Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Dropper post – anyone gone back?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Just debating getting a Reverb, anyone tried one and gone back to a conventional post?

tomhoward

Nope, never will either. Only reason I don’t have one on my HT is the seattube is too narrow for a reverb.

jes
    Free Member

Nope.

ThePinkster

What a terrible thought. I really miss my Reverb when I’m on my HT but I can’t fit one to it because of the bizarre seatpost size.

I’d be lost without it on the Mondy though. Can’t think of any reason to go back to a normal post.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On the bike the Reverb is on? Of course not! Couldn’t imagine a reason why I ever would.
    On the bikes I don’t have a Reverb on? Well, I don’t have a Reverb on them for a reason! 🙂

creamegg
    Free Member

Only went back to standard post when i managed to break the remote. Hated it and couldnt wait to get my reverb back

honourablegeorge

The Pinkster – Member
    What a terrible thought. I really miss my Reverb when I’m on my HT but I can’t fit one to it because of the bizarre seatpost size.

What size? 27.2 KS Lev is working well for me.

seavers
    Free Member

Only one bike… and knowing how much I use the dropper post attached to it, not a chance….unless it breaks of course.

Northwind

On my XC bike I sometimes go without suspension but I hate going without the dropper… The former is fun, the latter just feels stupid, like missing a limb.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Not a chance. I rode the OHs before he got a dropper and mine was getting tweaked. I hated every minute of it and it gave me a bad back from having to struggle with the seat too low after I’d dropped it because I was too lazy to stop and get off and put it back up again!

GEDA
    Free Member

Yes but then I don’t sit down that much so do not mind running my seat post lower. I just got a second hand gravity dropper and the mechanical nature of it appeals to me as one other the reasons I could do without it is having one more thing to go wrong that I can’t fix. If you like sitting down for fire roads/do not have that strong legs or just like riding with a saddle up your arse you probably will not go back. Otherwise just run your saddle lower.

Superficial
    Free Member

Had a Reverb on my full-sus for about 2 years now, and my hardtail is still without one. It’s a cause of slight irritation every time I ride the hardtail, and I’d have one at the drop of a hat if they weren’t so bloody expensive, but I can live without it. Just.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

not gone back, but do rarely ride the bike with the reverb on it, dont actualy miss ut as much as I thought, maybe becausevthe other bike is the right (larger) size do theres so much more room to move about in anyway.

shifter
    Free Member

I’ve got one and I don’t think it’s the best thing since disc brakes. Mine’s a 100mm GD and I’ve recently drilled it half way as I’m not keen on the full drop.
    I’m amazed people fit them on XC bikes.

Northwind

shifter – Member

I’m amazed people fit them on XC bikes.

That’s where it’s most useful IMO… My bigger bikes tend to be going up or down, relatively easy to plan ahead and drop a post but xc bikes go up, down, over and along, all the time, with much less stopping.

johnnystorm

Sold mine when I changed frames, fair enough I live in Suffolk but on trips away I don’t miss it. E pensive and heavy bit of kit to compensate for excessively baggy shorts. 😉

boxfish
    Free Member

Yes. The bike it was on was stolen. Didn’t bother replacing it.

mcnultycop

Only had a Lev on the FS 3 weeks. It’s brilliant and I won’t go back. I’m not fitting one on the HT though, but that only yes used on smooth stuff at the moment.

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

6 months of fun around the Peak District on my Norco Sight Killer B and I am convinced. Its a fantastic piece of kit and I would not go back.

Depends on the bike and the terrain of course

hora
    Free Member

Depends on the trails. Peaks? No

scottfitz
    Free Member

Or Gravity dropper or xfustion hi-lo there are still options at 27.2

jambalaya
    Free Member

I know a few people who’ve gone back as their dropper broke and they cannot afford to replace it.

mudsoul
    Free Member

I used my normal post for a week when I sold my old dropper and was awaiting delivery of my new dropper. Such an eye opener on how much you get used to the convenience afforded by these toys!

I have the Lev, and before that KS i950. KS posts seem very well made.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Passionately hated my dropper, sold it after a fortnight, I never drop my post, never feel the need.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

sneaky was it a case of you didn’t use it or didn’t like it?

If you didn’t drop it I fail to see how it was any different than a normal post?

I’m considering getting one so the negative opinions like yours really help too.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I won’t be going back.

I hate riding anything fun with my post up so used to spend loads of time faffing putting my post up and down which meant stopping. Being able to do it in the fly is much easier.

I bought my Reverb earlier this year and its been great so far although I do worry about the lever so run it under the bars where my left hand shifter would be. They’re easy to bleed but are quite heavy.

timmys

I never drop my post, never feel the need.

Why the flippty flip would you spend money on one then?

failedengineer

I’ve just put a standard post on after a couple of rides with a Reverb which came as standard on my new bike. Tried it, didn’t like it and it just seems like something else expensive to have to service and/or repair. Maybe I’m just not rad enough.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I find it hard to understand the didn’t like it comments?

Isn’t it a case of even if you don’t drop it it still acts as a standard post ?

If it’s a case of won’t use it that’s very different to not liking it.

AlexSimon

I’ve even considered putting one on my cross bike. I find I can’t corner on anything with a high post now 🙁

BillOddie

They are ace and I probably wouldn’t go back as I have now been spoilt and changed my cornering technique to suit a lower seat (ie I now coroner properly).

That being said… the choices for 27.2mm seat tubes are limited to either cheap and “ok” TMARS types, expensive KS Levs, expensive gravity droppers or X Fusion Hilo (which have issues.

I have a Hilo at the moment and love the infinite adjustment and lack of “bum tapping” needed to get it to return.

I dislike the fact that it descends when you sit on it (rate of 1cm every 5 mins or so) so you have to hit the remote when stand up to pop it back up. And the remote is a rattly cheap piece of s*** which has developed more slop than is reasonable.

clubber
    Free Member

Kind of. I have one and fit it for some riding but not for what I ride locally which IME doesn’t need it. It’s great where it’s great though 🙂

(My Hilo holds its position fine BTW)

scottfitz
    Free Member

expensive gravity droppers

There cheaper than reverb’s 😉

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I’ve gone back, not through choice.
    My Hilo broke and I can’t afford to replace it. Not that I’d want to replace it with another Hilo, mind, I’d rather have a GD, but they are considerably more expensive.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Got a 27.2mm Forca Vario on my Salsa Selma.

Very rudimentary, with only two positions, but comparatively light for a dropper post, very straightforward mechanically and easy to maintain.

For the mainly XC trails on the IOW where I live where the techy descents I need it for are relatively few and far between, it’s ideal.

On the odd occasions I’ve fitted the old post that it replaced, I’ve missed and put it back on soon after.

Wouldn’t dream of it.

Just about cope on the HT on the odd occasion when I ride it off road, but on the FS, I couldn’t be without one.

One of the best solutions to a problem ever made for MTB’s

mmannerr

Going back every time the Reverb breaks and during winter. Other than those reasons no chance of going back to normal post on a trail bike.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

And the remote is a rattly cheap piece of s*** which has developed more slop than is reasonable.

You can have my old remote lever kit.
    Got everything, except the wee gear cable end cap thing.
    It didn’t see much use, as I opted for the lever. £15 posted

ThePinkster

onourablegeorge – Member
    The Pinkster – Member

It’s an older bike with something like 30.6mm. TBH it needs to be pretty long as well so I would worry about damaging a dropper, even if I could fit one.

The Thudbuster I’ve got works fine on it most of the time though, with a shim.

winch
    Free Member

It’s an older bike with something like 30.6mm

18 Bikes, as well as I am sure other good good shops, could perhaps ream your seat tube out to 30.9.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post – anyone gone back?’ is closed to new replies.