Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Dropper post without remote – choices?
  • superfli
    Free Member

Not the usual dropper post suggestion thread, I’m after one that has a lever on the post, not handlebar (but the option to change would be a bomus). Reason is, its for my HT that I often change the seat/seatpost for the one on my lads tagalong (I leave a seatpost + seat in this for quick change over). Obviously, cutting cable ties and removing remote is a bit of a pain.
    I’ve seen KS supernatural and GD descender, but are there any others? 27.2 diameter.

TIA

svalgis
    Free Member

That’s about it I think. Just get a GD and be done with it. :mrgreen:

IvanDobski
    Free Member

X-Fusion hilo

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    porlus
    Free Member

Xfusion hilo comes with post lever and kit to convert to remote if needed. Think its also available as 27.2 dia as well.

edit. Doh, beaten to it

porlus
    Free Member

And £130 from wiggle at the moment. Tempted myself.

smartmonkey
    Free Member

X-Fusion Hi-Lo is also on sale at Wiggle for £130 at the moment.
    HTH
    SM

acidchunks

Love my Hilo! Best option for 27.2 imo.

Bit of advice for you though. You’ll need to pump a bit more air in it out of the box.
    When you do make sure you hold the lever down so you’re pressurising the whole system. Manual isn’t very clear on that point. 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

On its way! Yeah, read about the low pressure onarrival. Thanks

Northwind

Not being funny but I’d go proper remote dropper, and reusable cableties- it’s basically one more bolt to undo.

Muke
    Free Member

Superfli

How is the Hilo ?

superfli
    Free Member

VGood so far. I’ve used it about 3 times now and its been perfect. Thats with the lever under the seat. I’ve had a bit of seat slippage on the clamp, but then I didnt have any fibre grip at hand, which the instructions say to use.

Muke
    Free Member

Seems like every post has its issues but this one seems to have least problems that I have read about. Can you confirm it comes with lever under seat and remote bar lever/cable as well.
    Thanks

acidchunks

Comes with both 🙂

to be honest the remote isn’t great, I’m looking for a replacement..

Muke
    Free Member

Thanks, very tempted and only £125 with the £5 discount newsletter voucher. 😕

mattjg
    Free Member

Does it ‘go back up’ under its own steam just by unweighting the saddle and flicking the lever? Or does the rider have to get back off the bike?

(Am tempted to a simple dropper for my XC HT. Don’t particularly want a remote if avoidable).

mattjg
    Free Member

& how long is it at maximum usable extension pls?

Muke
    Free Member

Old video from Youtube

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ-L3wQu8AE[/video]

unklehomered
    Free Member

And £130 from wiggle at the moment. Tempted myself.

Got mine today! I’m a happy boy. Was tempted to use the lever, the remote is a pig to assemble! But no its done seems pretty good.

mattjg
    Free Member

Ta for vid. It seems plenty long enough. Ok the seat needs to be lifted to go up, no biggie I think.

Can it be set to stay at any position between top and bottom? Or it just max up and max down?

mattjg
    Free Member

The q&a on Wiggle says its 400mm long with minimum insertion 100mm.

superfli
    Free Member

Seat doesnt need lifting to go up! Just pull the lever or push remote. Nice and smooth. I pumped it up a little after getting it as I read reports that they were slightly low pressure out of box.
    Its on your old Soul now Matt 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Ta, how you getting on? Is that frame still in one piece or have you worn it out?

mattjg
    Free Member

OK it’s done, the button is pressed, the lever is actuated, the remote is triggered, and Wiggle are on the case for me. Ta all for the info.

avdave2

I’m very tempted at that price, I like the idea of having both the remote and lever options. The only question is do I go for a 31.6 that’ll fit my C456 or a 27.2 that with a shim will fit just about anything. I’m currently running a shimmed 27.2 and that’s not given any problems with slipping so I’m leaning in that direction unless anyone gives me a good argument against it.

Muke
    Free Member

That’s it, decision made, I’m in. 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

Matt, the soul is a revelation! Cantbelieve how much better it is on my local trails than the old rock lobster. Much more compliant. It has however been redundant for the last coue of weeks due to our early summer and the fs coming out to play 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Great, pleased you’re enjoying it.

The chainsuck scars turned out not to be a problem eh? 😉

superfli
    Free Member

Covered with a couple of protectors 🙂

doubledunter
    Free Member

I have been using hilos on both bikes ,one for about 18month and the for nearly a year, i got rid of the remote and used the underseat lever, ive never had problem with either of them,theyve never been off either bike for air or a service…

Muke
    Free Member

Arrived this morning 😀

nicholas_yiu

I regretted selling mine and getting the LEV, my LEV broke in 2 months but my Hilo has been reliable for over a year.

Just ordered one from Wiggle as well though. Hopefully arrive on Monday.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yup mine ordered 8pm Thursday arrived this morning, on standard delivery. Good job Wiggle. (27.2mm).

Seems to work ok without adding air, on a simple “up and down the street” test. Seat installation and adjustment was nae bother.

This is for my XC bike and I know my local trails well so I don’t see the need for the remote, going to try with the lever first.

I’m guessing they are reduced because maybe they are being discontinued, with a 125mm model now available. 100mm is more than I’ll ever need for the local flowy ST.

james
    Free Member

“its for my HT that I often change the seat/seatpost for the one on my lads tagalong”
    I’m not getting mu head past this bit. Why?
    You like a choice of two saddle setups for the hardtail or you want a dropper post on the tag along?

superfli
    Free Member

2 reasons.
    I dont want to fit the tag along to my seatpost each time I want to use the tagalong.
    I dont want to daamge my usual seatpost with the tagalong

I have a spare cheap seatpost+seat permanently attached to tagalong

james
    Free Member

fair do’s. hadn’t considered how the tag along attaches

RustyMac

For all those that have just bought the HiLo. When installing the remote use a high quality Teflon coated cable and you will have a much smoother action.

mattjg
    Free Member

Hmmm anyone managed to fit the HiLo remote without the little block that screws to the front of the post to retain the cable? (Where the lever goes). I seem to have misplaced mine when I fitted the lever, doh. I’ll try a bit of BIY using the lever.

andy1001
    Free Member

Was the Rock Lobster Steel too (SL is ali)? Would not have thought it would have been that much more comfy, as the Lobster 853 is a very comfy frame. Was the same seatpost and fork used? All the best, Andy.

mattjg
    Free Member

27.2 XFusion HiLo update – it does the job fine. Having done a few rides using the under-saddle lever I installed the remote, rode with that last night, and won’t go back to the lever.

The supplied remote, cable and sheath all work fine for me.

I probably don’t use more than 30mm or 40mm of drop on my XC bike for local singletrack, so IMO 100mm is plenty of drop, I wouldn’t pay more for more drop.

No creaks, it all works OK. The seat clamp is easy to use. The saddle moves a couple of mm side to side but I don’t notice it riding, it’s a non-issue.

I am a dropper convert, and even on my weight-weenie SS rigid bike, I think the dropper earns its keep easily. It transforms the ride, and also is a bit handy when climbing out of the saddle to put the saddle well out of the way.

Wiggle seem to have cottoned on and put the price up to £175.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post without remote – choices?’ is closed to new replies.