Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dropper post cheap and reliable ?
  • The Slider

Is there such a thing ? Got a ‘classic’ (modern word for old) Cannondale with a 27.7” seatpost. Looking to get a 120, 130 or at a push 150 mm. Any suggestions and best priced options ?

nickjb

Do you mean 27.2″? They are much rarer in that size. Also think you’ll struggle to get that much drop.

There is a STW article on it, though:
    https://singletrackworld.com/2019/04/27-2-dropper-post-8-upgrades-for-your-mountain-bike/

I put a Tmars an the wife’s bike, which is a gravity dropper copy. It’s been pretty reliable but the action isn’t very nice.

I think you might even be better off buying a new (old, but not as old) frame so you fit a “proper” sized one. It’ll likely be cheaper than the post

The Slider

Sorry, can I blame predictive text for that one ? 27.2” obviously.
    Anyone fancy a quiche ??

The Slider

Brilliant article there, thanks Nickjb. And that’s what I really wanted, comments from actual owners. Nice one

velocipede

I’m running the 27.2 Ascend post (external routing) on my carbon Cannondale – I also have them on other bikes in the household too, albeit in the longer travel/larger dia flavour – highly recommended! Yes there’s a bit of sideways slop in all of them but they are easy to maintain and really reliable.

Only downside is the short travel with the 27.2, I think mine’s only 105 mm, but you’d be surprised how effective it is – it’s a million times better than not having one!

wzzzz

These are great for £60 in 27.2 size

KS eten -i or -r

The i is internal routed cable (just drill a hole in your seattube…) or the r for the external one.

I’ve had the crotch grabber version for a while, but would get the remote now they are so cheap.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967542392.html

Premier Icon hamishthecat
    Subscriber

I’ve got a Thomson in 27.2 – 125mm drop. Nice post and has been reliable so far. But bloody expensive. Got mine as a refurb from Wiggle’s EBay outlet.

Edit: didn’t read all of thread title 🙄

Premier Icon boris
    Subscriber

I’ve had the cube 27.2 120mm dropper and it didn’t last too well, about 6 months before I warrantied it. It’s the same as the tranX and Brand-X ‘CX’ ones.

I currently have a KS LEV Si and its holding up much better and is serviceable when the time comes.

bensongd

Also had the KS with the lever under the saddle in 27.2, think it was 100mm drop. Very well made and cheap, under a £100

Premier Icon halifaxpete
    Subscriber

I had a 27.2 KS i7 for years over afew different bikes, never let me down, only downside was the lever was under the saddle. Big fan of Brand X now but dont think they’re available in that size.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

I have a 27.2 XFusion Manic on my gravel bike. Impressed so far and amazing how even 50mm of drop makes a difference on steeper stuff.

damascus

I’ve got an old gravity dropper 27.2 thats going cheap!

escrs

Ive had a KS Eten R and a Brand-X Ascend II both in 27.2 with external routing

Dont bother with the KS Eten R, mine wasn’t very good, always felt rough when nearing the top of the travel plus the external routed cable had to have enough slack to travel up with the post

The Brand X on the other hand has been spot on, feels super smooth, the cable doesn’t need to move with the post and it is run with the cable barrel at the post end rather than the lever end which makes it easier to install

Only downside is they do have a bit of rotational play

From what Ive heard any warranty issues are sorted quickly and normally they just give you a new post

Ive got FOX Transfers on 3 other bikes and the Brand X is nearly on par with them

Another vote for brand x external here fantastic kit for the money, very nearly as good as a factory transfer I had.

The Slider

Cheers guys, appreciate your advise

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.