• This topic has 44 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Dropper post – cable operated one that works ?
  • Trimix
    Free Member

I love my Reverb, but its not going to fit internally in my new bike frame without drilling bigger holes.

So, having removed the LH shifter I now have an un-used internal route for a cable.

So, which dropper post that’s cable operated can you recommend.

One that works well repeatedly and doesn’t look like it was made in a shed.

nickjb
    Free Member

Specialized Command Post.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Reverb hose is same diameter as dropper cable Shirley?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trimix
    Free Member

Well the diameter may well be the same, but the hole in the frame is actually designed so only the inner cable runs through the frame. The outer stays outside.

Id have to drill out the hole a bit – which I’m reluctant to do at the movement. I’m hoping there are cable alternatives that work well.

With the command post, is the drop infinitely variable like the Reverb ? Does it drop the same amount as the Reverb ?

jamesfts
    Free Member

Lev Integra and a Southpaw lever? Mine wasn’t perfect out of the box but after a quick rebuild it has been faultless for the last few years.

That or just enlarge the holes slightly and stick with the Reverb.

Tracey

We have Command posts on all our bikes which work effortlessly, both internal and external routing. The older style has an up or down 125mm drop and a position at 25mm down. Never needed any thing else. The newer ones which are internal routing have 10 positions on them.

baddddad
    Free Member

Reverb cables are about 0.1 mm thicker than a standard gear cable which makes all the difference on some frames.

Had the same issue on my stumpjumper replacing the command post with a reverb

Command post much more reliable than reverb but needs caution if you still want to have children at some point

Tracey

I’ve done with kids, at least the giving birth part.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Command post much more reliable than reverb but needs caution if you still want to have children at some point

Yep. The new CP is a massive improvement, but rebound is still a bit severe! Reverb is betterer, however.

golo
    Free Member

Do people really hover low enough legs akimbo over the seat and let the Command Post fly? Masochists / kinky – delete as applicable.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Command post, had two now and been faultless. Current has not had a cable change since purchase sept 2014.

New one is multi-position as well

br
    Free Member

Well the diameter may well be the same, but the hole in the frame is actually designed so only the inner cable runs through the frame. The outer stays outside.

My carbon Cube was like this, so I just drilled out the ‘stops’ and fitted a Stealth Reverb.

mattbee

Thomson.

Trimix
    Free Member

Mmmm, Im temped to drill out the stops, especially as Reverb are available for £160, and all the others (Thompson / Spec) are about £200-250

jairaj

I’m a big fan of the KS LEV that I have, nice smooth action and it’s been pretty reliable without any looking after apart from a hose down every now and then.

The new Spec command post is getting very good reviews in the mags.

My second bike has the cheap RSP plummet which has no rebound damping at all so pops up pretty fast with a loud top out. I don’t think it’s an issue, my man parts have never been bruised at all by the post. Even in the heat of the moment. Its very easy to coordinate the button press with standing up to allow the post sufficient room to pop up.

Trimix
    Free Member

Actually, if I do drill out the stops, just how do you thread the hose all the way from the seat tube, round the BB, up the frame and out of the correct hole near the head tube.

Wont it be like threading a needle in your locked bathroom via the front door letter box with boxing glove on ?

hughjengin
    Free Member

command post here, works a treat.

Tracey

What frame

Trimix
    Free Member

Scott Spark.

Its all shiny new carbon at the moment, but I cant live without a dropper and don’t want an external routed one. Especially as all the other cables are internal.

Tracey

I wouldn’t drill it out, it may void any warranty you have on it.

Trimix
    Free Member

That’s why I ended up asking about cable droppers 🙂

But the warranty does not cover you for crashing it into a tree, only if it fails. So basically its a pointless warranty in reality. It not going to break due to bad manufacturing.

Its going to break because I crash it (badly)

So, sod the warranty and drill it, or pay £100 more and get a cable dropper…………..Mmmm.

Tracey

We had two crash replacement carbon frames from Specialized last year after a couple of off piste moments in the Alps. Still expensive but not as bad as full price.
    Have a look on ebay, new Command posts come up at reasonable prices, usually taken off new purchases without trying.

ThePinkster

It not going to break due to bad manufacturing.

It wouldn’t be the first one to do that*.

*I don’t mean specifically Scott, rather frames in general

fathomer

Trimix – Member
    Mmmm, Im temped to drill out the stops, especially as Reverb are available for £160, and all the others (Thompson / Spec) are about £200-250

Where have you seen them for that?

StuE
    Free Member

Command post,bought second hand and been faultless for last 2 years

razorrazoo

Is everyone missing the point here that you are thinking that on a cable dropper there is no outer once the cable enters the frame. From a stealth Lev I had the full cable and outer ran inside the frame, not just the inner, so no sure your going to get away with that anyway on a cable dropper. I’d be worried about a bare cable routed round bends in the frame slowly sawing away at the insides of your lovely carbon tubes.

If I have misunderstood carry on as you were.

EDIT this may help (a little) or here

hainman
    Free Member

Have been using the giant Contact dropper for nearly 3 years,new cable and strip down and it’s good to go plus it now comes in stealth mode

spower3
    Free Member

Command IRCC (10 adjustment one) here on a Specialized Enduro. Always had reverbs before, command isnt as smooth as the reverb and did take a little bit of getting used to as the drop is quicker than the reverb but after a few drops I forgot it was any different.
    Yes the return speed looks eye wateringly fast but it doesn’t pack any punch. Think I’ve got around 10psi in mine. I’ve caught it on the inside of my leg once when I was looking down and if I hadn’t been looking down wouldn’t have really registered it.
    Can’t comment on longevity as I’ve only used it on 3 outings so far but initial impressions are positive and the ease of servicing it myself is a big bonus as well.

Trimix
    Free Member

Thanks for those links Razorrazoo, interesting reading.

I will pop up to the local Scott dealer and have a look at the Genius, since that does run an internal Reverb. Either I copy that set up, or just drill out the cable stop in the frame and run it where the front mech would have gone.

chestrockwell

Thomson all day long. My mates Command is decent but nowhere near as slick as my Thomson or a Reverb for that matter.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well, whichever post I buy – I still need to route it internally. As has been pointed out, hose or outer will need to go through the frame.

Its a question of drill the existing hole out at the headstock or not, or drill out the plastic hose thingy at the BB area.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

My KS Lev Integra has been faultless and routed easily through my Trance carbon frame. The action is smooth, the lever integrates with ODI grips (a nice touch) and there is infinite adjustment.

lucky7500

Another vote for the KS Lev here. I have two (one for about 18 months and the other for one month) and haven’t had any problems at all. The occasional hose down and dry after very muddy rides is the only maintenance which I’ve carried out!! They really seem to just do the job without any fuss.

daver27
    Free Member

Razorrazoo hit the nail on the head, WHATEVER dropper you fit, be it cable or hydraulic, you’ll need to drill out the stop.

Trimix
    Free Member

I’ve found the answer. A dropper that has no cable / hose. Its wireless and comes out in Jan.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/magura-vyron-wireless-electronic-dropper-seatpost-eurobike-2015.html

That would mean it could fit all your bikes and wouldn’t mean you have to dismantle it for servicing / fixing / sending back.

PJM1974
    Free Member

For the past twelve months I’ve used a Reverb and a Command Post on both my FS bikes. The Reverb has the advantage of not having only three presents (although Specialized have resolved this now) and it doesn’t punch you in the spuds with a vengeance if caught unawares.

However, two hose bleeds later I’m not completely satisfied with the Reverb experience.

The Command Post will smack you in the taint, but it’s easy to adjust and generally maintenance free…be warned though that they aren’t user serviceable, even though some folk say that they are. I still cannot get the head off mine, so it’s off to Spesh at some point for TLC. They do like a bit of oil dribbled into the air valve on occasion too.

My new bike has an X-Fusion HiLo. The salesman dropped in the line “of course when it goes, you can fit a Reverb Stealth”.

iainc

my Giant one is pretty good – doesn’t seem inferior when swopping to other bike with a reverb on it. It has a few mm rotational play, which if it gets worse, will be a warranty claim, but it seems that all droppers rotate a bit..

nickjb
    Free Member

be warned though that they aren’t user serviceable, even though some folk say that they are. I still cannot get the head off mine

just unscrew the nut. It’s awkward to grip but not impossible. Perfectly user serviceable.

Personally I prefer the 3 positions too. They are just right for climbing, general riding and tech/downhill for me and it always snaps into place. I appreciate that might not be right for everyone though.

BearBack
    Free Member

the DOSS has proved to be a super reliable post. The 3 positions actually work well especially for a trail bike with the 1″ drop as a good drop height for pedalling through tech.
    Anyway, the new fox dropper is about to well…drop.
    With regard to the genius, its not full internal routing. The dropper cable is intended to run down the downtube to just forward of the BB then enters the frame through a slot.
    Threading the cable/hose within the BB is easy as you simply remove the BB cable guide to give you sight access to where the hose has to go.
    Drilling out the front mech stop in the BB guide would be an option certainly. Ths plastic part is also available as a replacement if you ever want to go back to 2x
    As far as drilling out the head tube stop.. I did 2 frames and found that having the drill bit moving at good speed before starting to drill into the frame was a much cleaner way to get through the carbon.

Have you compared reverb hose diameter to a 4mm shifter cable outer end ferrule yet? If they match, its time to get going with your surgery 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post – cable operated one that works ?’ is closed to new replies.