• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Driving to Switzerland
  • mrmo
    Free Member

In past years I have always driven down and left the peage around Dijon to go cross country through the Jura before dropping down to Lausanne.

For a bit of variety I am wondering if I continue along the peage and then enter Switzerland via the A40 and Geneva what the view is like, what are the border crossings like etc. Google suggests time wise not much in it.

welshfarmer

Border crossings in Geneva are fine, very quick as they are so busy no-one actually stops you. Just make sure you have a Vignette in advance. Personally I prefer to take my time and drive down via Belgium, Luxembourg, Nancy and down the west of the Vosges Mountains to Besanson before cresting the Jura into Geneva. The view of the Alps from the top just before you drop to the lake is fantastic.

nickjb
    Free Member

I love that A40 route. Miles of pretty dull peage then you pop through a tunnel and suddenly you are in the mountains on a winding road in great scenery. For us it’s a sign we are very nearly there. Not sure it is any better than the Jura route but it is nice (as motorways go). And you get to see the giant cock at bourg en bresse

tonyg2003

Done both but always prefer the Jura’s route. Although for me it’s as much enjoying the drive as much as getting there quickly.

Freester

It’s slightly longer timewise and less scenic IMHO. That first half of the motorway around the north of Lac Leman from Geneva to Lausanne is quite flat. The spectacular views of the Alps etc start when you join at Lausanne. And the Jura is much more scenic. Somewhere on the french side I remember a cheese vending maching outside of a deli. Why would you want to avoid that?! 🙂

beanum

Be aware that there are speed cameras on the autoroute from Geneva to Lausanne. They only monitor one carriageway at a time but most of them are pointed towards the Geneve -> Lausanne route. There are a couple at Coppet and Nyon but after Gland they’re every 5km…

mrmo
    Free Member

Sounds like sticking to the Jura offers a better trip.

Wonder if i can find where i found the gorge when i got lost?

scruff
    Free Member

I love that bit through Poligny and up.

mrmo
    Free Member

Poligny, bit of a sore point, did you know that lift passes trigger the door way store security alarms?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Driving to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.