Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Driving through England at night.
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

Will be driving through England in the summer to get to Dover most likely through the night.
    Will come down the M74 on to the M6. Then from Penrith is it quicker/ better to carry on down the M6 to Birmingham to then join the M1 down to London. Or is it better to take the A66 from Penrith to join the A1 and head to London from there?
    Google maps suggests there is not much in it and I reckon the M6 option is probably better.
    Any advice appreciated.

kimbers

worth checking ahead for any night time closures on either route?

chakaping
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch the M5 to get to Dover, was that a typo?

cultsdave
    Free Member

Yeah that is a typo. Will edit post. cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A1 is crap but check for M6 roadworks as they can scupper you. Also nighttime roadworks are liable to send you off route at a very low speed.

Some usual advice is along the lines that driving through the night can be more dangerous and you run the risk of falling asleep at the wheel much more. Lots of hotels near the ferry/tunnel if you can leave earlier.

legend
    Free Member

A66 and A1(M) every time for me. Going down the M6 always seems to end up crap somewhere on the journey

pondo

Think I’d M6 – M42 south – M40. But then I don’t know what those A roads oop north are like – if you can bez along happy enough at 70, it’d be worth it to cut 20 miles off the journey.

Edit – if you DO M6 it, I’d give the toll a swerve. But be advised – heading south you have to get OFF the motorway to avoid it, it’s sneaky like that.

jsync

A66 definately.

razorrazoo

You say driving at night, what time exactly as this will have a difference in terms of traffic volumes.

munrobiker
    Free Member

A1 for me too, but as above check for night closures as the English always seem to be fannying about with some part of the motorway network.

cultsdave
    Free Member

We will probably be leaving Aberdeen early evening. So we would hit Penrith sometime after 8 or 9pm if thats any help?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but as above check for night closures as the English always seem to be fannying about with some part of the motorway network.

Well as we have more than 2 it does take a bit more looking after than the couple of hundred miles over the border (unless you want half the motorways too)

nealglover
    Free Member

A1 is crap

if you go all the way to the M25 on it yes.

Going to Dover though Would be : A66 – A1 – A14 – M11 – M25 – M20

Best way I reckon, and Nothing wrong with that part of the A1 at all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A14 Full of average speed cameras along with the M11 not saying speeding is right but when it’s empty it’s nice to be able to make a bit of progress.

Google puts 6mins in it between A66/A1/A14 etc and M6/M40 South M25

soobalias
    Free Member

no idea what you northern monkeys are wobbling on about, but the M25 anti clockwise is preferable ime.

chakaping
    Free Member

the M25 anti clockwise is preferable ime.

For getting to Kent?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d just pick whatever Google says is the quickest drive, closures notwithstanding.

My money’s on M6/M1/M25/M2/A2.

bigG
    Free Member

Last summer on my way to Folkestone I did M74, M6, M6 Toll, M1, M25 then M20. I left home at 7pm expecting to arrive in Folkestone at 0430 / 0500 depending on traffic. Instead I arrived at 0210 and slept in the car until the first tunnel crossing in the morning.

Distance is just under 500 miles so I was quite happy.

I’d avoid the A66 at night as it can be rammed with trucks, they are about to start construction work on the A1 just south of Scotch Corner. If those works are any like the ones further south were then it’ll be bedlam and well worth avoiding.

M74, M6, M6 toll (it’s well worth paying for) is the way to go.

kimbers

M6 toll (it’s well worth paying for)

though not in the middle of the night, infact in the day I dont really see much benefit tbh

thegreatape
    Free Member

We regularly drive from the Highlands to Essex, almost always overnight. Never had any issues with M74/M6/M1/M25 (and then the A12 for us).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if it makes a difference for you scotts, M40 and south round the M25 will save you a quid on the bridge

timmys

You’ve got lots of info above but for future reference the route TomTom route planer here;

http://routes.tomtom.com/

is a lot better than using Google maps as it allows you to plan your route for a specific time and day and it will use the appropriate average road speed data for that time/date when calculating a route.

crikey
    Free Member

We used to drive from Manchester to Dover a number of times a year and the top tips include thinking about where the potential delays might be. I always looked at when we would be on the M25 and aimed to be there during quiet times. Even Dover to Manchester is usually a 6 hour slog, and getting stuck in heavy traffic for 30-60 minutes is a pain. Limit the number of stops, synchronise bladders, and keep on keeping on. I’ve done a 14 hour drive back from Maastricht with two under threes and a preggers wife, never again….

senorj

I (very) regularly drive m6 Penrith to that there London via M1. Usually depart @1900 hours getting home at 12.30/0100.Just listen to the traffic reports for road closures and you’ll be right.Plenty of options to divert east if there are problems. 9 times out of 10 it’s super quiet.

martinhutch

M6/M5/M40/M25/M2

A1 is faster than it used to be, but still not fast enough.

gogg
    Free Member

It’s like comedy….

it’s all about……

the timing.

plumber
    Free Member

M1 from Leeds if overnight otherwise A1 from Castleford

butcher

I once took the M1 back from the London and got stuck there all night with a hangover, due to closures. Should’ve been home about 10pm. Rolled in around 7.30am. Mate was supposed to be at work for 9!

So yes, check for disruptions, it’s a nightmare to get off once you’re on it.

ninfan
    Free Member

TBH, I’d probably be inclined to go M6/M42/M40/anti clockwise M25

reason being the sheer number of average speed camera sections on the lower half of the M1 or A1 – its a complete pain in the arse driving along at 50mph on a clear motorway late at night

br
    Free Member

For you, I’d head M74, M6 (toll if at all busy), M1, M25 clockwise, M2, A2.

Although going across the A66 is an option, and then A14/M11.

As others have said, timing is key.

edward2000
    Free Member

I’d avoid the m6 m1 interchange due to the roadworks, although at night might not be an issue. A1A14 M11 is a good route.

Sandwich

A14 Full of average speed cameras along with the M11 not saying speeding is right but when it’s empty it’s nice to be able to make a bit of progress.

Well the bit between the Huntingdon and the M11 has them otherwise theres a Gatso at Kettering and one on the approach to Molesworth. So yes it’s full of speed cameras!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Sort-of related, but when I’m coming back up the way, I find this place to serve good, relatively cheap food, big portions and good surroundings:

http://www.westmorland.com/j38-2

timmys

Sort-of related, but when I’m coming back up the way, I find this place to serve good, relatively cheap food, big portions and good surroundings:

http://www.westmorland.com/j38-2

I’m sure in the past there’s been an article in Singletrack about riding routes starting from the Tebay services car park.

dragon
    Free Member

I’d go M74, M6, M42, M40, M25 etc. I’ve done this route from Aberdeen to London and only dodgy bit is Manchester to Birmingham, and at night it should be OK. Going the A66 A1 route is sh*te IMO, hard work and slow even on a good run. Long night trips are all about making it as easy a drive as possible mentally and keeping your average speed up, so good motorways are your friend.

somouk
    Free Member

Check in advance as we have roadworks on the M6 at the moment as they’re working on the gantries for the managed motorways.

There are diversions in place or alternatively take the Toll which bypasses the road works.

My route would be M74 – M6 – M42 – M40 – M25 and onwards at night.

hammyuk
    Free Member

As somouk – I’ve done this a couple of times this year so far.
    Won’t touch the M1 at all – no point.
    Plus better services, more options, etc and easier to change route should you need to.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Driving through England at night.’ is closed to new replies.