clamped up with all my weight on it (which killed the bolt unsurprisingly).

Ideally I’d like to keep the post and the paint on the frame, but that’s looking optimistic I would say.

simondbarnes
    woodster

Thanks, but it’s pricey given I’d have to courier it there and back. A Fox Doss is not worth £140 to save.

robbie
    Free Member

Loosen clamp some penetrating oil and just ride it. Thats what i done with mine and it was well stuck. Took a good few rides but with your weight and bumps it should strat to loosen off.

chiefgrooveguru

I got a stuck Gravity Dropper out of a Cotic Soul using Plusgas, boiling water on the frame and freeze spray down the post, with big G-clamps on the post and the frame in a Workmate. Hit the top with a mallet to push it in more but free it up, and then twisted it out with the clamps.

lagrinta

Coke and leave it in there for a week.

coomber
    Free Member

Plumbers freeze spray if you can through seattube cage holes, boiling water on outside of frame.

oldnpastit

Cut off the top of the seat post.

Add caustic soda.

Then realise even that doesn’t work and just take it to the household recycling and put it down to experience.

Worked for me anyway.

woodster

Thanks for the tips. In the end I tried coke for longer, some freeze spray combined with boiling water and a lot of force, but penetrating oil was the thing that finally got it to budge just in case anyone ends up finding this thread at some point. My best tips are to alternate frame upside down and right way up every 12 hours or so and attack from both ends trying to get as much as you can in through the seatpost slot and around the top of the post.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dropper Stuck in Steel Frame – Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.