Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dropper post for fat knacker
  • qtip

I’ve never really been bothered about dropper posts before as most of my riding has involved long climbs followed by long descents, but a change of location has meant that I’m now considering one. My concern, however, is that I’m a big fat knacker at the minute (losing weight but currently just over 19st) and I don’t want to spank a load of cash on a dropper post only to kill it. I’m limited to a 27.2mm post and was thinking about a Gravity Dropper due to the simplicity, ease of servicing, and ability to convert to SDG I-Beam, but I would consider others. Are there any other similarly hefty forumers that have experience on how these posts cope with arses at the lardier end of the spectrum?

seavers
    Free Member

I use a Gravity Dropper, Turbo model I think. Pretty sure there isn’t a rider weight limit.

Works really well plus easy to service and parts are cheap and easy to get hold of. Not as nice looking as a Reverb but certainly not ugly. Only thing is cost really but buy cheap buy twice was my excuse.

Suggsey
    Free Member

With riding kit etc I am over the 19 stone mark and I use a reverb- bloody great bit of kit- I am a dropper convert- wish I had the dosh for a second one on my hardtail.

qtip

Cheers for the feedback. It’s the fact that I’m restricted to a 27.2 mm post that is giving me second thoughts due to the reduced diameter of the upper part of the post.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Destroyed 2x x-fusion Hilo’s and one trail drop in 27.2 guises at a mere 14 & a 1/2 stone and have reverted back to a standard Thomson…..upper tube failures all round. Haven’t tried the gravity dropper or the Lev but thinking 27.2 droppers are probably not for me! Miss my previous bullet proof 31.6 reverb that became a non option with a frame switch to a mk 2 soul frame. A chromag seatpost clamp and the Thomson are working just fine in the meantime…..good excuse for a quick breather at the top of climbs before descending!

qtip

Hmm, that kind of confirms my fears kiwifiz, although I would hope that the Gravity Droppers are a bit better constructed, given their price. I like the excuse for a breather too but my current riding is a bit more up and down and stopping to move the post is getting to be a pain (I hate descending with the post up).

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Definitely sympathise qtip……miss the reverb, and it is a pain stopping now most of my mates are dropper converts. Think the infinite adjustment of hydraulic posts has the edge over the mechanical set position options for me at least, having tried both…..guess you wouldn’t miss it if you hadn’t tried it.

I’m very tempted by the KS Lev option but just waiting to see how other users experiences pan out before i bend any more posts. Other option is a new reverb compatible Soul frame of course! perhaps when they start to turn up 2nd hand……

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Double post frenzy……doh!

qtip

I thought I’d ask Gravity Dropper directly, and this was the response I got:

“Because the post is installed backwards there is no weight limit on our seat posts.”

Anyone got any idea what they mean by installed backwards?

Sounds encouraging at least.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Summit to do with the ‘gubbins’ possessing the baility to be installed forwards or backwards. Why that makes any difference to what load it can take, is beyond my massive intelygense.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

When I say baility, I clearly meant ability. I blame these new, ‘keybords’.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

…FFS

qtip

Ah, that’s much clearer!!! :p

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post for fat knacker’ is closed to new replies.