Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Drop bars on an MTB
  • teethgrinder

Does/has anyone run road drop bars on a mountain bike?

I have a Giant XTC1 which I use for pootling about on the road…skinny tyres, bar ends etc. and the plan is to add drops, road STI 9 speed, carbon fork.

Anything I should know? What 9 speed road STI levers are compatible with MTB Shimano kit? Obviously I’d need BB5 or 7 as the calipers.

Nipper99
    Free Member

9spd xt rear mech works fine with 10sp 105 shifters.

oliverracing

yep got a scott that used to have that setup! – but currently got it running a homemade retroshift type thing – 9 speed bar end shifter mounted on brake lever to a XT 9 speed rear mech, woodchipper bars, steel forks… – designed to be a simple nothing possible to go wrong type bike -I had intended to use it for campus commuting and when I didn’t want to take my nice bikes out – but really like the way it rides so probably will take it out more in the future.

I did have it running sora 9 speed shifters with a deore 9 speed rear mech (below) – the easiest way of remembering what’s compatible is that all shimano road (bar some dura ace) 8,9,10 speed is compatible with all 8 and 9 speed shimano mtb rear mechs/shifters. don’t touch 10 speed MTB rear mechs for shimano on a drop bars set up.

My scott as is was this time last year

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TiRed

I couldn’t find any in the mtb diameter needed for teh hydraulic brakes on my mtb. So I settled on some inverted Soma Sparrow bars in a 48cm width. They are a bit like Midge bars, or even H bars and I absolutely love them. I have Ergon grips on the end to complete the weirdness factor. And yes I ride it like this off road. It was originally for the cheapest of cheap conversion to a cyclocross bike for a race, but I’ll be keeping it (rigid fork aside).

everyone
    Free Member

Have you ever done anything properly Oli? 😛

oliverracing

I might be doing a full carbon full suspension bike soon – I’ll jig that properly so does that count? 😉

6079smithw
    Free Member

Sacrilege and heresy

richpips
    Free Member

Raced it at Sleepless in 2006.

PS. The bike is long gone, but the bar shifters are on my sons bike now. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Drop bars on an MTB’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts