Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Driving While Banned. Not me.
  • jonahtonto
    Free Member

i would continue trying different tacks until he did

loum
    Free Member

jt+1

edit:
    Don’t shop your own brother.
    Either sort the problem yourself, or don’t.

poly
    Free Member

If the age difference ain’t too big, and he looks near enough, then how about making sure he’s memorised your address and lending him your license?
    Should keep him out of nick, which sounds like the first problem solved. And with you having helped sort that, he’s more likely to respect what you say and sort his life out .

that’s not a serious suggestion is it?

Perverting the course of justice is almost guaranteed for both of you to go to jail. You might not get caught… but people do get caught…

Even then why would you let someone who you think is a really bad driver use your license and run up points in your name…

nonk
    Free Member

unless you have money or power/influence on your behalf you will get screwed over every time without fail as they have one purpose in society and that is to convict without compassion or true justice

just complete and utter bollox

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jonah tonto – Member

POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    loum – Member
    jt+1

edit:

Make sure that when you offer a character witness statement you say you tried very hard to stop him….

If you ask him and he doesn’t care then

A friendly chat with a local officer might (?) get a stiff warning rather than waiting for him to commit an offence and catch him in action.

This is not shopping your brother this is making him realise what he is doing and the consequences. I’m sure most police would rather they met him before they caught him and prevented anything worse form happening (less paperwork and all that)
    Driving without a license is just ticking down the hours till he gets caught.

zokes
    Free Member

i honestly cant believe anyone would be so low to shop their own brother in to the police. i honestly cant believe people could be that low. i would walk out in front of a bus for either of my brothers without a second thought. you should all be ashamed of your selves

And in the mean time, what if he’s involved in an accident? For those of you who clearly can’t see past the end of your own nose, forget for a second anyone else’s lives which may be ruined by the accident your brother has caused, and just focus on his:

1) The accident wouldn’t have happened if he had been obeying the ban
    2) That being the case, he wouldn’t have been hurt
    3) He won’t be insured
    4) Look at a judge throwing the book at him for the accident – which would be a lot worse than getting the police to remind him of the law before he has an accident

somafunk

just complete and utter bollox

Not in my opinion but as this is an internet forum and as i have no interest in what others think i’ll take myself off to bed

jonahtonto
    Free Member

ok zokes, how about if tack number one (after making sure he is actually banned since this is all wild conjecturer based on half a conversation on twatter) is taking his keys off him? no hypothetical person has been maimed and your brother doesn’t have a criminal record or as some are suggesting a history of prison with him for the rest of his life?
    the boy is 20, he needs guidance not to be stuffed every time he tries for a job.
    this world is hard enough without your own brother turning on you

zokes
    Free Member

Not in my opinion but as this is an internet forum and as i have no interest in what others think i’ll take myself off to bed

If you have no interest in what others think, why do you use a discussion forum ❓

aracer
    Free Member

What tacks for car tyres?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

same reason as most of us probably. a mix of boredom and insomnia 😉

aracer – chapeau sir 😆

zokes
    Free Member

same reason as most of us probably. a mix of boredom and insomnia

Oh, I come here for intelligent discussion and entertainment, quite often with success. I suggest you try harder.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

you forgot humour

konabunny
    Free Member

I dunno bout you but i tend to keep family problems within the “family” so to speak

Maybe the brother can promise to only drive dangerously when it’s just family around, then.

Joe

You lot are such a complete bunch of tossers. The more i read here, the more I realize what a bunch of curtain twitching, hand wringing saddos you all are.

Shop your own brother to the cops for driving while on a ban? I wouldn’t even do it to a friend.

Have a quiet word if it concerns you…because it seems to. But other than that, it’s his life. Let him get on with it.

Joe

…Also love the way you ask here if you should shop your own brother to the police…before you even know if hes been banned. Hang your head in shame.

Maybe I’d understand if you knew he was banned for drink-driving or causing death by dangerous…but he’s 20 and has totted up 6 points?

Christ. Glad you aren’t in my family.

zokes
    Free Member

But other than that, it’s his life. Let him get on with it and potentially ruin someone else’s.

FTFY

but he’s 20 and has totted up 6 points so has already been deemed a danger to others on the road

FITYA

Y’see – family issues are fine to be dealt with by the family whilst they stay within the family. Unfortunately for your little utopia, the public roads, and ton of metal the OP’s brother may be illegally driving around aren’t just a family matter, they affect the general public.

He could have been banned for receiving favours from his girlfriend whilst driving for all I care, but the fact he’s been banned means that there is enough evidence to brand him an undue danger to the public when behind the wheel. Driving is not a right, it’s carried under license – something that the OP’s brother may no longer have, and probably for good reason.

hora
    Free Member

Talk to him. Explain sods law and a criminal record that lasts 5yrs. Hes not a child. If he ignores you ignore him.

imnotverygood

Ronnie & Reggie would feel at home on this thread

globalti
    Free Member

There may be almost no Police cars on patrol nowadays but it’s only a matter of time before he gets spotted by a car equipped with ANPR and stopped, assuming the car is registered to him.

spooky_b329

If he isn’t actually banned, the police will find this out before (or when) they go knocking on his door, and then nothing will come of it.

For those that ‘wouldn’t shop their own brother’, where do you draw the line?

Stealing a purse?
    Fraudulent use of a credit card?
    GBH?
    Drug dealing?
    Or worse, would you protect him against a murder charge?!

For a ‘one off’ you may ignore the lesser offences, but continued stealing of peoples wallets? How about continued driving without a license?!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replays guys, even the ones calling me a bad person.

The first thing I need to do is somehow find out for sure if he is banned. If he is a bollocking is in order and the removal of his keys. If I can’t find out about the ban I have a couple of ‘friends’ on facebook that were and I think still are coppers I might be able to ask them to look into it and pay him a visit to scare him.

crazy-legs

To all those saying “how could you shop your own brother?”…

Suppose said brother knocks you off you or your child off a bike and kills you/them? In the subsequent investigation, it turns out that the whole family knew that brother was banned from driving but continued to let him?
    How do you think your family would feel?

If he has actually been banned (and the OP should make absolutely certain he has befroe doing anything), it’s because he was driving like a ****. There are far too may **** on the road, getting one off it is good for everyone, I’d have thought that a cycling forum might just recognise this fact? From the OP, he’s aleady said talking to his brother won’t work – next step is to arrange a warning visit from the police…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

To all those saying “how could you shop your own brother?”…

Suppose said brother knocks you off you or your child off a bike and kills you/them? In the subsequent investigation, it turns out that the whole family knew that brother was banned from driving but continued to let him?
    How do you think your family would feel?

Because if it turns out that he has been banned he is more likely to knock a child off a bike and kill them? Lets hope he’s got away with it and hasn’t been banned, which presumably will mean that he is driving around very safely and won’t kill a child on a bike.

BTW well done for bringing in both a child and a cyclist into the argument, although I think there is probably more scope for suggesting the horrific consequences of not immediately contacting the police. What if…….knowing that he will be acting illegal and determined that the police should never arrest him, he arms himself with several assault rifles and ends up going on a killing spree which results in the greatest mass murder in UK history, and that’s on top of killing a child on a bike, how would all those who now saying “how could you shop your own brother?” then feel, eh ? …….knowing that they had helped commit such a horrific crime. They don’t think of stuff like that do they ? 😐

zokes
    Free Member

That’s quite an impressive paragraph of bollocks, even for you Ernie.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thanks zokes, I was worried that it might not match the previously posted bollocks, so you can imagine how much I appreciate your kind words 8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ernie applause from over here too, there was a few high standard ones above to live up to 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Maybe I’d understand if you knew he was banned for drink-driving or causing death by dangerous…but he’s 20 and has totted up 6 points?

How about just shopping him for being a dickhead then? Stupid enough to lose your licence through totting up? Dick. Stupid enough to just get your licence taken off you in one hit? Also a dick.

Apparently I’m feeling very eloquent on this Sunday morning!

poly
    Free Member

and therefore in one of the highest risk “groups” for killing himself or others. Ignoring the risk to others – can you imagine going to your parents to tell them your brother has been killed in a crash and YOU knew he was driving illegally.

New drivers loose their license at 6 points for a reason – because if you manage to tot up 6 points in two years you are either incredibly unlucky or incredibly stupid and the roads are safer without unlucky / stupid people on them.

teethgrinder

I’d be surprised if the police just gave him a talking to if he is banned. Driving with a suspended licence is an absolute offence. Like speeding, having an unregistered firearm etc. There is only guilty.

zokes
    Free Member

The thread needs some South Australian road safety campaigns….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

teethgrinder – Member
    I’d be surprised if the police just gave him a talking to if he is banned. Driving with a suspended licence is an absolute offence. Like speeding, having an unregistered firearm etc. There is only guilty.

Yep if caught, hence the re-ed before he gets caught.

Seen these ones Zokes

zokes
    Free Member

And this one:

zokes
    Free Member

On a lighter note:

matt_outandabout

For my brothers own protection, I would speak to him, I would ask for proof he is OK to drive, I would probably shop him.
    I say this as I helped stop my grandpa from driving when he became a liability – the family ended up ganging up on him for his (and the people he could have hit’s) safety.
    I also know of someone I grew up with who was hit by a suspended driver, and the insurance company then disowned the driver. Cue a chap in a wheelchair for his whole life with no compensation.
    Sorry, but if my brother is being a c*ck, I would not stand by him and assist him down that road (literally).

zokes
    Free Member

Or more fitting for both the thread, and the forum:

teethgrinder

The helmet the Helmet is wearing will offer no protection… 🙄

patriotpro
    Free Member

If he is banned, unless they (police) catch him driving the most they can do is give him a lecture. Unless they’ve gone minority report all of a sudden.

Sum
    Free Member

I also know of someone I grew up with who was hit by a suspended driver, and the insurance company then disowned the driver. Cue a chap in a wheelchair for his whole life with no compensation.

I don’t think that could happen anymore. Hasn’t the rules been changed so that the insurance company still has to pay out to the third party but now the insurance company would claim it back from their insured driver if he has done something that would normally invalidate the insurance.

andyrm
    Free Member

First step – establish the facts. This entire thread is based on social media hearsay.

IF he is banned, man up and be a proper big brother. Tell him you are taking his car keys and keep them at yours. Explain to him that this is a better option than turning him in. Secondly, make time for him. Try and wean him away from the bad crowd he’s falling in with, by providing an alternative. Don’t lecture him, it will have the opposite effect.

And lastly, remember this is your little brother. Be a big brother to him. Do right by him, not the easy ‘shop him and wash your hands’ that some on here prescribe.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Driving While Banned. Not me.’ is closed to new replies.