Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • dropper post which one??????
  • richi
    Free Member

read plenty of reviews but still cant decide which one to go for, was looking at the x fusion hilo but now im not sure again. I dont want to have to buy another one in a few months time, so am i best just going for a reverb or is there another one i should look at. Its for a 31.6 thanks

honourablegeorge

I don’t think you can look past the Reverb, really – it works really well, it’s reliable as these things go, warranty support is good, and they’re avaialbe relatively cheaply.

Fox, Thomson and others may be good, but they’re still unproven, and twice the price. Crank Brothers are junk. Have found KS posts good (have owned two) myself, but prefer the Reverb. XFusion I don’t know much about, but their products in general seem to be getting lots of praise

seavers
    Free Member

I have the gravity dropper turbo, been using it for about 10 months now. It just works and I am really happy with it. I like the fact that parts are readily available and cheap so if or when something goes wrong I can fix it myself. I am limited by a 27.2 post though and the GD was by far the best choice.

Couple of mates have the Reverb, used for the same amount of time and they are also really happy with them. They haven’t has any technical issues yet, just the odd bleed.. They like the fact they can adjust the height of the saddle to any point. Where as the GD only has 2 positions.

Like above, not much experience with other brands. I looked at the x fusion and it seemed pretty good.Some hit and miss reviews…..but when I found a bargain price on the GD I jumped at it.

richi
    Free Member

i do read all the reviews for other droppers and some seem good but when i typically ask which ones people go for the reverb comes up nearly all the time. just trying to find out if there is any others to consider before a drop money on the reverb

Clink

but when I found a bargain price on the GD I jumped at it.

2nd hand or new?

Northwind

KS are very good but the lack of a UK distributor right now is a little offputting. Reverb is good now that they’ve sorted out most of the bugs but the spares are still ridiculously expensive- you really don’t want to break that ever so slightly too delicate lever. Hydraulic actuation still pointless though.

I like my Gravity Dropper but overall prefer the KSs.

seavers
    Free Member

I’m not sure you can go far wrong with the Reverb tbh. X fusion is a little cheaper. GD’s are much more simple and something you can easily service your self. Where as a Reverb you may have to get serviced and that might mean sending it off?

If it were my money and I was not restricted by seat post size I would go Reverb. But I would also check I had a LBS that could service it for convenience. Also from what friends have said spares for the Reverb are quite expensive.

seavers
    Free Member

2nd hand or new?

New from CRC it was £169 down from £220.

Edit: I was looking at the X fusion but that was 150 at the time. The GD seemed a better deal. Not pretty but something that just works.

richi
    Free Member

hmmmmm i was close to buying the reverb but after reading up on the gd with the 1″ drop it has taken my eye. Think i will shop around and see what prices i get on both of them

johnhe

I own a reverb and a classis GD, and the reverb is the one I’d recommend. The GD is great, and highly recommended, but the reverb is just brill.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I own a KS i900R (31.6mm) & X-Fusion Hi-Lo (27.2)

I’ve had the KS for about 9 months, the X-Fusion is just one ride old

The X-Fusion doesn’t feel as well made as the KS & has more side to side waggle (not loads, but some)

It’s probably too early to judge the performance of the X-Fusion

The only issue I’ve had with the KS was when it was really cold the actuation lever seemed to get stuck open when pressed (post returned up but would not stay up) – this disappeared once it warmed up a bit

Other than that it’s been great – minimal side to side waggle, good consistent return speed and it feels like a quality product

I was put off the Reverb for two reasons – the delicate push button to actuate it (seen a mate break his when he had an off – we were on a holiday so it couldn’t be fixed) and the attachment below the saddle (seen a different mate break this off by accident – again we were on holiday & it couldn’t be fixed) – I prefer a simple cable actuated system

On one have some good deals on Reverbs at the moment, while Superstar were clearing out all KS posts cheaply

I’ve previously owned a Joplin, which was a pretty poor product – I’d avoid anything Crank Brothers

seavers
    Free Member

I own a reverb and a classis GD, and the reverb is the one I’d recommend. The GD is great, and highly recommended, but the reverb is just brill.

Can I just ask why you like the Reverb over the GD? I’m going to get a new bike later this year and it will be a 31.6. I like the idea of being able to set the seatpost at any point. Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

somafunk

I work in a bike shop and fit Rockshox Reverbs, Fox Doss and i personally own a KS Lev 27.2mm as that is the only dropper i’d consider that currently fits in my Cove Hummer frame.

Reverb is smooth in action, relatively maintenance free with good aftermarket/warranty support and a choice of internal or outer hydraulic routing, choice of bar fittings with a minuscule lever that just works and doesn’t get in the way.

The only downside is the amount of bikes we see in the shop who’s riders manage to pull the hydraulic hose from the lever or the seatpost during crashes or spills, and the occasional bleeding issues – some of them seem to develop movement in the shaft but it doesn’t seem to impair their function (yet).

Fox Doss is rather clunky in action and offers a distinct two levels of drop, relatively maintenance free and with the cable fitting it is easy to replace it yourself if you damage it, definitely a more mechanical dropper in operation and i feel there is more fore and aft movement with the doss, the bar mounted lever is rather large/ugly and obstructive on the bars if you mount it above. The return rate on the doss has a distinctive thud and you are in no mistake that it is at full height.

The KS Lev is very smooth in operation and is possibly the most secure feeling as i can’t get any movement fore-aft or side to side, cable operated from the seatpost outer shaft with a tiny bar mounted lever that doubles as an odi grip lock ring (good excuse to fit odi troy lee grips), no housing/cable slack when dropped as the design of the entry point for the cable differs from the reverb/doss. The entry point for the cable is very well sealed so it’s a fit n’ forget item.

KS are about to announce a major distributor in the UK who will deal with all sales and warranty so this is why i choose a KS lev over waiting for the mythical 27.2mm thomson, If the Fox Doss or the Rockshox Reverb were available in 27.2mm i’d still choose the KS lev everyday.

coblck
    Free Member

Posts that i have owned an my opinions on each.

KS i950r – 8 out of 10 – Overall good post hated the remote and took alot of TLC.

RS reverb 2010 version- 7 out of 10 – Average founh hose hard to route and expensive for parts- great remote.
    Crank bros-kronolog 4 out of 10- Made of chocolate nice to look at great remote but post dropped 5mm when sat on it ” was told by CB this is normal”

Spesh command post 9 out of 10 – Best so far really well made nice remote and love the 3 positions.

My mate has fox post and hates it make a noise when clicking noise when sitting on it plus the remote is awful and super pricey.

tom.nash

I have had a KS950i and a Reverb – Reverb all the way!

matt1986
    Free Member

Iv just got a command dropper post and upto now it’s been amazing. Iv seen a few reverbs in recently with seal issues but having used one at a demo day they are good as well and the stop anywhere is good because it can be hard to find the 35mm drop on the command.

richi
    Free Member

thanks for all the reviews really appreciate it

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got two lev droppers. Pleased to hear there’s a new distributor coming but got mine from Germany as ssc are not renowned for customer service anyway. I would happily buy again and really like the zero cable growth. Easy to do a basic strip/clean as well.

Having said that, three mates have reverbs. One had a warranty issue that was sorted quickly and easily, the rest have been faultless.

I still think the Thomson one will be very very nice though.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Reverb.

Bye.

😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

One other thing I have learned though, after being positive I wanted an infinitely adjustable dropper, I now realise I mostly just use two positions.

Down a bit for peddaly stuff and out of the way for big stuff.

richi
    Free Member

so my choices seem to be the reverb, ks lev or the gd.
    thinking i will have a good look around at prices.

the positions also will factor in as i think i want one with just a slammed position and a tall one for riding. Dont really use any other positions really

ska-49
    Free Member

Picked up a xfusion hilo recently for £96 new from Germany.
    Great post! Actually my second. First one was perfect but wrong size for the new frame so I bought another. Not had any issues. Work nicely and the infinite adjustability is great. I also like having a mechanical system, not hydrolic, as it’s easier to adjust and change.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Had my ks i950 for going on 4 years and it’s been mechanically sound, the lever just needs a clean now and then.

robhughes
    Free Member

I to have a KSi950 and a 2013 reverb.Nothing between them really.
    They both work superbly.Treat the KS to some tlc every now and again and it runs flawlessly.

richi
    Free Member

ska-49 the hilo was the one i was going to get but i dont think they do them in the 31.6 on actionsport anymore

richi
    Free Member

thanks for help

ska-49
    Free Member

Thats lame.. mine was 31.6
    Maybe check back soon if you aren’t in a rush? Shim?

Tracey

Between us in our family we are running 6 Specialized Command posts. They all have had alot of use and abuse with no problems.

richi
    Free Member

i will keep my eye out for one, should have pulled the trigger ages ago but kept putting it off like a fool, im sure some good offer will come along soon enough

MrTall
    Free Member

On One have very good deals on Reverbs at the moment and i’m tempted as i now run 3 bikes with a 31.6mm post so i could swap it between bikes.

My main concern (other than varying reports on reliability) is that all my bikes run layback posts whereas it looks like the reverb has no layback capability at all (outside the usual saddle adjustment)?

richi
    Free Member

just checked out on one 180 seems to be the best price around atm

nuke

My main concern (other than varying reports on reliability) is that all my bikes run layback posts whereas it looks like the reverb has no layback capability at all (outside the usual saddle adjustment)?

Yeah, this is my concern. Not many around with layback (Currently running a Joplin which has layback but always had reliability issues). Saw the KS Dropzone has some layback and looks pretty good but I would want warranty support (After my experiences with the Joplin) so with no KS distributor at the moment I’m holding off

bigjim

I got a Joplin 4 super cheap but after 6 rides it is really sticky and doesn’t want to work. Going to service it and give it to someone as a present and have a reverb from on one to replace it, still reeling in shock from spending £180 on a seatpost…

I will miss the layback from the joplin though.

richi
    Free Member

yeah does seem real steep for a seatpost tbf. just cant see there being any big reductions on any of the big names for a while though

thepurist

Anyone seen any deals around on the Spesh command post? Doesn’t seem popular at the normal German haunts.

richi
    Free Member

not really found any real good deals on any makes really pal

jambon
    Free Member

KS LEV all the way – good cable routing and 6″ of drop. Nothing else does that. VERY nicely made too.

v10
    Free Member

Had a number of reverbs – always been very impressed with the function/reliability. Ive got a new 31.6 going spare at the moment as ive just found out my new frame will take a stealth.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Another Specialized Command Post (Blacklite) user here.
    Been using it for over a year now with no problems at all. I wanted a three-position-post rather than a variable one like the Reverb because i’m a bit anal about saddle height and the Command Post did exactly what i wanted.
    The reason i wanted the Command Post in particular was the fact they do a 75mm travel version and as i’m only 5’2″ with short legs it was an ideal bit of kit for me.
    Turns out they don’t import this particular version into the UK but the nice chap at the importers just happened to have a small number under his desk for warranty replacements (they come as standard on some Spesh bikes).

In use it’s great, no noticable lateral play and the middle position is just right for those slightly-techy-and-fast-but-still-want-to-pedal moments. The cable system is great and has a nice little tension adjust inline from the button.
    Overall a nicely built and reliable bit of kit so far.

thepurist

Aha – thanks muddydwarf, I was looking for that version of the Spesh post for MrsP. Did you go to the importer direct or via an LBS? Might need to work on my negotiation skills…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘dropper post which one??????’ is closed to new replies.