Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Driving to les Arcs tolls cost?
  • boxxer7
    Free Member

Looking at driving down to les arcs this summer, I’ve searched around for a rough idea how much the tolls are likely to cost but the threads I’ve found are a couple of years old. Any done it recently?

snaps
    Free Member

€164 return from the tunnel exit to Seez in July last year on my CC via Reims/Dijon

rewski
    Free Member

I think we paid about £100 each way to la plagne next door. No transaction fees if you use post office credit card.

nickjb
    Free Member

Plan a route on Via Michelin and it’ll give you the tolls

poonprice
    Free Member

We did it this July to Seez which is just out of Bourg-Saint-Maurice, toll costs were…

Out
    €32.20
    €41
    €11
    €5.20

Return
    €5.20
    €11
    €41
    €21.70

Definitely recommend driving, yes its a long day but you can take so much stuff with you like tools and spares etc.. If there are a few of you sharing the cost it works out similar to flying anyway with tolls, fuel and tunnel.

I always think you pretty much waste a whole day when flying anyway with travel to airport, wait at airport, flight and transfer the other end. We usually get an early train around 5am and get to resort for around 5pm.

boxxer7
    Free Member

There is likely to be 2 of us possibly 3 people, just trying to work out if it will be cheaper than flying if it is just the two of us. Didn’t realise the Michelin route planner did that thanks guys.

atlaz
    Free Member

You can avoid all tolls by going via Luxembourg, but it’ll add two hours to the drive. However you’ll also get cheap petrol/diesel here (diesel currently 1.18 euros a litre).

campfreddie
    Free Member

Atlaz

Sounds like a no brainer to me. Should save about 150 euros for the sake of 2hrs extra driving (taking into account added fuel). Do you have a more precise route as I’m thinking of heading down later this summer.

Cheers

mtbmatt
    Free Member

You can avoid all tolls by going via Luxembourg, but it’ll add two hours to the drive. However you’ll also get cheap petrol/diesel here (diesel currently 1.18 euros a litre).

I did that last time, but won’t bother in future. Yes, diesel is a bit cheaper. But French supermarket prices were ~€1.30 vs €1.22 in Luxembourg, so you won’t save a huge amount.
    The roads in Belgium are busier, less direct and more stop/start so I don’t think there is much in it overall.

I would stick to the toll roads, but fill up in supermarkets and not the service stations.

Leave with enough fuel to get to France. Big full up in Calais which should take you all/most of the way there if you have a good fuel tank.

br
    Free Member

When we when in 2006 the tolls worked out about the same price as the fuel – although petrol auto and sub 25mpg.

atlaz
    Free Member

I did that last time, but won’t bother in future. Yes, diesel is a bit cheaper. But French supermarket prices were ~€1.30 vs €1.22 in Luxembourg, so you won’t save a huge amount.
    The roads in Belgium are busier, less direct and more stop/start so I don’t think there is much in it overall.

The big roadworks between Charleroi and Namur (nearly an hour of 50kmph roadworks… zzzzzz) are done now (going via Brussels is awful) so it’d be easier but yeah, it’s not as quick. 10e saving on the diesel and 80e or so for tolls each way might be worth it for people looking to save a bit.

wasdale32
    Free Member

boxxer7

just got back from a ski trip to Les Arcs …

It really depends on exactly which way you go and what you’re driving – The obvious way on the map is Calais, Reims, Dijon, Lyon, Chambery, Albertville, Bourg St Maurice which is also he most expensive – use Mappy.fr to plot the route and it gives tolls and camera warnings – however we noticed several toll plazas displaying notices about changes to tolls.

Mappy reckons about €79 each way – the largest toll is over €40.

If you’re prepared to get off the autoroute and go cross country (below Dijon) you can save quite a bit – fuel in the supermarkets (Diesel) was around €1.30/L on the autoroute its nearer €1.43 – €1.45

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d also consider getting a pass for the motorways. Mine costs me about 15 quid a year (plus the cost of the tolls) but I’ve saved hours of queuing in the last 12 months as you can drive through the 30kmph booth which means no stopping.

takisawa2

Atlaz, how do you pay the tolls…direct debit or something…

milky1980
    Free Member

Toll Tag

Used one two years ago, brilliant things. Be using one again this year as I’m driving down to Chatel by myself so makes things far easier. Don’t even get the bill until you come back which is a bonus!

atlaz
    Free Member

That’s the job. Means you only have to stop the car for fuel (you or car), comfort breaks or traffic jams. Particularly in summer, you can queue for ages to get through some of the major tolls, I spent 30 mins on one near Paris last year.

Last year I avoided the tolls and drove down the Rhine and went through Switzerland as I had most of a day to kill but it took a lot longer. This year I’m going to get down as quickly as possible and sneak an extra afternoon of riding in.

joolsburger
    Free Member

We go overnight to Vallandry and figure on £400 all in including fuel, Le Shuttle and tolls (desiel MPV 4 up). As has been said the best thing is you can travel heavy and get a full extra day on the slopes or trails.

boblo
    Free Member

Get the toll tag via the chunnel site and it’s cheaper to setup than directly with SANEF. Much more convenient than queuing with the proletariat 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Bit of a hijack but has anyone used the train to Bourg saint Maurice out of ski season?

wallop

Haven’t used the train, but there is a regular service. If you are thinking of taking a bike, I think the downside is trekking across Paris between stations with a bike box when changing trains.

boblo
    Free Member

I have a chum in BsM who I’ll be meeting for road biking in August. Train seems the way to go.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Driving to les Arcs tolls cost?’ is closed to new replies.