Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Drone Curious – Lidl £99
  • Premier Icon redthunder
    Free Member

Whats the STW drone experts view on this ?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/christmas-tech/xl-gps-drone/p27454

Pondering a drone for pix of the garden/house and some getting some arty source material from the coast etc.

Looks fun, but dont what to spend a fortune.

Thoughts :-).

Premier Icon winston
    Free Member

Don’t forget to register it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50293106

Premier Icon redthunder
    Free Member

What a load of faff 🙁

I dont think I’m that worried.

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

And there you have the classic example of someone who shouldn’t be allowed to fly a drone.

Premier Icon cloudnine

Only 100m range.. useless for flying over airports

Premier Icon HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Check out amazon warehouse deals, 20% off at the moment. Keep your expectations low, these sort of drones are just toys. Small range, low power, WiFi link for cam

Premier Icon Davesport

For £99 not sure what you’re expecting? For that money I’d buy a DJI Tello. If this is your first drone I wouldn’t be to bothered about GPS as you’ll not be flying it far anyway. DJI products are solid and you’ll be able to get spare parts easily. Registration only a requirement for drones over 250g

Premier Icon CraigW
    Free Member

The camera will probably be rubbish, don’t expect any decent photos from it.

If you want a cheap toy, just buy something like a Syma or Hubsan for £30. Most of the smaller ones are less than 250g.

Premier Icon chrisdw
    Free Member

https://www.nats.aero/apps/hobbyist/

Should be informative.

Premier Icon concept2
    Free Member

Worth a look..
    https://bmfa.org/Info/Know-the-Law

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve stopped buying any Aldi/Lidl special buys. The only thing that is special about them is that they are good for a matter of weeks and then something always fails or doesn’t work quite right

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

Pondering the purchase of one of the new Mavic Minis, but, realistically, there’s nowhere nearby that you’re allowed to fly them 🙁

Premier Icon v8ninety

I’ve stopped buying any Aldi/Lidl special buys. The only thing that is special about them is that they are good for a matter of weeks and then something always fails or doesn’t work quite right

And then you take them back for a no quibble refund? Although I must say you are buying different stuff from me then. Loads of Aldi and Lidl stuff in our house, kitchen, clothing, living room and workshop and I’ve never had to take anything back as far as I can remember.

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

Pondering a drone for pix of the garden/house

I thought you weren’t allowed to fly a drone near buildings? Or is that just guff?

Premier Icon CraigW
    Free Member

Not allowed to fly within 50m of buildings, or vehicles or other people. But if it’s your own house or vehicle, it is allowed. Can get pretty good photos from 50m away or 50m above a building anyway.

Also not allowed to fly over or within 150m of a built up area. So probably not allowed if you live in a town or city.
    Or within about 5km of an airport, unless you have permission.

Drone code here has most of the rules. https://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

Premier Icon takisawa2

So if I live 2 miles from an airport I can’t fly a drone up & down my garden ? 😂

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

So if I live 2 miles from an airport I can’t fly a drone up & down my garden ? 😂

Nope. Especially if your garden is less than 50m from the neighbours house.

Premier Icon flyingmonkeycorps

That will almost certainly be absolute bobbins, unless cheap drones have got a lot better in the last two years (and I very much doubt they have). 30 quid toy drones are great fun, any more than that and you may as well skip straight to a Mavic Mini (Tello is probably fun, but I doubt much use for video and photos).

Plus the Mavic Mini only weighs 249g so you don’t have to register it. I probably would anyway though. I’m very tempted by one tbh.

Premier Icon darthpunk
    Free Member

Premier Icon alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

IMO the cheap ones are terrible and a constant battle to fly, tried a few and went for the DJI Phantom 3 (a year or so ago),

So easy to fly and at first I really enjoyed using it, but it became a pain with fewer and fewer place to fly/film.

Bought range extenders for the remote & loads of battery’s, used it a lot but sold after a few incidents.

Had a fly away at a beach in Scotland, was attempting to film a we island, over water away from people, over 500m away an 200m up got a low battery warning despite starting fully charged.The numbers kept going up so flicked the return to home switch the screen went blank. Loads of dogs and walkers about and I had no idea where it was until I briefly heard it. Was really nervous and glad I hadn’t registered or put my phone number on the drone (joking). After a while we tried looking along the coast for and felled walkers and dead dogs. Someone asking I was looking for a drone as I had the remote with extra big antenna.

He said it had just made a perfect landing on the path through the grass.

And another time it was downed by a yob throwing things at it 🙂

Top tip – Never put your phone nu

Premier Icon HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think something like this might be more fun…

Just race it around your own house! No problems with registering it or narking anyone off etc
    https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-E013-Micro-FPV-RC-Drone-Quadcopter-With-5_8G-1000TVL-40CH-Camera-VR006-VR-006-3-Inch-Goggles-p-1182628.html?ID=513344531097&cur_warehouse=USA

Premier Icon downshep

Quite fancy the Mavic Mini for bikepacking / hillwalking but the flymore combo package appears to have turned into rocking horse poo. Any more coming to the UK?

Premier Icon mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

But if it’s your own house or vehicle, it is allowed

Other consenting adults and their property also allowed within 50m.

Premier Icon rone

Not allowed to fly within 50m of buildings, or vehicles or other people.

Not technically – you have to have those thing ‘under your control’. – and then you can.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.