• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dropper post and funny shaped frame tubes – which workstand?
  • wwaswas

I don’t want to clamp around the dropper shaft, can’t remove it to put a normal post in without cutting lots of zip ties and there’s no tubes on the frame that the workstand will clamp around on one bike and I’m not sure I want to clamp thin tubes on the others.

Looked at the ‘roadie’ type stands that do BB support plus a QR clamp for the fork dropouts but not sure they’ll work with 15/20mm fork axles and it’s pain not being able to adjust front brakes in the stand.

What do other people do?

spacehopper

i stand mine on the floor and prop it against the wall / table / whatever is handy

never quite understood the need for workstands.. 😆

I_Ache
    Free Member

I saw a pic from the EWS where the mechanic had used the dropper stanchion. I wouldn’t fancy doing that because I don’t get them for free.

My dropper (command post) has height markings on it so I just drop the saddle as low as it will go and raise the post up to take up the slack from the cable. Of course this is no use if you have a stealth post.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

I’m going to be in the same position soon, best I could come up with is an Andystand or one of these:

Neither lets you drop wheels out easily though 🙁

dawson

just turn your bike over and put it upside down. The fact you have a dropper means the height is adjustable 😉

P20

When I’ve worked on wor lasses bikes with the dropper post, I’ve just compressed the post to allow enough slack in the remote cable, pull enough post out of the frame and clamp it that way. Works for me

fathomer

I’ve got the same problem with my new bike, I_Ache’s suggestion sounds about the best idea.

nickjb
    Free Member
    kayak23

Turn the workstand clamp horizontal and clamp the bike on the saddle-nose innit…
    Probably might be okay…

wwaswas

I quite like the look of this one.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Repair-Stands/prepstandrace

although it’s £150 😯

ads678

wwaswas – What bike is it?

wwaswas

Well, main one I have a problem with is a Maverick ML7/5 with a CB dropper post but the seat and top tubes on my Titus, On-one and Scott are all too large for my Minoura stands clamp, plus I have problems clamping the seat tube on the specialized due to lack of clearnace and I’m not too happy about clamping Ti and Carbon frames by the tubes really. My Curtis fits fine though 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

Curious as to why you don’t want to use the dropper just below the saddle? Surely the forces (Assuming you’re not leaning on the bike removing stuck components etc) are much less than when you’re sat on it?

Mister-P
    Free Member

When you are sitting on a dropper post it is in compression, the way it is designed. If you clamp the saddle or upper part of the post then it is under tension, not what it is designed for. If I work on someone’s bike which has a dropper I would never hang it in this fashion. It’s probably over cautious but it isn’t my bike to damage.

i stand mine on the floor and prop it against the wall / table / whatever is handy

never quite understood the need for workstands..

How do you tune your gears and brakes without the wheels being free to turn?

JoeG
    Free Member

I use a Thule frame adapter. Not the perfect solution, but the best that I’ve found so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dropper post and funny shaped frame tubes – which workstand?’ is closed to new replies.