Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Dropper on XC bike – side-effects
  • BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I have a feeling that GravityDropper used to do a 26.8mm post, but not sure. From your picture, it looks like you might squeeze a 3″ drop GravityDropper in there with a lower stack saddle. I think the TMars is basically a cheaper knockoff of the GravityDropper, so functionality would probably be pretty much the same. I think the worst thing about the GravityDropper is the flimsy lever, not sure if TMars improved on that at all.

I’ve no idea if it’s similar to the Gravity lever, but it’s not too bad, considering the general quality. Now I’m pretty familiar with it’s guts and operation, I’ll hopefully figure out what works best and make some improvements as I go.

It’s a lot of arsing about for basically an obsolete bike, that I use for work, but it was lying about, so thought it could be fun to play with. Plus the spares availability is good. I’m definitely thinking about getting a decent one for my good bike now, but this whole thread has got me looking at pure XC bikes in a way which I wouldn’t have before.

molgrips
    Free Member

I finished today on a favourite descent which is an old access track from the days of horses with several hairpins. They are steep ish, and having the saddle slammed allows you to really sit into the bike and use your weight to whip it around far more quickly than if you were sitting high up. With a flick of the hips you can also drift the back nicely which is also not really on with the seat up.

In terms of racing you could easily gain ten metres on an opponent who wasn’t using a dropper because you have to brake far less into this kind of corner.

sirromj

Any side effects on your vocab dude?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hols2
    Free Member

this whole thread has got me looking at pure XC bikes in a way which I wouldn’t have before.

What is a “pure” XC bike?

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

What is a “pure” XC bike?

Just semantics I suppose, but what I would consider a Cross Country racing bike. Something I would imagine to be more bum-up, head-down and lighter than my current Karate Monkey, with a narrower focus of intended use.

I had been looking at replacing it with something like a Genesis Longitude/Kona Unit X/Marin Pinewood but have stated looking into Merida Big 9/Orbea Alma type bikes. Does that make sense?

hols2
    Free Member

Fit a shorter stem with more rise, a dropper seatpost, and a fatter, grippier front tyre and your “pure” XC racebike is a trailbike. Amazing thing is that for most riders most of the time, it will probably be faster than the the bum-up, head-down race bike.

Kryton57

What is a “pure” XC bike

My experiment yesterday was on my upgraded Vitus Rapide

hols2
    Free Member

I always figured that a “pure XC” bike would have a headtube angle of at least 70 degrees. That Vitus looks to be slack enough to be considered as XC-Trail, maybe even Pure Trail. Much slacker and it’ll be trespassing on All Mountain.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Old definitions and boundaries are blurring so much these days, you could pick a wide variety of frames and with component choice, achieve a good “average” bike.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Another benefit of a dropper is for starting off on steep uphill bits.

Drop the saddle a little so you can get your bum on it. You can then get your weight over the rear tyre for grip when you stab the pedal down. Pop it up to climbing height once you are clipped in.

mcvittees
    Free Member

I’ve had 125mm Brand-x dropper on my race HT on / off for the last year (125mm is waaaay to much for XC).  On / off mainly because I’m a weight weenie and 100% of the XC racing down here in the Eastern region doesn’t need one.  However, for recreational riding it’s much more fun and makes the race bike much more versatile for all the reasons already listed in this thread.  The only negative I have is one of comfort.  I had been using a Chinese knock off of the Canyon carbon leaf spring seat post (VCLS?) which really helped dull impacts coming through the rear triangle.  The dropper post has no give whatsoever.  However, I have decided to MTFU, ride out the saddle more and bought some XTR bits to offset the weight gain (the bike’s not mine!)

molgrips
    Free Member

On / off mainly because I’m a weight weenie and 100% of the XC racing down here in the Eastern region doesn’t need one.

I’m going to say if there’s ANY windy singletrack on your XC race courses, you should get a benefit if you know how to work with it.

geex
    Free Member

Oh do shut up! Plenty folk can ride twisty singletrack fast without the need for a dropper. Especially if they’re clipped in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t say you couldn’t ride it fast without one.  I said you would probably find it quicker with one.  And you’d probably gain more speed than you’d lose by weighing 250g more.

All in my estimation.

mattbee

I’d say 95% of my local trails (QECP, Kingley Vale, Lordswood etc…) I’m either no slower or actually faster with the rigid post on my xc race bike, according to Strava data.

The other 5%, mainly the steeper stuff with big drops & jumps in, I’m absolutely slower and can tell when I ride them that I’m not in as good a place on the bike.

I guess then, it depends on where you ride and what the trails are like. Like so many things in life although generally it’s abgood thing to have a dropper it’s not always the life changing thing it can be made out to be.

My Di2 battery is in the seatpost though so I’m reluctant to change on that bike.

I am currently rebuilding my old Parkwood frame up as a winter/play bike though & that is getting the dropper put on it for sure.

I was an early adopter too; Maverick  Speedball way back in the day was my first dropper, before CB bought the license for them…

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Dropper on XC bike – side-effects’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts