Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Dropper seatposts. Worth it?
  • D0NK

This holds for winch up plummet down riding, our rides are more flowy XC

yeah I forgot some of us are better endowed in the hills department than others, should have added a YMMV 😉

grum
    Free Member

Can we make this thread a sticky or something? Seems to come up roughly twice a week.

mattjg
    Free Member

if we’re getting in to the North/South divide of dropper post etiquette, it must be Friday

nickc

I read threads like these and wonder what I’m missing out on, but I’m so used now to having the saddle where it is when I put it down I’m all of a dither cause I don’t know where it is. ( that makes sense to me 😆 )

I’ll have to try it again I think

Weekend beckons, I’m outta here, have a good one!!

Jeffus
    Free Member

yes awesome REVERB the way to 😀

Clobber
    Free Member

I see CRC have the new Thomson Dropper on pre-order…

chiefgrooveguru

I wonder how many dropper evangelists never dropped their saddle previously because they didn’t want to stop and mess about with QRs.

I used to ride with my saddle dropped most of the time – it made my legs hurt on quicker group rides but was much more fun than leaving it up and less annoying than constantly stopping to adjust the height. I now enjoy having a Gravity Dropper ‘upper’ seatpost…

Euro
    Free Member

I couldn’t bring myself to spend a chunk of money on a fancy dan seatpost, but got round the issue by buying a new bike with one fitted.

They really are rather good. I always used to stop and lower or lift my seat for certain bits of trail, which I didn’t mind doing, but on unknown trails it was best to compromise and have it somewhere in the middle and leave it. Less stopping, sure, but ups were harder and downs were more awkward. Not any more. 😀

My other bike requires an allen key to alter the seat height so i’ve the best/worst of both worlds.

iainc

I am in the habit of not adjusting my saddle, even on really techy stuff, primarily as my hard tail has an Allen key bolt. Even though my 5 has a qr I’ve never moved it on a ride in the 4 yrs I’ve had it.

I am currently though in the process of getting rid of both those bikes and replacing with a new Soul, with a reverb. I honestly don’t know what to expect (or even how to set it up !) 🙂

vdubber67
    Free Member

Aren’t ‘trail dogs’ the new dropper seatpost now?

Euro
    Free Member

iainc – Member

I am currently though in the process of getting rid of both those bikes and replacing with a new Soul, with a reverb. I honestly don’t know what to expect (or even how to set it up !)

A bit sad this, but before my evo arrived, i marked out 125mm on my 456 seatpost and every time I had to raise or lower i used the marks as guides so i’d be accustomed to the drop.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Got a reverb on my new bike and am new to the whole dropper thing. Not used it much cause a
    I’m used to getting myself over the saddle when needed so struggling to break the habit and forget to press the new button on my handle bars. I’m very conscious of all the posts on here about reverb problems and mine is a bit sticky, but I’m hoping once I start using it it’ll wear in. Not wowed over yet, but its early days. The placement of the button is a PITA as it means I can’t invert my bike when fixing technicals out on the trail, and I can’t mount it under the bar due to my shifter.

JoeG
    Free Member

I never dropped my saddle at all until I bought a Lev a year ago for my full suspension bike. I use the dropper more than the front derailleur now! So much so that I bought a second Lev when I got my fatbike in December. 😳

stu1972
    Free Member

Spent half a day riding at Kielder & Newcastleton today. 1 hour into the ride and I literally rip the arse right off my Humvee’s when moving back over the saddle.

It’s not a good look on the trail, a fellow biker approaching from behind being greeted by a pair of budgie smugglers and a flapping rag that was once a pair of Endura shorts.

This incident alone is justification for a dropper post.

Cougar

Honestly, I can’t recomend the TMARS one enough, I’m not sure why anything else is worth more money.

Are you talking about this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-New-TMARS-Adjustable-Seatpost-Seat-Post-27-2X425mm-/130790415484

I asked about budget posts the other day; looks ideal, ta.

justatheory
    Free Member

I bought a Reverb to see what all the fuss was about and ended up selling it, there wasn’t anything wrong with it, I just thought it was an unnecessary luxury.

I was wrong, I really miss it now. Definitely on the shopping list when I get some spare cash. Think I’ll try a Lev though because the excess hose on the Reverb annoyed me a bit.

justatheory
    Free Member

Spent half a day riding at Kielder & Newcastleton today. 1 hour into the ride and I literally rip the arse right off my Humvee’s when moving back over the saddle.

It’s not a good look on the trail, a fellow biker approaching from behind being greeted by a pair of budgie smugglers and a flapping rag that was once a pair of Endura shorts.

This incident alone is justification for a dropper post

😀

FOG

I was a real dropper denier but saw some cheap before xmas so got the wife to buy me one as I can never think what I want.
    I can’t say it has transformed my riding entirely but it has certainly improved my limited downhill skills. Just on a trudle round local trails I hardly touch the remote but anything faintly tech and down it goes. In fact i really surprised a mate recently who was faster than me by leaving him fordead on a tricky descent. All I want know is the Upper post that gets me up hills a lot faster

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had my ks 2 1/2 years now. Awsome bit of kit and thats just the lever version. Was helping a mate out run a shop tent at a race this weekend. The ex demo reverb with 3 rides in it as priced the same as the fox doss. The reverb went in 10 mins we brought the doss back. Infinite adjust posts are great the others not so much.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Dropper seatposts. Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.