Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Driving times: Your thoughts/opinions appreciated
  • SaxonRider

I have a ferry across the Channel to catch tomorrow (Easter Monday) at 2:00 p.m., and I live in Cardiff.

What time do you think I should leave. Last time I made the same trek, I left my street at about 7:30 and made it with plenty of time, but I forgot when I made this booking that it would be a holiday.

Are the M4 and the M25 going to be packed? Or will people already have made their journeys on the Friday?

Seriously, any thoughts? Would you be leaving at 6:00 in order to time it well? Or do you think 7:00 will be fine?

BadlyWiredDog

I’d check out the Google maps directions tool and then add a little margin for error. Or drive down tonight and overnight somewhere near the port if you want to take the pressure off.

SaxonRider

Or drive down tonight and overnight somewhere near the port if you want to take the pressure off.

Unfortunately, this is definitely not an option. I can, however, leave very early if I need to…

martinhutch

By my reckoning, the M25 will be better than normal except around the big shopping centres. As long as you get past Bristol before 8.30 – 9, you should beat the majority of people coming up from Devon/Cornwall.

stigofthedump1
    Free Member

A friend left Dover on Saturday at 8am and arrived in Cheltenham at 3pm, He said it was the worst traffic on that journey he’d seen for a long time. May not be as bad tomorrow as people with kids may have taken a week of work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d say the roads will be fairly quiet tomorrow morning, certainly quieter than if it was a working Monday…if you’re leaving in the morning, you should be well on the Mwhatever it is to Folkstone before the post-weekend traffic starts clogging up the M4 eastbound.

Caher

Smart phone then Waze/Google maps traffic. I’d leave 7.30 though as you know you that gets you there on time.

taxi25
    Free Member

7.30am it’s only a 4hr drive in normal conditions,you should have plenty of time.

ji
    Free Member

You can set your desired arrival time and date on Google Maps to give you a decent estimate

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Looking at the forecast I would stay there because the ports will be closed anyway! 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

Weather could be a big factor, wet windy and wild. Allow extra time as it may not be wise to do 70

cloudnine
    Free Member

Will be an interesting crossing..

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP if there is a massive queue of lorries remember to drive around them, no need to queue. They’ve been building a new check in much closer to motorway exit not sure if its open yet

SaxonRider

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I’m off early, so will post later in the week with some random thoughts that are well past their sell-by date, I’m sure.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Which ferry port? I don’t know if it was just because it was Good Friday but as we arrived in Dover at 3pm there was a stand still queue coming into Dover that was at least 10km long! 😯

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Dover is VERY busy and the high winds will only make it worse… I doubt anyone will be sailing before lunchtime…

shermer75
    Free Member

The M48 Severn crossing and dartford crossings (M25) are closed due to the high wind. M4 Severn crossing is still open

SaxonRider

Just to let you all know: I got here in fewer than four hours, and the ferries have just started running again. Perfect timing! 8)

Drac

But now you’ve realised your booking was for 5 years ago?

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂 safe onward travels or “bon continuation”

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Driving times: Your thoughts/opinions appreciated’ is closed to new replies.