Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Driving theory test
  • wukfit
    Free Member

I have just booked my theory test for next week, and haven’t read a single book on the highway code
    did a quick practice test and passed (just), but a lot of questions seemed to be first aid related, fuel efficiency and other things like that, nothing on stopping distances etc.
    so where’s best to start reading up on stuff (online pref)?
    cheers

bails

The highway code on the direct.gov website.

WH Smiths and Halfords always have theory test prep books/CDs.

mrmo
    Free Member

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/highway-code

Start with reading this and might I suggest making sure you know it, there are enough idiots on the road who don’t have a clue about signs as it is.

There are DVLA books you can buy from smiths/waterstones/amazon that cover the rest of the stuff.

GrahamS

Highly recommend getting the practise CD for your PC.

Apart from just learning the questions, the Hazard Perception test is well worth practising so you don’t disqualify yourself by clicking too early or too much.

wukfit
    Free Member

Am slightly worried about the hazard perception,
    my view is everything is a potential hazard, and everyone is trying to kill me,

mrmo
    Free Member

Am slightly worried about the hazard perception,

get the DVD it does help,

GrahamS

Ah I see you’ve cycled on the road 😀

That’s why the CD/DVD is useful. I was clicking like a mad thing when I first tried the tests, but the actual hazards are fairly obvious.

peterfile
    Free Member

Apart from just learning the questions, the Hazard Perception test is well worth practising so you don’t disqualify yourself by clicking too early or too much.

+1

You’ll not pass it by just winging it.

I did my theory test back in 1998, but then never sat my test so had to do it again in 2012. It’s completely different now with the hazard perception element and you would be unlikely to pass first time IMO without knowing the code AND having a good bit of experience with the hazard perception part (being able to identify a hazard in real life and getting the points on that computer program are two different skills!!)

nedrapier

def do the practice on Hazard perception. You need to know what they’re looking for, and what’s going to score you the points. Developing hazard – something that’s leading to you having to take action. Not just any number of potential hazards.

I’d probably skim the highway code, but do as many online practice things as you can find.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’ll reiterate what has been said above – do swot up, but whatever you do, you must practise the hazard perception test.

It’s a computer game you have to learn how to play. Driving is a very analogue, nuanced activity, and the digital conversion you get in the hazard perception test throws up some rather strange mistranslations.

johndoh
    Free Member

my view is everything is a potential hazard,

If that really is true and not just a throwaway comment, then you might actually benefit from some additional training – being over-cautious can be every bit as dangerous as not being cautious enough.

peterfile
    Free Member

Pretty much everything has the potential to be a hazard though does it not?

The likelihood of that risk materialising will vary dramatically, but surely it is not correct to say something has no potential to be hazardous under any circumstances?

I see where you’re going though, but didn’t take from wukfit’s post that he’s driving dangerously as a result, more just assuming that people around you won’t necessarily drive as safely as he will?

I drive around assuming people will do stupid stuff. Which they do. A lot. That way i’m never caught off guard when it happens and i’m pleasantly surprised when someone does something sensible 🙂

Mrs file, for example, doesn’t understand physics and will happily carry on a conversation, looking at me, whilst try to get as close to the bumper in front at 60.

40mpg

My daughter did hers last month – Highway Code is important but only part of it. Make sure you know hand signals for cars too, god knows why but she had 2 questions on that 😯

As you know there’s stuff on first aid and allsorts now. Hazard perception and practice tests are available on line – just google hazard perception test online.

Practice tests here

johndoh
    Free Member

Pretty much everything has the potential to be a hazard though does it not?

Well I guess so but… Risk assessment needs to be done – for example, if I was driving along a road and saw someone walking on the pavement I wouldn’t consider that a hazard (although I would sub-consciously register their presence). If I saw a child with them and if they were on the road side of the pavement, I would consider that more of a risk. If the child was riding a bike on the pavement (damn him) then even moreso. I often move slightly towards the centre of the road if I see something that I consider could be a hazard, but if I saw all pedestrians as potential hazards then I would put myself and other road users at risk by being too cautious.

peterfile
    Free Member

Aye, I completely agree John, I was being literal for the sake of conversation 🙂

Just as you’ve said, a good mindset when your brain is scanning the road ahead is having an appropriate level of assumption. e.g. if you see a man in a field it’s reasonable to assume that he won’t jump out in front of you, so although you are aware he is there, there’s no additional attention or action needed. In contrast, to use your child example, you’re now aware he’s there, but know it’s foolish to assume he won’t come into the road, so you pay extra attention/adjust your speed etc.

In less obvious examples, I rarely assume that people have seen me (think this comes from cycling). I see the complete opposite from some drivers, not only that they presume you have seen them, but also what they are intending to do! Likewise, when I see someone’s left indicator on all I assume is that they’ve got their indicator on, not that they’re actually going to turn left until I see the car start to make the move.

Minor things that (almost) everyone does subconsciously, but probably accounts for the majority of avoidance of accidents.

GrahamS

That’s the issue though johndoh, identifying when the test wants you to recognise something as a hazard.

e.g. to me something like a car on a side road is a potential hazard. They might not stop at the give way and just pull out in front of me. (something that happens all to often when cycling)

The test advice (when I sat it a good few years ago) said to click when you first see a hazard, click when you see it developing, and click again when you’d need to take action.

But if I clicked when I saw that car but it wasn’t the prescribed hazard in the video then I’d get nothing and could be marked down for clicking too much.

And in reality I might have taken some action (i.e. covered the brakes) before the hazard developed, not after (again probably because that’s what I’d do on a bike).

Basically I think it is a fudge of a test, hence why folk need to learn to play the game.

johndoh
    Free Member

Fair enough, we are clearly thinking the same thing, I was just wondering if OP was being overly cautious it could negatively effect his performance especially in the test.

bails

As others have suggested, I think riding a bike on the road heightens your hazard perception so much that you’d probably get done for ‘over clicking’.

I was a driver before a ‘cyclist’, so don’t know how I’d do if I took one now.

But on the bike I see a side road as a hazard (someone might pull out, oncoming car might cut me up to get into the side road), a pedestrian as a hazard (might step out without looking), a parked car as a hazard (door might open, it might do a u-turn or pull away without warning). Whereas the test might just want you to click when you see the nose of the car poking out of the junction (with the view for the driver obstructed,perhaps) or when a child jumps out of the parked car.

meatfist
    Free Member

There are a number of ipad/Android apps that are very good for both the test and the hazard perception.

As said above its useful to practice the hazard perception in particular if only to familiarise yourself with the correct times to click.

wukfit
    Free Member

Just in case anyone wanted to know, I passed it this morning
    46 out of 50 on the multiple choice (43 needed for a pass)
    60 out of 75 on the hazard perception (44 needed for a pass)

What bike friendly First car?

peterfile
    Free Member

Well done! 🙂

C Class estate.

GrahamS

Oooh narrow margin 😀 Well done.

wukfit
    Free Member

Cheers guys,
    I flagged 8 answers that I wasn’t 100% sure on, and knew I only needed one of them to be right to pass,

C class would be nice, but even if someone gave me one I seriously doubt I could even afford the insurance

peterfile
    Free Member

C class would be nice, but even if someone gave me one I seriously doubt I could even afford the insurance

How old are you? It was about £2k for me to insure in my first year, but to be honest insurers wanted at least £1.5k for absolutely any car I got quotes for. Went down to £800 the next year.

wukfit
    Free Member

I’m 28, and have got some quotes so I know what to expect
    1.1 Peugeot 106 for example is £550
    My Dads got a mk2 scirocco that he said I can have (always liked them) £850
    so even though I’m a new driver I’m not looking at £3k which is the average for new drivers,

peterfile
    Free Member

That’s a pretty decent quote for the Peugeot!

I was 30 when I passed. So glad I didn’t have young driver + new driver insurance to deal with. Oddly enough, it’s now more expensive for my other half to insure my car than it is for me (she’s 25).

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Driving theory test’ is closed to new replies.