Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • dropbox vs google drive / google +
  • meeeee
    Free Member

are these pretty much the same?

Got a new mobile (android) with both on but never used them before. It’ll be mainly for backing up photos and copying the odd document from work

The google account gives me more storage i think.

Any pro’s / cons of either

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Google publishes pics unless you tell it not to.
    Google has more space
    Both restrict you to one account per device though Dropbox is easier to con on a pc, but Google can be fixed through 3rd party stuff.
    Apart from that not too much difference, the Dropbox public folder is good for sharing in here.
    In summary get both.

aidso
    Free Member

I use Drive mainly because our IT team block Dropbox and like the way it hooks up with Gmail to add attachments and can share excel and word documents which can be edited in the browser.
    I have 3 Gmail addresses and one Drive for each. I can use and edit all 3 accounts on my Android phone [in reference to one account per device]. 🙂

somouk
    Free Member

I use Dropbox because I’ve been with them some time now and have 50 Gb of free storage due to the various offers they run.

Syncs on loads of stuff and I like the integration with the fingerprint reader on my phone to restrict access.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry it’s only one account per person unless you get the third party stuff

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Google Drive is one – significant – part of a much bigger ecosystem that includes Google Docs, Google + etc whereas Dropbox is “just’ cloud storage is it not? For that reason I’d recommend Google. I’m a huge fan of Google Drive and Docs.

the-muffin-man

Dropbox is “just’ cloud storage is it not?

That’s the main reason I use Dropbox – I’ve tried other services but there seems to be too much faffing admining over what is shared/uploaded/public etc.

Cougar

Any pro’s / cons of either

Well, this is Android, so there’s nothing stopping you from using either or both. Give ’em a go and see what you get on with?

Google publishes pics unless you tell it not to.

That wasn’t my experience; rather, setting it up I was asked, “we can back up your photos automatically if you like, do you want to?”

I’d have to check to be sure, but I don’t think they’re “published” as such if you say yes. It’s only yourself who can access them.

scotroutes

Yep – mine are automatically backed up but I have to choose the ones I want to share/publish. I just wish there was a way of sharing them to Facebook or Flickr directly from Google+

seosamh77
    Free Member

I prefer dropbox. No particular reason, I just do! 😆

geoffj

Dropbox is moving towards a closer relationship with Microsoft (https://blog.dropbox.com/2014/11/dropbox-microsoft-office-partnership/)

I use both as synced folders on my macs. Google Drive should be default option on Android IMHO

nemesis
    Free Member

Yep. Google only ‘syncs’ to pics if you set it to do so (or don’t deselect it when you set up the phone). Either way you can change that in the ‘accounts’ of settings.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘dropbox vs google drive / google +’ is closed to new replies.