Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dropper post for kids bikes?
  • lister

Has anyone gone down this route? My kids are probably more in need of a dropper than me, we’re forever adjusting their saddles for ups or downs.
    Have those really cheap Decathlon posts all disappeared and died now? Can’t find any on eBay, classifieds etc?
    Was also wondering about the Orbea digit non-dropper dropper posts, anything to speed the process up and one the fly adjustment might not be necessary.

Any experiences or ideas?
    Ta

paladin

Yep, got my lad a tmars £48 dropped from ebay. Great convenience for little hands which aren’t very good at tightening a seatpos t clamp

jkomo

Brand x £80 at crc

poah
    Free Member

the problem with droppers for kids bikes is the amount of weight needed to move the post.  trans-x do a 75mm post but its isn’t air pressure adjustable and the pressure is too great for a small kid.  KS do a 75mm one as well for the small diameter seat tubes.  if they have a 31.8 then it isn’t an issue to get one.

lister

Just remembered I posted this and thought I’d give it a bump.

We spent 2 days riding in the FOD and the kids are now riding bits of the red trails fairly well. It gave me a chance to see what they would benefit from.

I’m sure we don’t need on the fly adjustment. We tend to stop at the tops and bottoms of sections and that is when we adjust their saddles. So under the saddle levers would be fine.

If they aren’t heavy enough to drop the post then it’ll be easier for me to lean on the saddles than faff with gritted up quick release levers.

Both bikes are 27.2mm.

What are the budget brands on ebay I should be looking for? I’ve seen tranzX and exaform on the german websites.

Are there new ones in the £30-50 price range? I’d probably only fit them for ‘proper’ rides and use the standard posts when we’re pootling around to extend the lifespan a bit…

Cheers for any tips etc…

poah
    Free Member

trans-x do a 27.2mm dropper.  only issue with the really cheap one is that the air pressure isn’t adjustable.  It is handy for quickly putting the seat down and putting it back up to the same height.

monkeyboyjc

A under saddle lever operated E-ten can be bought on eBay for 40<50 quid…

i_like_food

I got a secondhand KS lev 27.2 seat post which worked well for my son. Saved so much faffing at the top and bottom of climbs, definitely will get another.  Didn’t lose much when I sold it on, I think it worked out at a £50 total cost including a service for 18 months use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post for kids bikes?’ is closed to new replies.