• This topic has 130 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by poly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Driving test age rise
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey … whoever think of this must be having their heads stuck in the sand …

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24485792

What’s wrong with natural culling or self inflicted death?

If this goes ahead then you might as well give up being competitive in the world. Digging deeper hole …

🙄

miketually
    Free Member

The cost of lessons and, after passing the test, insurance is putting lots of young people off learning to drive in the first place, anyway.

chewkw
    Free Member

The only people who benefits from all this is the bureaucrats who we need to feed …

miketually
    Free Member

The only people who benefits from all this is the bureaucrats who we need to feed …

And young people.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume you based this insightful and thoughtful decision based on the age data and crash data

midlifecrashes

During this stage, drivers will face the curfew and all those under 30 will be banned from carrying any passengers also under 30.

Exactly how do you carry your kids around, or are folk going to be banned from breeding until middle age too? Tis bollocks, whoever wrote it need sacking and public ridicule.

eskay

Exactly how do you carry your kids around, or are folk going to be banned from breeding until middle age too? Tis bollocks, whoever wrote it need sacking and public ridicule.

I think that is for the 12 month post test probationary period only. 30 does seem quite high though.

Cougar

The cost of lessons and, after passing the test, insurance is putting lots of young people off learning to drive in the first place, anyway.

But is it actually putting them off driving?

Drac

During this stage, drivers will face the curfew and all those under 30 will be banned from carrying any passengers also under 30.

So we can’t employ anybody unless they’re over 30 years of age.

The lack of experience is the issue this will always exist no matter how older they are when the pass their test.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I actually think this would be a good idea. That is how it is here in Germany. A young person can only take the test once they are eighteen and they are only allowed to drive with an instructor until they have taken their test. I can remember back when I took my test in the 80’s it was perfectly legal for me to drive with a provisional licence with a friend who had passed his test a week earlier as an ‘instructor’.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Great, I was going to get my license in about a year so me and my missus can both commute together and save money over trains. I also need to travel before 5am or after 10pm for work reasons.

They’re infantalising everyone under 30.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I can remember back when I took my test in the 80’s it was perfectly legal for me to drive with a provisional licence with a friend who had passed his test a week earlier as an ‘instructor’.”

thats not been the case for a number of years.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im all for making it more difficult to get your licence – make people realise its not a god given right to be able to drive.

if its harder to get then they might actually make some attempt at trying to keep it instead of driving along on phones , doing make up , reading maps / books/reports.

what id really like to see is a mandatory 1 year probhation period on a 50cc scooter – and the same as a punishment for those that lose their licence through speeding (but not drink driving) and claim hardship.

drink driving should be a blanket ban regardless of circumstances.

Drac

That is how it is here in Germany. A young person can only take the test once they are eighteen and they are only allowed to drive with an instructor until they have taken their test. I

UK sounds better.

You can practise your driving with an accompanying driver if they:

are over 21
    have had (and still have) a full licence in the same category as the vehicle you’re driving, for 3 years

nealglover
    Free Member

So we can’t employ anybody unless they’re over 30 years of age.

No. You couldn’t employ anybody under 19.

Or under 30 with a probationary license.

(How many people do you employ that have been driving less than a year anyway)

Drac

Ah right I misunderstood it then. 😳

No. You couldn’t employ anybody under 19.

We don’t now for driving regulations.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I actually think this would be a good idea. That is how it is here in Germany

Road Deaths per million (2012)
    Germany 44
    UK 28

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

A quick google shows that the 25-29 age range has a dramatically lower death rate than the 16-24 range.

I’m going to be really really fuming if this goes through.

simmy
    Free Member

No, they always find a way of getting on the road, even the ones who are going to Uni and won’t drive for 3 years are desperate to get a full licence as its one more ” feather in the cap ” when applying for work.

I think the plans are unenforcable and it’s just a slow news day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“A quick google shows that the 25-29 age range has a dramatically lower death rate than the 16-24 range.”

and how does that data correlate with age folks passed their test ?

id imagine that 16-24 has alot more Newly qualified drivers than the 25-29 range….

miketually
    Free Member

Based on unscientific “talking to my students”, far fewer of them are driving in their second year here than were ten years ago, or twenty 18 years ago when I was that age.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

@ trailrat I’d still wager if you controlled for that it would be considerably lower, by extension of that argument 50 year olds who learn to drive should go through the same process.

simmy
    Free Member

KSI figures are going down because cars are safer these days and the risk of being killed or seriously injured is a lot less than 20 years ago with the same impact or force in an accident.

Driving attitudes in this country are getting worse, just targeting the new drivers mean it will take years and years for everyone who has been on this scheme to be exclusively on the road.

Attitudes in Full Licence Holders need to be changed as its them who filter attitude down to the younger people.

nealglover
    Free Member

by extension of that argument 50 year olds who learn to drive should go through the same process.

And they will.

The same rules will apply to all new drivers regardless of age

(If they happen at all)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

(If they are passed) The same rules will apply to all new drivers.

Wrong! All new drivers under 30.

“These restrictions would apply in full to any newly qualified driver below the age of 30”

How about retesting old **** as well?

nealglover
    Free Member

Fair enough. I was listening to it at 4am on radio 4 and must have misremembered that bit.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Thought I’d gotten out of being treated like a child once I looked old enough not to be caught by the under-25 alcohol policy.

So my generation are having housing and job seekers support ripped off them, the NHS dismantled ready for when they get older, no more free higher education, increased taxes to pay for too many old people, little job creation for the young and no ability to get on the housing market…..and we’re also now getting clamped down on in this fashion by those who had **** everything compared to what we do now.

Drac

The same rules will apply to all new drivers regardless of age

Seems I wasn’t the only one who misunderstood. 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

Twenty-two percent of fatalities on Great Britain’s (GB) roads in 2011 occurred in collisions involving a driver aged 17 to 24 years old (DfT, 2012). In 65% of these collisions the fatal injuries were sustained by passengers or road users other than the young driver.

For a demographic that drive 5% of the mileage.

I can kind of see why they want to do something to improve things.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Then put black boxes in the cars and link them to police stations…dangerous driving sorted.

40mpg

New drivers would also face a curfew between 22:00 and 05:00 unless a passenger aged over 30 was in the car.

So my daughter, who is currently learning, and finishes work at 10, would be able to drive to work (there’s no other practical way of getting there as its in the middle of nowhere), but then be stuck. Great. Better to have it so they are the only occupant ie no distractions / peer pressure as this appears (from the press) to be a significant factor in accidents.

It recommends a one-year “learner stage” beginning at 17, during which drivers would have to total at least 100 hours of daytime and 20 hours of night-time practice under supervision.

At £25/hour = £3,000 😯 I’m signing up to be a driving instructor! Guaranteed work!

emac65
    Free Member

So putting driving limits on new drivers between the ages of 18-30…. That’s an awful lot of potential voters to lose..
    Can’t see that being brought in….

nealglover
    Free Member

At £25/hour = £3,000 I’m signing up to be a driving instructor! Guaranteed work!

I was wondering about that.
    If those 120 hours have to be with a qualified instructor, it could be a shrewd move.

The current average is something around 45 hours lessons to pass.

That would instantly jump to 120 hours (minimum)

Quite an increase in business.

Purely subjective like, but looking SWSD junior’s circle of school friends, ALL of those who passed their test on or near their 17th birthday had significant accidents not long after. These ranged from the amusing – knocking over parents front wall three times, to the not amusing – several months in intensive care.

It certainly put junior off learning to drive untill she was in her 20s.

trail_rat
    Free Member

interestingly everyone i know that passed on intensive courses soon after their 17th birthday either crashed seriously or got banned pretty quickly.

one of my mates got pulled for doing 60 in a 40 the afternoon after his test – then stuck the car on its roof that night.

MSP

there’s no other practical way of getting there as its in the middle of nowhere

Great, another bonus, people will have to start making choices without the almighty car ruling all decisions.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So msp how sre rural youngsters meant to find work? No empathy and very narrow minded.

MSP

How do they buy a car in the first place without a job? How did they manage 20 years ago before every teenager expected to run a car as soon as they turned 17? How about a bicycle or a moped?

No empathy and very narrow minded.

Exactly my thoughts on “car society”.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

How do they buy a car in the first place without a job? How did they manage 20 years ago before every teenager expected to run a car as soon as they turned 17? How about a bicycle or a moped?

A 1000 pound corsa + 900 quid for driving lessons + 1500 to 2000 for insurance is a hell of a lot easier than that plus another 3000 quid and still needing to give them lifts.

These policies make it harder and harder for young adult to become independent which as the Guardian has pointed out is psychologically damaging an entire generation.

Exactly my thoughts on “car society”.

Instead of penalising the young to further your hippie views you should first start dealing with the underlying reasons why people need to commute in the first place. Which is a lack of **** reasonably priced houses around economically prosperous towns and cities.

MSP

Instead of penalising the young to further your hippie views you should first start dealing with the underlying reasons why people need to commute in the first place

You mean parents choosing to live in locations where there is no work for their children.

They are talking about restrictions for 1 year from the point they passed their tests, in order to allow them to gain some controlled experience.

I would prefer young drivers not to die, the idea that cars are essential for independence is rather new, selfish and absolute bullshit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Driving test age rise’ is closed to new replies.