Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dropper post virgin
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I’m looking to make the jump into the dropper post world but I don’t really know where to start.

I need a 31.6mm post with external routing.

I’m not looking to spend a fortune on the post so I think the rockshox and fox are out of the question.

oldnpastit

I’ve got the new CRC Brand-X dropper post. It was about £110 on a special offer, and I think about £130 now. It’s been fine so far, although it’s perhaps too early to say what long-term reliability will be like.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-ascend-dropper-seatpost/rp-prod149024

There was a thread about them recently.

EDIT: it comes with internal routing only 🙁

Can you drill a hole in your frame?

mtbfix

You can usually pick Reverbs up for well under £200 on Merlin etc. Mine’s been faultless for 2 years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    charliew

Does anyone have an advance for deciding on the dropper length. I think I can fit a 170 but I am not 100%

Am I right in assuming that a dropper post that is too tall basically not useable?

pahoehoe
    Free Member

I could’nt find a reverb stealth for less than circa £250 which for an occasional rider like myself is too much. That brand x looks much more interesting.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@Charlie – there’s a formula to measure it on the RS site, but too long is a liability – you can set it at any height you want in the travel, but in the heat of battle the chances are you’ll get it wrong, I did a right number on my back year before last with an over extended seat.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Out of interest why are you after an internally routed post if you don’t have the holes in the frame to accommodate one? Externally routed reverbs are cheaper so might be within budget. A friend uses a giant contact which can be run as both.

swoosh
    Free Member

Read my op again, I’ve asked about external routed posts, not internal.

I’ve read about those Giant ones but they only come in an odd size which I can’t remember atm.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The giant post comes as a 30.9 but you can get a shim to make it fit 31.6 .

swoosh
    Free Member

Giant post is £130 on winstanley cycles, are they still a bit dodge or are they better than they were 5 or so years ago?

alexpalacefan

Reverb in the classifieds section.

APF

jaylittle
    Free Member

Sorry my mistake. My friends giant post has been fine and hes pretty tough on equipment.

swoosh
    Free Member

Good to know the Giant one is good value and robust.

docgeoffyjones

I just got a KS Eten. I have yet to ride it so no experience of durability. It is my first ever dropper. I have an older frame so had to go 27.2mm and shim

comes in 31.6, external routing and has a 2 year warranty. it is only 100mm though. mine was £125 from stif.

swoosh
    Free Member

I’ve heard good things about the ks Lev post but not heard anything about the eten. Certainly cheaper

Northwind

charliew – Member

Does anyone have an advance for deciding on the dropper length

As long as you can fit and afford basically, there’s a few folks that don’t mind a short dropper but by and large longer is better. It’s pretty much the equivalent of having a high gear range- it’s fine for a while then you want to use something you don’t have and it all comes apart.

Unless it’s for an XC bike I’d say don’t mess around with 100mm. I had a 100mm gravity dropper for a long time and it was, well, semi-useful. Good for simple riding. But the difference between that and a 150 is huge if you’re into riding harder stuff. Course, longer tends to add cost.

docgeoffyjones

I found a lot of positive reviews on other websites. If it is a dog at least I have 2 years warranty with stif. my options were quite limited as i have a 30.0mm seat tube. There was another thread on here where people were talking about RSP posts and how to run a internal dropper through a bottle cage boss

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cheap-125mm-272-dropper-post-on-ebay

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post virgin’ is closed to new replies.