Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • Drone recovered, with a twist.
  • matt_outandabout

Watching Stirling fireworks tonight, it was interrupted by a large drone over houses and crowd.

Drone flew away, only to return a few minutes later below tree level, ‘hiding’ from crowd.

Drone clipped tree and was hung up.

Owner couldn’t get up tree.

An hour later my son goes and gets said drone. £1300 worth of some posh drone.

I’m planning on taking it to police in morning.

So, any chance OAB can keep it?

Would police be interested in flying a large drone over the public at a large event?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yup. Pretty much illegal in most situations.

angeldust
    Free Member

So the options are return to owner, or report to police in the hope of claiming something that isn’t yours?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

We don’t know where the owner is.

Someone was at bottom of tree for a while.

You could only see the lights from certain angles.

Lights were still there a couple of hours after crash, no owner.

Taking it to police = lost property.

I guess I’m hopeful owner may not go to police, as they will have to explain why it was being flown there…

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Advertise on Facebook, drone recovered etc. Probably get some kind of reward from owner.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Wait.

Owner will probably offer a reward via FB posts in a few days…

rene59
    Free Member

Stick it on gumtree, the owner can buy it back.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I’m sure a few people on here could make sure that it goes for a good price on any auction site.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Police, as lost property, otherwise it’s just theft by finding. Like you said, its unlikely the owner will want to admit to something stupid like flying it over a public fireworks display, it would do some serious injuries if it fell out of the sky after being hit!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yes. So maybe the owner should be made to admit to the law he was (probably) being a ****. It could have been a child’s face. Baby Robin, kitten whatever. Rules are there. Imagine if it hit a member of your family.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

It’s not your drone.

You may not have liked the way it was being used, but it’s still not yours.

Trying to be a bigger **** than the owner, by firing yourself up with unjustified “outrage” is just Trump politics on a personal level. I’m sure you can “self justify” til the cows come home, I can tell from the tone there’s no arguing with you.Your motives are however, reprehensibly transparent.

Police are stretched already, failing to investigate burglary, car crime ect, and you’re planning on rocking up at the station shouting about the “crime” of, er someone using a drone badly, in the hope of a windfall.

Just a shame your petty childish and vindictive grubby worldview has been inherited by junior. I mean, you were  pretty quickly working out “what it’s worth”, despite the “outrage”.  You know its not yours, but you still let your kid climb the tree to take it where someone has “left” it, regardless of the circumstances.

Theft by finding is still theft. Imagine it was someones bicycle. Just because you saw them go through a red light 20 mins later, making them a MASSIVE LAWBREAKER, doesn’t mean you can steal it if you find it unlocked.

matt_outandabout

Do I know you jujuuker68?

bsims
    Free Member

I think you have found the owner MOAB

name your price for safe return!

TheDTs
    Free Member

This is not the drone you are looking for.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Errr… He did say he was taking it to the police.

The price does have a bearing on it, if it had been a £20 polystyrene bodied thing off eBay then I imagine most people would just bin it as it wouldn’t even be worth the petrol for the owner to go there and collect it.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Move along

a11y

Stick it off to the police Matt. Drone flying around an event like that is idiotic and will be against conditions within the licence granted by the Council for the fireworks display. Illegal within 30m of a person or building too.

I know the above because some **** flew a drone at the Falkirk Callendar Park fireworks last year 5 mins before they were due to be lit. Ended up in court. Was a big push by the local Trust who organisae the display this year to raise awareness of the drone ban.

matt_outandabout

I mean, you were  pretty quickly working out “what it’s worth”,

You will find that mini_OAB is actually a drone owner and flies regularly. He knows what it’s worth without looking it up. It’s a bit less than he first thought – its a Mavic 2.

Outrage? I’m smiling.

You’re right, I’m going to try and return the thing to its owner, via the normal channels.

Yes I do hope the police may lean on someone about not flying above a large crowd.

We didn’t steal it, mini_oab (as a fellow drone pilot) thought he was being helpful, thought the pilot would still be there. He and uncle went to get it, as mini_oab is good tree climber. It’s going back in morning.

Yes, there is a wee glimmer of a lost item not being recovered, but only a glimmer.

I’m still wondering if I insulted your mum or something in the dim distant past…

angeldust
    Free Member

Do I know you jujuuker68?

He seems to think he knows you!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Trying not to make more mum jokes.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d like to vouch for Matt’s moral fibre.

He once offered me an emergency trumpet 🎺 when I was in a fix.

That is not the act of a criminal mastermind.

matt_outandabout

*parp*

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Not an emergency tromboning?

matt_outandabout

No, that would be a *paa-aaa-arrrp*

convert

Whilst flying through fireworks would be very bad and naughty, it would be brilliant fun.

CraigW
    Free Member

A DJI Mavic is a fairly small, flimsy drone. It wouldn’t cause too much damage if it crashed into something.

matt_outandabout

I was surprised by the weight of the thing.

Mini_oab’s racing drone weighs maybe a quarter of this Pro2.

I’m still not sure I want a kilogram falling on my head from a hundred metres up!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Don’t think the Police deal in lost property any more.

This is Notts but they say it’s across all forces.

https://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/lostproperty

Cougar

Yup. Pretty much illegal in most situations.

How so?

Genuine question, over the years I’ve been involved in both photography and model rocketry so know a bit about photos in public space and use of airspace.  I’m interested as to what’s different here.

phil5556

@cougar criteria might now be 150m away from a crowd of 1000+ people. Or something similar.

Drac

<h2>Where can and can’t I fly my drone in the UK right now?</h2>
    Seen some snazzy airborne footage on YouTube? Well, it might have been captured illegally as, according to UK laws regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority, consumer drones (classed as those that weigh under 20kg) must be flown no higher than 400 feet (120 metres), and be kept at least 50 metres away from people and private property, and 150 metres from congested areas and organised open-air assemblies of more than 1,000 people.

So pretty much legal in most situations.

rone

Sounds like it’s within 50m of stuff not under control of the user.

Public events are a risky area for drones without  permission usually, and certainly no over flying.

Point is the CAA rules only cover the basics, if the flight can’t be made safely it shouldn’t have.

I would take to police station.

Bad recreational flying is stuffing it up for us that do it for a living.

You could try and retrieve the flight logs which might take you to the owner with a bit of detective work?

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

So thats why they were stop start. I took footage of last years but was over 150m from the crowd (took off from the field beside birds n bees) as aware of the laws surrounding flying…..

dair86
    Free Member

As is suggested above,

Hand it into the police as lost property. Major karma points for yourself.

If memory serves me correctly, if lost property is not claimed in 6months the finder can collect the item. Seem to remember getting a watch as a young boy this way, found it in the park, handed it in, got it 6months later.

You never know the owner may seek to find and reward you for your honesty. Failing that they take it as stolen, claim their insurance, you get a new toy in 6months.

timba
    Free Member

“Don’t think the Police deal in lost property any more”

They’ll still deal with found property, and I imagine that they’ll search the found property index if you ask. What they won’t do is take a speculative report that you lost something

Take it to the police, ask to claim it if unclaimed, wait… You might be able to report it found to police by phone (or whatever) and store it until told you can claim it

SaxonRider

Whilst flying through fireworks would be very bad and naughty, it would be brilliant fun.

See, I don’t get this at all. Mind you, I never really likes kites when I was a kid either. Because you’re not really ‘flying’, are you? I mean, you’re standing on the ground with a  panel in your hand moving your thumbs around. A little bit like a PlayStation (or whatever) in fact.

i honestly don’t know; maybe I assume completely incorrectly, but I don’t get the drone thing at all, unless we’re talking about them as serious tools for different purposes, including photography.

”oh look, honey! I can move my thumbs so the drone goes where it’s not supposed to!”

”good for you, honey! All those years of training and personal risk have really paid off!”

spooky_b329

Have you pulled the sim card to have a look at the footage?

Then load it up with the regs for drone flying and perhaps details of some cases that have gone to court 🙂

DickBarton

To police and hope it isn’t claimed and then hope the controller isn’t too expensive so you can buy a replacement when the drone is handed back as unclaimed.

angeldust
    Free Member

Genuine question, over the years I’ve been involved in both photography and model rocketry

Could you get any cooler?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Hand it over to Plod, yes they are over worked so it might end up with the CAA for investigating breaking the Drone code which from the description of large crowds in a public space the owner did violate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Drone recovered, with a twist.’ is closed to new replies.