Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dropper play now remote dies after a month -Warranty or suck it up? StartFitness
  • stevextc
    Free Member

So I was looking for a dropper and found the Marzocchi on sale for £200 and the remote for £50.

I then got another 5% off for leaving it in an inbox.

The retailer was StartFitness… not anyone I’d ever heard of … but well the price was good 😀

First thing is the dropper has a lot of play … well a lot compared to my Thomson.  This doesn’t affect riding but every time I pick the bike up I feel like something is loose…

Then the next thing is after less than a month the main pivot bolt on the remote has dropped out.  It’s bodged with a hacksawed screw and a bolt now..

I don’t know whether to try and do a return or not.  Potentially I’ll be without a dropper for a long time and/or end up spending a lot of my time ?

Anyone have any experience with returns with StartFitness?

What would you do?

Tracey

Give them a ring they are usually very good

warpcow
    Free Member

How are you ever going to know if you are going to try returning it if you don’t just contact the place you might return it too?  And really, there are no ‘ifs’ or ‘mights’ about it.  Just contact them, tell them what’s wrong and let them handle it.  If they don’t, remind them it’s their obligation to handle it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Hard to say if the play is excessive. Can you compare it to another of the same make? Might be normal, most droppers have some play, might be faulty (or at least at the far end of the production tolerances).

As for the bolt falling that out, they may do something but I wouldn’t say that was a warranty issue, especially, although I suppose it is worth asking. Your repair may be more sturdy that the original. If that was the only issue personally I’d be a bit annoyed but live with it.

philjunior
    Free Member

Play in a new dropper post is great, it lets me know that my old one doesn’t need new brass keys yet.

But back to your question – if you aren’t happy get in touch and see what they say.

stevextc
    Free Member

Cheers… I’ll give that a go.

Hopefully I’m not starting something I regret later.

(It’s not like it’s not working, it’s just not what I think the quality is meant to be)

stevextc
    Free Member

How are you ever going to know if you are going to try returning it if you don’t just contact the place you might return it too

Well, the main thing is I don’t want to be without a dropper for an extended period.

I especially don’t want to be without a dropper and then they come back in a month and say “sorry it’s within tolerances”.

Hard to say if the play is excessive. Can you compare it to another of the same make? Might be normal, most droppers have some play, might be faulty (or at least at the far end of the production tolerances).

Yep I agree…. which is why I’m a bit on the fence.  If I’d bought this from a LBS it would be different but of course there I was being cheap… I did get an opinion from the mechanic at Leisure Lakes @ 417 (and they are pretty good blokes) that he thinks it’s more than a fox performance… (which it’s meant to be a direct copy of)…

I also posted when I first got it and other’s have said no appreciable wiggle OR it had wiggle but after I sent it for a service the wiggle had disappeared.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>As for the bolt falling that out, they may do something but I wouldn’t say that was a warranty issue, especially, although I suppose it is worth asking. Your repair may be more sturdy that the original. If that was the only issue personally I’d be a bit annoyed but live with it.</span>

Yeah, it meant moving the remote to stop the bolt fouling on the brakes… but it is liveable with… quite honestly I’d be happy with a replacement bolt from Fox/Maz… and I’ll locktite it…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dropper play now remote dies after a month -Warranty or suck it up? StartFitness’ is closed to new replies.