Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Drone photography, private property and the law
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

As the Principle Contractor the OP isn’t going to permit overflight by a random with a UAV they just bought from eBay or dealextreme

Pics from adjacent airspace could probably be prevented under relevant legislation if it associated with national security, civil defence etc.

I would just report to the CAA and make the client aware as they may pursue and you have the responsibility to inform of safety issues under CDM

skids
    Free Member

The photo is irrelevant, it’s more the fact of should they be flying an RC chopper over a building site

mattsccm
    Free Member

I can see the point. No one has any right to see whats in my garden unless they can prove I am committing a crime. The general public doesn’t. Not a reason to question what I might be hiding. Its mine. Sod off!
    A classic example where the law is an ass. No logical reason to allow it anymore than peering through the curtains. Doubt I’ll win that but equally is there anything to stop me mistaking a drone for a pigeon when the 12 bore is handy? 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

I can see the point. No one has any right to see whats in my garden unless they can prove I am committing a crime. The general public doesn’t. Not a reason to question what I might be hiding. Its mine. Sod off!

If I’m tall enough to see over your fence from the queens highway there’s sod all you can do about it.
    If I was your neighbour and the kids on their trampoline can see over your fence or me standing on a stepladder while pruning the begonias there’s also nothing legally you can do to stop us casting a gaze upon your garden.

bruneep

Ohhh pics please, from a professional pov

GrahamS

is there anything to stop me mistaking a drone for a pigeon when the 12 bore is handy?

I’m pretty sure Criminal Damage and Reckless Discharge of a Firearm would be of more interest to the judiciary than your supposed right to privacy in a garden that is presumably viewable from a public area.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The photo is irrelevant, it’s more the fact of should they be flying an RC chopper over a building site

Actualy it is, flying drones is legal, doing it for money (selling photos) isn’t. So it’s the photo that could get them into bother.

aracer
    Free Member

Providing you’re following the rules – you can’t just fly one wherever you like as most people seem to assume. Mikeypies up there may well know more than me, but there’s stuff about how close you’re supposed to fly to people etc.

aracer
    Free Member

To the OP, just paint this on the roof

GrahamS

Providing you’re following the rules – you can’t just fly one wherever you like as most people seem to assume.

As I understand it, you can as an amateur (within reason) because the CAA restrictions apply to commercial operations only. (But IANAL)

aracer
    Free Member

Nope. There are extra rules if you’re doing stuff commercially (you have to apply for a licence). The following applies to any flight taking pictures:

1. The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

2. The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:

a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;

c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or

d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pageid=16012

I reckon that makes 99+% of flights of drones with cameras illegal 😉

wallop

wallop » The project is a fire station.
    Ohhh pics please, from a professional pov

We haven’t built it yet! We’re still in the ground atm.

GrahamS

Yep, fair enough, but as you say those rules are ridiculously unworkable and seem very out of date.
    I could fly a mini quad with a camera in my own home and break every single rule there without endangering anything but my light fittings. There doesn’t seem to be any recognition that a little plastic quad that fits in your hand is a very different thing from a large heavy drone that can do some real damage.

The wording seems pretty wooly too. What exactly are we including in ” a structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft”? A house? A shed? A wall? A fence? Any man-made object?
    And how congested is a “congested area”? Are we talking Central London at rush hour or at the village park on a quiet Wednesday?

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect you’ll find the woolly wording means what they think it means rather than what you think it means 😉

Clearly those rules only apply in airspace, hence not inside your house. However they do clearly apply if you’re flying in any public place outdoors. The issue to some extent here is that a lot of people don’t realise quite how much damage even a relatively small thing can do given sufficient kinetic energy. It comes down to common sense to some extent – which is what I try and use when flying my planes and helicopters (no cameras, so those rules don’t apply, but I have to avoid endangering people, hence wouldn’t fly at a busy park).

IA

a lot of people don’t realise quite how much damage even a relatively small thing can do given sufficient kinetic energy.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/05/man-decapitated-by-remote-controlled-toy-helicopter/

here doesn’t seem to be any recognition that a little plastic quad that fits in your hand is a very different thing from a large heavy drone that can do some real damage.

No, there is recognition if you go and read up on the law. Rules are different under and over 7Kg, and with or without cameras. Some of the rules protect privacy, some safety.

Also, what do you consider “real damage”? Is that only death of 5 of more people? One person’s death? A child? Light maiming? Blindness? Knocked over?

village park on a quiet Wednesday?

It would depend how far you are from buildings etc, probably would count. There are guidelines etc. on the CAA site IIRC.

It’s also to some extent a risk/mitigation/insurance issue. A trained and certified operator with well maintained equipment, proper backup (separate camera operator, people to watch out for unexpected people etc) is a bit different from someone who’s built something themselves and is having a go on their own.

GrahamS

Clearly those rules only apply in airspace, hence not inside your house.

I’m pretty sure I have air inside my house. Unless…

Oh.

The issue to some extent here is that a lot of people don’t realise quite how much damage even a relatively small thing can do given sufficient kinetic energy.

I agree that’s an issue, but that doesn’t seem to be what these regulations are about since they would restrict someone flying a “harmless” tiny quad with a camera:

But anything up to 20kg(!!) is fine provided it doesn’t have a camera (or the ultra-woolly “data acquisition”).

Also I’m pretty sure that a kite, frisbee or football could do a lot more damage to people and property than my wee toy quad, but no one enforces a 50 metre exclusion zone around them!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

From my reading of it. it’s ok ish perhaps. Flying in a public area is dubious due to the lack of control over the people vehicles around you. Using it to make money is against the CAA’s guidelines specifically. Air Charter is the law which forbids the use of them for money without completing several exams and qualifications. If you give the images away for free and it was considered safe to fly I doubt there is much you could do.

Stoner
    Free Member

The was once a letter in the Malvern Gazette from one of the many local blue-rinse grumpies complaining about the paragliders looking down on to their garden whilst flying off the eastern face of the hills. It was, apparently, “akin to putting a ladder up against my fence and looking over”.

arf.

brassneck

My understanding is that most of the CAA rules only apply to commercial operations.

Correct. There is guidance but all of the ‘rules’ that there are around UAVs / USCs cover commercial applications, not much you can do about private usage yet.

(I’m sitting my BNUC-S theory next week, as I have to fly one commercially. It’s really sucked the fun out of it)

EDIT: CAP 722 is the guidance you’ll want to read. As stated above it varies between under 20Kg and under 7kg MTOM and whether or not you carry a payload.

GrahamS

No, there is recognition if you go and read up on the law. Rules are different under and over 7Kg

I doubt many amateur non-commercial hobbyists are flying drones or quads heavier than 7kg at the moment. The popular DJI Phantom 2 is 1kg for example.

But that could do “real damage”, whereas a plastic toy quad might weigh less than 100 grams and have small blades with very weak motors that can easily be stopped by hand.

Also, what do you consider “real damage”? Is that only death of 5 of more people? One person’s death? A child? Light maiming? Blindness? Knocked over?

Think of the children! 😀

My point is that a plastic toy-grade mini quad, like the Hubsan X4 in my picture, is less “damaging” than a frisbee, a kite or a football. You’d really have to try pretty hard to hurt anyone with it. You might manage a light graze if you really went for it.

But, by those regulations, it seems to be subject to the same 50 metre exclusion zone as a 7kg commercial filming drone. Bizarre.

As aracer says, they appear to outlaw 99% of camera quad flights.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Brass let us know how that goes as it’s an interesting subject. I’ve never heard of someone doing it.

STATO
    Free Member

My point is that a plastic toy-grade mini quad, like the Hubsan X4 in my picture, is less “damaging” than a frisbee, a kite or a football. You’d really have to try pretty hard to hurt anyone with it. You might manage a light graze if you really went for it.

But, by those regulations, it seems to be subject to the same 50 metre exclusion zone as a 7kg commercial filming drone. Bizarre.

As aracer says, they appear to outlaw 99% of camera quad flights.

True, but it then comes down to policing it and likelihood of prosecution. We would all probably be happy to fly a small toy one around, but the Phantom are not especially light and crashing one of them into someone through being a berk needs to have some chance to ensure appropriate response from in law.

GrahamS

We would all probably be happy to fly a small toy one around

But it would still apparently be illegal?

I don’t think it’s ever a good thing to have laws are routinely ignored and broken on the basis that they aren’t well policed.

but the Phantom are not especially light and crashing one of them into someone through being a berk needs to have some chance to ensure appropriate response from in law.

Indeed – but those 50m regulations only apply to camera-equipped drones.

So if the berk didn’t have the camera mounted on the Phantom then they wouldn’t apply and it would fall back to the (much more sensible) catch-all regulation that “operation must not endanger anyone or anything”.

All seems a bit odd. The law, as always, is a donkey.

simon_g

Shhh. Don’t tell the OP about Google Earth, he’ll have a fit.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7ebyqBn_M[/video]

brassneck

Brass let us know how that goes as it’s an interesting subject. I’ve never heard of someone doing it.

Will do. Got the handbook, which is 80% common sense, 10% GCSE Science, 10% which maps to check. But they’ve yet to tell me where the course is actually running other than ‘Exeter’ .. I hear it’s quite a big place 🙂
    It’s also mightily expensive, but negligible to a corporate vs. operating without ticking as many compliance boxes as possible.

BTW, it’s Phantom2 with ZenMuse gimbal and Go Pro4 Black Hero Edition payload. The results are pretty spectacular really. Have a live video feed with telemetry too, not the ‘full immersion’ goggles as I need to talk & share with colleagues. At around 1.3Kg laden, a 7Kg item must be a beast.

IA

At around 1.3Kg laden, a 7Kg item must be a beast.

Serious kit will carry 7kg+ as payload… 😉

Check out Aerocine for some nice rigs, dual 5K RED cameras for 3D anyone?

not the ‘full immersion’ goggles

Also, you can’t legally fly FPV at all IIRC. You can use it, but not the pilot.

aracer
    Free Member

Not the primary pilot. It’s OK as long as you’re on a buddy box with somebody who has normal visual contact and can take over from you.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Around the 1 kilo is what I’ve got flying right now. I would not want to be below it if it fell. The full immersion goggles. You could argue stop the line of sight rules the caa require for vfr flying.
    Keep us posted as its a subject with lots of questions and few definitive answers.

castanea
    Free Member

The issue I have is with thefts and drones being used for surveilance. Have seen some of the gypo camps with drones buzzing around. I don’t want them flying about my secured yard planning how best to steal my stuff. It is built to be shielded from public sight and with an open sided shed which without a drone can’t be seen without going right through the yard.
    I don’t like it. If I see one over my property then I’ll shoot it down.

GrahamS

If I see one over my property then I’ll shoot it down.

So, as per the previous poster, you will commit Criminal Damage and possibly Reckless Discharge of a Firearm because you are worried someone might possibly be planning to break the law? 😯

crazy-legs

There was a good article in The Times today about it, listed the various laws that could apply.

It concluded by saying that the laws on drone flights would increase exponentially, they reckoned Amazon had sold 20,000 of them this year alone.

GrahamS

It concluded by saying that the laws on drone flights would increase exponentially

If that’s true we could approach an infinite number of laws within a decade 😉

Should keep the lawyers busy.

scotroutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32626718

A man alleged to have illegally flown a camera drone over packed football stadiums and London tourist attractions has appeared in court.
    Nigel Wilson, 42, from Bingham, near Nottingham, appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court accused of 17 breaches of the Air Navigation Order.
    It is the first prosecution of its kind in England to follow a police-led investigation.

andytherocketeer

wouldn’t shoot one down, most all of the cheaper ready to fly models are very very easy to hack the wireless on and do a denial of service on the operator. and 9/10 its failure mode would be to return to ground and deactivate itself.

the “proper” multi rotor kits are somewhat more well designed, and don’t use unsecured wifi as the communication protocol.

have seen an unintentional denial of service on the 5.8GHz used for the FPV goggles though when flying the “proper” models.

GrahamS

…flown a camera drone over packed football stadiums…

Funny how quick the law is to act when the revenue streams of large media corporations are threatened.

I heard the US Superbowl had large “No Fly Zone” imposed around it for similar reasons.

Edit: yep here we go a 10 mile no fly zone around the Super Bowl. Y’know for safety. And terrorists.

murf
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with a shotgun, a well aimed garden hose would have most of the cheaper ones plummeting groundwards!

I’ve been learning to quad fly for about 5 months, it’s great fun and very addictive. A healthy dose of common sense is required and should mean no laws are broken.
    Unlike my fingernail which is only just starting to grow back, they are definately not toy!

GrahamS

they are definately not toy!

Apart from the ones that definitely are.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Drone photography, private property and the law’ is closed to new replies.