• This topic has 55 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Dropped torque wrench
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Probably should get it recalibrated? Dropped it twice onto a concrete floor. It’s the X-Tools one, cost about £60, so I don’t want to just get another one, but what’s the cost of having it checked?

jamesy01
    Free Member

Dropped mine more than twice on to concrete…its the Superstar one…I’m still alive and the bikes are still in one piece!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Do you know someone local with another torque wrench? I wonder if you could couple the drives together and see if they click at the same time?
    I’ve never tried this mind, the thought just popped into my head.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said but use a nut and see if you click at the same torque setting

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d not worry, yes they lose their calibration over time, but unless you actualy break it then it’s unlikley to be out by more than a few percent.

I’m guessing it didn’t even come with a calibration certificate in the first place?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yeah my mate has one, I’ll try that.

Otherwise, probably ok then?

ahwiles
    Free Member

you can check the calibration easily enough with some maths:

clamp the drive in a vice, so that the handle is horizontal.

hang a weight off the handle, calculate what torque this creates, see if the ‘click’ agrees.

try a few times, and with different weights, to check the full range of the scale.

it’s not a perfect process, but it’s better than not calibrating at all.

neilthewheel

How do you know that the one you are calibrating against is calibrated?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Dropped mine more than twice on to concrete…its the Superstar one…I’m still alive and the bikes are still in one piece!”

I assume you just use the torque wrench for show? ….. Its not really doing you any good.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Bottom line is a torque wrench is not a tool, it is a precision measuring instrument. If it has been dropped it needs to be checked. Up to you if you do, or course, but without calibration you may as well not use it.

I was in the Facom torque wrench calibration lab last week, they test the testers using pretty much the technique awhiles states, with a bit more control and documentation.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

why not call machine mart or similar and see if they do it?

bigblackshed

The last torque wrenches I bought for work were about £45 each. The calibration cert was £36 each. They all clicked at different points on the same setting. I think I was ripped off with the calibration.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Waiting to hear back from a local place with a price

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The last torque wrenches I bought for work were about £45 each. The calibration cert was £36 each. They all clicked at different points on the same setting. I think I was ripped off with the calibration.”

and this means what exactly ?

you mean the nut was in a different position ? also what was the % variance in the calibration report and what end of the scale were you using your wrench in. Ie an average 5-25 wrench will not be as accurate at 5ftlbs or 25ft lbs as it will at 15ftlbs

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I assume you just use the torque wrench for show? ….. Its not really doing you any good.

Maybe if getting the correct torque is critical, but seeing as most bike parts don’t even come with instructions as to whether the bolt should be greased or not, it’s hardly critical.

The last stem I had with the torque printed on it stated 4-5Nm, that’s a 25% margin! Knowing that your torque wrench is accurate +/-1% or even a really bad 10% isn’t going to affect you. And then there’s the fact that no one actualy calulates what the torque should be for a combination of parts. All very well knowing that the carbon steerer on specialized bikes is OK for 5Nm on the stem bolts, but what if your stem has m3 rather than m4 bolts, or has 3 or a 1 bolt clamp, what if the stack height of the stem is different? Unless you’ve sat down and done pages of calculations, had them checked by someone else who’s been audited and certified by LRQA, you’re just using “the torque wrench for show”.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I think I was ripped off with the calibration.

did you not get the cert? 😉

leffeboy

If I were concerned I would do as ahwhiles suggests and use a container of water for the weight to make it easy to change

Drac

Bottom line is a torque wrench is not a tool, it is a precision measuring instrument. If it has been dropped it needs to be checked. Up to you if you do, or course, but without calibration you may as well not use it.

He’s using it for his bike not aircraft repairs.

ahwiles
    Free Member

at work, we calibrate a lot of our own kit (it’s an aerospace certified lab, we’re up to our neck in quality-control)

some of the torque wrenches we’ve seen are ab-so-lutely miles out. like 200% out. (and that’s new kit, not stuff that’s been knocking around the shop floor for 7 years)

that means torquing to 15Nm, when you want 5.

if it matters, it matters.

leffeboy

ok, out of curiosity I checked mine. Takes less than 5 mins

torque wrench with square ‘bit’ in vice. Set to 10Nm
    5kg weight with two tie-wraps to hang it from. Move it up the handle to the point where the torque wrench ‘clicks’. Distance = 17.5cm

So,
    Force = 5kg x 9.8 = 49N
    Torque = 49 x 0.175 = 8.5Nm

Not accurate but close enough to 10Nm for me and super easy to do.
    Note that you need to use quite a large weight to swamp the effect of the weight of the handle of wrench itself.

Cost = 0
    Time = 5 mins
    Accuracy = good enough for bike work

I also note the my wrench says it always has to be zeroed after you use it but I forget half the time. I don’t know if that screws it up but I would guess so 🙁

gravity-slave
    Free Member

He’s using it for his bike not aircraft repairs.

The application (no matter if it’s used on a tractor or stealth bomber) doesn’t change the fact a torque wrench is still a precision instrument.

If accuracy is not the goal, just use a ratchet handle, or accept it could be 200% out.

I also note the my wrench says it always has to be zeroed after you use it but I forget half the time. I don’t know if that screws it up but I would guess so

Yes, it can do. The spring can take a permanent set and lead to errors.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ll find someone with a vice and try that then.

bigblackshed

Trailrat.

We’ve had a particular troublesome tooling part that requires torquing to 18Nm. I bought some 5-30 torque wrenches that had the proper attachment to torque the part up. We torqued up some parts and all seemed well. Then it was stripped later for maintenance and another shift did the work with a different torque wrench, same model, bought at the same time, calibration cert. The part became troublesome again, so checked the work and the torque wrenches and there ended up a half turn difference at the same setting between 4 torque wrenches. This is on a M10 fine pitch threaded cap with an 8mm AF “nut head”. Not lubed. The lightest clicked at 14Nm the heaviest at 23Nm, both set at 18Nm.

I will have to dig the test certs out and get them redone somewhere else.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If it’s out, can I recalibrate I myself, or is that not a DIY job

leffeboy

I’ll find someone with a vice and try that then.

No need. an adjustable spanner and something to tie it too should do although it is probably a bit fiddlier

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Also worth noting, consistency is probably more important than accuracy, so check a pair of bolts to ensure they are the same and one won’t come loose (stem to steerer, faceplate, crank pinch bolts etc).

thegreatape
    Free Member

Spanner it is then

Marko

My local garage supply place checks then for free against a calibrated test rig. Look for a place that fits ramps, compressors etc and is ideally a service centre for one of the tool companies – like Sealey, Britool or CP etc.

Hth
    Marko

andyr
    Free Member

5kg weight with two tie-wraps to hang it from. Move it up the handle to the point where the torque wrench ‘clicks’. Distance = 17.5cm

So,
    Force = 5kg x 9.8 = 49N

You forgot to take the self weight of the wrench into account.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sorry you lost me tinas when you started trying to tell me a tube has a torque limit.

same with handlebars with torque limits – its bullshit and you know that.

it has a limit on clamping force – that doesnt equal a torque.

its an arbitary number.

case in point my ritchey WCS carbon. seat post has a limit of 4nm. if you can get that seat post to keep your seat in place at 4nm your a clever man …. cause it wont happen with all the magic paste in the world- and im not the first to find that

Its about guidance and not being stupid. even with a torque wrench ive watched folk apply silly torques to things “but the wrench hasnt clicked yet” ….. did it ever occur to you it might be broken ?

How ever – suggesting that hitting it off the floor makes no odds…. thats just stupid.

BBS

“so checked the work and the torque wrenches and there ended up a half turn difference at the same setting between 4 torque wrenches. This is on a M10 fine pitch threaded cap with an 8mm AF “nut head”. Not lubed. The lightest clicked at 14Nm the heaviest at 23Nm, both set at 18Nm.”

how did you check this ? – im stumped as to how you could check without having a torque wrench calibration device.

leffeboy

andyr- You forgot to take the self weight of the wrench into account.

You caught me – sort of. It was deliberate to keep everything simple otherwise it gets unnecessarily messy. What I said instead was

Note that you need to use quite a large weight to swamp the effect of the weight of the handle of wrench itself.

In my case this meant using a 5kg weight which was 20x heavier that the wrench itself and as the cog is somewhere in the middle I estimated the effect to only add 0.15Nm so I didn’t care too much in the overall picture

LeeW

I’ll calibrate it for cake – I manage 13 UKAS laboratories so know what I’m doing.

Most of the time.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Where are you?

LeeW

andyr – Member
    So,
    Force = 5kg x 9.8 = 49N

You forgot to take the self weight of the wrench into account.

And Cosine error.

leffeboy

And Cosine error.

ooo, harsh audience tonight :). Do I have that in significant amounts if that handle is parallel to the floor?

LeeW

Based in the Midlands at the moment as I’ve just opened another laboratory near the airport.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ll happily send cake if that’s a genuine offer to do it?

LeeW

It is a genuine offer – done a few bits and pieces on here for people. Where are you?

thegreatape
    Free Member

North Scotland 🙂

I can post it and send money for return postage. There’s nowhere local to me that can do it without sending it elsewhere.

LeeW

Ha! My email is in my profile. drop me a line and I’ll forward you my address. I’m not fussed about return postage.

Just cake, only cake.

I’ll send it back with a certificate – not UKAS certified as they have to go through the system and it raises too many questions. It will be calibrated in exactly the same way though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Dropped torque wrench’ is closed to new replies.